Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

Dowdy wrote: »
    :eek: :confused: :mad:

Sweet mother of god, please say this isn't true... Can you let us know where you heard this, or at least back up your claim in some way? I'm screwed too, if this is the case, mine is kind of interdisciplinary too.

I'm going to ring the IRCHSS now to see if they can confirm or deny this. Christ...

@Lord Octane - there's no such thing as a level playing field, the game is always rigged. Haven't you watched The Wire? :)

I am quite sure about this, a senior lecturer told me in confidence- I can say no more than that. I am a bit upset at the comments I am receiving, I am sorry to bring bad news but I have been contributing to this forum intently over the past few weeks and really felt that it was important to keep everyone in the loop. I should've said nothing, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I am quite sure about this, a senior lecturer told me in confidence- I can say no more than that. I am a bit upset at the comments I am receiving, I am sorry to bring bad news but I have been contributing to this forum intently over the past few weeks and really felt that it was important to keep everyone in the loop. I should've said nothing, perhaps.

Hey, don't be upset, people are just a bit freaked out after hearing that, it was a shocking rumour to all of us.

I'm still not sure whether your rumour has any substance - the lecturer you heard this from may have been privy to a false rumour himself/herself. We just can't know.

Listen - none of us know for sure, we won't know until the DES approve a list of candidates, and based purely on the statistics from last year the majority of us would be rejected anyway. So let's not fret too much, try to face this with some measure of stoic resignation, and forget all about it for now and continue to enjoy the fine weather.

Unless it rains. Then we're all screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Dear all,

I have it on good authority that the budget for this year's round of postgrad scholarships has been dramatically attenuated. Instead of last year's healthy 152, this year's successful applicant list will look more like 22!

Nonsense. I wouldn’t believe everything I hear on the corridors of NUIG.
    What I am saying is that all applications are not being judged the same <SNIP>.

More nonsense. From the corridors of UCD no doubt.
    I'm going to ring the IRCHSS now to see if they can confirm or deny this. Christ...

I'm sure they will be delighted to share the intimate details of sensitive negotiations with you....

--

Note to all here, have a read of the thread and just have a think about some of what you are posting.

Also, consider the number of 'researchers' here 'quoting' boards.ie as a source...

Do any of you really expect to benefit from a highly competitive 'award' made on the basis of academic excellence?

I ain't seeing much of it here...

I am quite sure about this. <SNIP> I should've said nothing, perhaps.

1) No you are not. You are wrong.

2) No perhaps about it, you were told, albeit incorrectly, in confidence.

Listen - none of us know for sure, we won't know until the DES approve a list of candidates.

There is no list involved. Only a number, in direct proportion to the available funding from national government. An International Board decides who meets the quality bar and who doesn't. After that the funds go to the best candidates in rank order. There is no politics, no elections, no subject bias, no institutional bias or otherwise.

It's down to money - or lack of it and how this might tie in with national policy.

---

In October 2008, Minister Batt O'Keeffe outlined the detail of the 2009 Budget provision for his Department:

There will be restrictions in the volume of awards made by the two Research Councils (Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology and Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences).

• Advertisement

TJJP wrote: »
    Also, considered the number of 'researchers' here 'quoting' boards.ie as a source?

Do any of you really expect to benefit from a highly competitive 'award' made on the basis of academic excellence?

Yeah, everyone here is 'quoting' boards.ie as a source and would also do so in a doctoral thesis. You see, we can't distinguish between the free-for-all, unsubstantiated, informal discourse of an internet forum, and the authoritative, carefully researched, fact-checked, and reasonably argued discourse of academia. To us, they're one and the same thing. We're stupid like that.

To respond to your post with another question - do you really expect to see academic excellence on boards.ie? Carefully attributed quotes from reliable sources? And if so, why on earth would you expect that? This is a place for blathering and venting - the academic excellence occurs elsewhere and is evident (or not, as the case may be) in people's academic writing, not in their random internet posts.

Your other points are all good though, I must admit!

There is no list involved. Only a number, in direct proportion to the available funding from national government. An International Board decides who meets the quality bar and who doesn't. After that the funds go to the best candidates in rank order. There is no politics, no elections, no subject bias, no institutional bias or otherwise.

It's down to money - or lack of it and how this might tie in with national policy.

---

In October 2008, Minister Batt O'Keeffe outlined the detail of the 2009 Budget provision for his Department:

There will be restrictions in the volume of awards made by the two Research Councils (Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology and Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences).

So the DES doesn't see a list of candidates, just a number? I had assumed they got to have a gander over the list, but what you say makes more sense surely.

Did Batt O'Keeffe give any specific details as to the size of the restrictions, do you know? That was announced in October's budget, so the IRCHSS would have been aware of the volume of awards available and would have provided the DES with a number commensurate with that, so it still leaves the current DES impasse unexplained.

I'm tired of this speculation though really. I think I'll give up on this thread because the rumours flying around are just freaking me out more than anything.

Good luck to everyone anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Howyamissus

So the DES doesn't see a list of candidates, just a number? I had assumed they got to have a gander over the list, but what you say makes more sense surely.

Did Batt O'Keeffe give any specific details as to the size of the restrictions, do you know? That was announced in October's budget, so the IRCHSS would have been aware of the volume of awards available and would have provided the DES with a number commensurate with that, so it still leaves the current DES impasse unexplained.

I'm tired of this speculation though really. I think I'll give up on this thread because the rumours flying around are just freaking me out more than anything.

Good luck to everyone anyway...
    Hey Dowdy,
    I know how you feel (I suppose we all do -- that's the point of the blog). But yeah the rumour mill is getting a little tiresome. However, I for one am finding it very difficult to concentrate on my research as I am so anxious. Like everybody all my plans are contingent on IRCHSS. Anyway hopefully Ireland can cheer us up when they beat Bulgaria tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 _hybrid_

there has only been a small amount of cuts to the IRCSET funding, can you really think that they would divide the irchss funding by 8 and think they would get away with it?. . .i dont think so, i reckon 100 will get places, absolute minimum 80

i believe you are telling the truth that you believe what you were saying but that could have been told to you for a variety of reasons and without thorough knowledge of the context none of us could really make a decision on whether or not it is plausible.hearsay doesn't hold up in court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

Nonsense. I wouldn’t believe everything I hear on the corridors of NUIG.

More nonsense. From the corridors of UCD no doubt.

I'm sure they will be delighted to share the intimate details of sensitive negotiations with you....

--

Note to all here, have a read of the thread and just have a think about some of what you are posting.

Also, consider the number of 'researchers' here 'quoting' boards.ie as a source...

I don't think comments on a forum are any indication of one's research or academic ability. Also, It's hard to be objective when all guidelines provided so far have been transgressed and vandalized. I didn't hear that comment in a corridor and fully realize that it is unconfirmed and ultimately cannot really be confirmed prior to the issuing of the results. The best of luck with you're application however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

What I meant about a level playing field was that the IRCHSS should stick to their own rules. It's the same old story with rules only being applied when it suits. I am surprised that more of you haven't expressed any anger over this. The reality is at least some of you will be rejected and you will be told that you breached the guidelines even though others will do the same and get funded. It is simply not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

The hysteria. Blood on the floor. Remind anyone of academe?

Your proposal was been judged by 3 people and is already in one of the categories outlined on the terms & conditions. Alpha** and Alpha* will be in very small numbers (yes, even out of c.650 applicants) and if there's any money, they'll get the scholarships and congratulations to them.

Alphas will be in greater numbers and therefore are probably the cause of the delay: IRCHSS may want all Alphas funded; the Govt may want to fund the top two levels only. If there are negotiations it will be to rank the Alphas in order to reach a cut-off point, only then will the extra considerations come into play. I'll say it again - the IRCHSS is working on our behalf and would fund us all if they could.

As for whether they'd cut Humanities but not Science: of course. What jobs are your proposals going to generate? Mine might generate one for me, if I'm extremely lucky.

Another point - cutting the scholarships from €16K to c.€10-12K pa would make the money go farther. This is also likely to be on the table. So don't go splashing the cash just yet if you think you have an Alpha** to your name.

Forget the scholarships. Find a Plan B, let the IRCHSS get on with the talks and stop eating each other. If someone shares info well and good. That's what this is for. Keep a tight rein on your self-control, then put your energies into finding an alternative source of income. Every PhD student I know has a part-time job.

Ruki wrote: »
    The hysteria. Blood on the floor. Remind anyone of academe?

Your proposal was been judged by 3 people and is already in one of the categories outlined on the terms & conditions. Alpha** and Alpha* will be in very small numbers (yes, even out of c.650 applicants) and if there's any money, they'll get the scholarships and congratulations to them.

Alphas will be in greater numbers and therefore are probably the cause of the delay: IRCHSS may want all Alphas funded; the Govt may want to fund the top two levels only. If there are negotiations it will be to rank the Alphas in order to reach a cut-off point, only then will the extra considerations come into play. I'll say it again - the IRCHSS is working on our behalf and would fund us all if they could.

As for whether they'd cut Humanities but not Science: of course. What jobs are your proposals going to generate? Mine might generate one for me, if I'm extremely lucky.

Another point - cutting the scholarships from €16K to c.€10-12K pa would make the money go farther. This is also likely to be on the table. So don't go splashing the cash just yet if you think you have an Alpha** to your name.

Forget the scholarships. Find a Plan B, let the IRCHSS get on with the talks and stop eating each other. If someone shares info well and good. That's what this is for. Keep a tight rein on your self-control, then put your energies into finding an alternative source of income. Every PhD student I know has a part-time job.

Wise words Ruki -- I, for one, am struggling to think straight due to the anxiety. It is like waiting for a bus that never comes. It is the waiting that leads us all to idle speculation. But thanks for the sensible words.

Wise words Ruki -- I, for one, am struggling to think straight due to the anxiety. It is like waiting for a bus that never comes. It is the waiting that leads us all to idle speculation. But thanks for the sensible words.

Hear hear. Let's maintain our cool and we'll know soon enough. I'm tired of the speculation. I'm getting stuck into working on a conference paper here anyway, and I've already paid for my registration. If I get a scholarship to help me with that, great, but if I don't at least I'll have this on my academic CV.

Just to keep people updated. I rang IRCHSS again this morning. There has been no change -- they are still waiting to hear back from DES. I'm sure they are sick of us calling but they are quite friendly on the phone and sympathetic to our anxieties.

Just to keep people updated. I rang IRCHSS again this morning. There has been no change -- they are still waiting to hear back from DES. I'm sure they are sick of us calling but they are quite friendly on the phone and sympathetic to our anxieties.

Yeah I would have to agree that the staff are very friendly - One of the them mentioned that some candidates had contacted their local TDs to exert some pressure to speed up the decision - might be an idea if anybody knows any. The other option is we get the number of Batt of O'Keeffe's office and ring it on mass just to give us something to take our minds of waiting of the results. It's not like we have anything else important like a PhD to be doing :)

Yeah I would have to agree that the staff are very friendly - One of the them mentioned that some candidates had contacted their local TDs to exert some pressure to speed up the decision - might be an idea if anybody knows any. The other option is we get the number of Batt of O'Keeffe's office and ring it on mass just to give us something to take our minds of waiting of the results. It's not like we have anything else important like a PhD to be doing :)

Well said, Lord Octane. Lets put our anxiety into action. I just rang the DES. Having gone through several people who don't know what IRCSS is I eventually got through to an answering machine. I left a message. I then emailed Batt of Keefe. I urge everbody to do the same. His Email address is minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie . I entitled in IRCHSS Postgraduate Scholarship. Perhaps if he sees the email withthe same title over and over again, he and his crew will act?? Perhaps optimistic -- but here's hoping

Well said, Lord Octane. Lets put our anxiety into action. I just rang the DES. Having gone through several people who don't know what IRCSS is I eventually got through to an answering machine. I left a message. I then emailed Batt of Keefe. I urge everbody to do the same. His Email address is minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie . I entitled in IRCHSS Postgraduate Scholarship. Perhaps if he sees the email withthe same title over and over again, he and his crew will act?? Perhaps optimistic -- but here's hoping

Howyamissus I just sent that email - at least it is better than doing nothing:)

I don't believe it I got a reply to my email with 3 mins of sending it!!!:)
    Here it is:
    Thank you for your e-mail to the Minister for Education and Science, Mr. Batt O'Keeffe, TD regarding IRCHSS Postgraduate Scholarship.
    Your correspondence will be brought to the Minister's attention as soon as possible
    Yours sincerely
    Gerry O'Rourke
    Correspondence Unit

I think people should keep sending emails because clearly I wasn't the first given that I got such a quick resposne to my email.

Go the power of SPAM:D

I don't believe it I got a reply to my email with 3 mins of sending it!!!:)
    Here it is:
    Thank you for your e-mail to the Minister for Education and Science, Mr. Batt O'Keeffe, TD regarding IRCHSS Postgraduate Scholarship.

Your correspondence will be brought to the Minister's attention as soon as possible

Yours sincerely

Gerry O'Rourke

Correspondence Unit

I think people should keep sending emails because clearly I wasn't the first given that I got such a quick resposne to my email.
    Go the power of SPAM:D
    I sent mine an nearly an hour ago -- No reply yet though. Again, like Lord Octane, I encourage everyone to email.

• Advertisement

I just sent an email around to all the Postgrads in my Department, asking them to email Batt O'Keefe (minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie). 3 have already done it. Here's to people power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dr. comic

hi all

only saw this thread now, you have no idea how it feels to see that others are in the same boat... but we live in hope!

my area is theology by the way... anyone anthing similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

dr. comic wrote: »

I'm afraid you may be on your own.

dr. comic wrote: »
    hi all

only saw this thread now, you have no idea how it feels to see that others are in the same boat... but we live in hope!

Pray for us, please... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dr. comic

i dont mind it just means i'm unique:) sides there are loads of economists in the world and looks where thats got us right now!:D

sorry no can do with the prayers i need all the help i can get myself;)

best of luc everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bellg124

just out of interest, what did you say in the email?

bellg124 wrote: »
    just out of interest, what did you say in the email?
    My email to O'Keefe reads as follows:

Dear Minister O'Keeffe,
    I, along with many other PhD students, made an application for a Postgraduate Scholarship from the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS). The results of this award were due to be announced by the middle of May. I have contacted IRCHSS a number of times. They maintain that they sent the list of candidates to the Department of Education several weeks ago but are still waiting for the department to sign off on the scholarships. Meanwhile thousands of applicants are in a serious state of anxiety, unable to plan for the forthcoming year. Could you please shed some light on when your department will sign off on these scholarships and put us out of our misery.
    Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potoftea

My email to O'Keefe reads as follows:

Dear Minister O'Keeffe,
    I, along with many other PhD students, made an application for a Postgraduate Scholarship from the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS). The results of this award were due to be announced by the middle of May. I have contacted IRCHSS a number of times. They maintain that they sent the list of candidates to the Department of Education several weeks ago but are still waiting for the department to sign off on the scholarships. Meanwhile thousands of applicants are in a serious state of anxiety, unable to plan for the forthcoming year. Could you please shed some light on when your department will sign off on these scholarships and put us out of our misery.
    Best Wishes

I wrote a similar email to the junior minister. Just thought widening the bases couldn't hurt.

Hi guys,
    I have been ringing the Department of Education over the last couple of days. I eventually got through to the person who knows something about IRCHSS. Throughout my various phone calls I was surprised with how helpful they were in trying to get to the bottom of my query. Anyway, I have good news for all those waiting on IRCHSS. DES told me that they have signed off on the IRCHSS Scholarships and results will be due in the next few days. They are not, however, privy to IRCHSS administration so they are speculating when they say results will be posted in the next few days. I am sick of ringing IRCHSS -- Can someone else ring to see what they say.
    The end is in sight folks -- Good luck to all.

• Advertisement

Like you Howyamissus IRCHSS have me blackmarked me becuase I have made so much contact with them:). I am glad to hear that there might be some end in sight and thanks for ringing DES. If anybody has contacted the IRCHSS it would be great if you posted up their response.

Advertisement