Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Hooray!! Ah, that news is almost as good as Declan Ganley's hilarious recount fiasco yesterday! Not quite as good, but almost. What a week this is turning out to be! The public sending a clear message to Fianna Fáil, the humiliation of Libertas, AND the end of a seemingly interminable wait for results of the scholarship application.

Still though, it could be bad news if the letter is a rejection, but at least now the wait is almost over. It's the not knowing that's the real killer.

Cheers for the information, and your tireless efforts, and the best of luck to all of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

I know it is not the political thread here but I would have to say in relation to Ganley it was great that he was in the election because his call for a recount highlighted big questions over the counting process - how the hell do you lose 3000 votes and what was the the story with the wheelie bins - If I don't get funded can I call for a recount or something;) but it could end up in the IRCHSS taking money off me - given the way the country is at the moment it would not surprise me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Howyamissus

I just rang IRCHSS. They cannot confirm that the results will be out in a few days. However, they told me that the director has met with the Dept. of Education. IRCHSS staff are to meet with the director this afternoon. I will call back in the late afternoon and hopefully we will get confirmation by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 potoftea

I just phoned the IRCHSS. The person I spoke to said that they haven't got official confirmation from the DES yet and that it's still a "waiting game". That's a bit at variance with what DES are sating so I'm not sure what this could mean. (Perhaps the official documents are in the postal system? Who's to say!)

While I was onto her, I asked about any possible delays that might occur once they do actually get it. She didn't seem to think there'd be any. She said they were ready to go and would get them out as soon as possible.

I know it is not the political thread here but I would have to say in relation to Ganley it was great that he was in the election because his call for a recount highlighted big questions over the counting process - how the hell do you lose 3000 votes and what was the the story with the wheelie bins - If I don't get funded can I call for a recount or something;) but it could end up in the IRCHSS taking money off me - given the way the country is at the moment it would not surprise me

Yeah, 3000 votes was a large deviation from the true count to be sure. I just despise Ganley, there's a lot of sinister **** going on behind the scenes with that man, I'm sure of it. Where did all his money come from? Who was responsible for the murder of that Albanian guy? Many questions remain unanswered. Bad and all as the current shower of hoors are, I would rather a bunch of incompetent fools whose corruption and lack of transparency is at least at the level that one expects from Irish politicians at this stage. I fear Ganley is at a different level altogether.

Anyway, forget about the politics here, let's remain hopeful that this week will see the end of the mother-of-all-waits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mr dissidence

potoftea wrote: »
    I just phoned the IRCHSS. The person I spoke to said that they haven't got official confirmation from the DES yet and that it's still a "waiting game". That's a bit at variance with what DES are sating so I'm not sure what this could mean. (Perhaps the official documents are in the postal system? Who's to say!)

While I was onto her, I asked about any possible delays that might occur once they do actually get it. She didn't seem to think there'd be any. She said they were ready to go and would get them out as soon as possible.

Sounds like they still haven't received confirmation! I'd be hopeful though (now that the elections are over) that we will get the results soon. Maybe early next week? Can't wait for all of this to be over!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruki

Well this looks promising. Just want to say thanks for all the calls etc. It's interesting that it comes in the wake of yesterday's email onslaught - if we'd knonwn where the hold-up was earlier, we could have swung into action earlier. While the wait has been tough, it's been long enough for me, at least, to reconcile myself to any outcome. I just hope someone gets some funding after all this!

Thanks again, especially Howyamissus - you're a star (hopefully an Alpha double-star!)

All the best, gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

My Message for the IRCHSS and the DES is - "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!"

Ruki wrote: »
    Well this looks promising. Just want to say thanks for all the calls etc. It's interesting that it comes in the wake of yesterday's email onslaught - if we'd knonwn where the hold-up was earlier, we could have swung into action earlier. While the wait has been tough, it's been long enough for me, at least, to reconcile myself to any outcome. I just hope someone gets some funding after all this!

Thanks again, especially Howyamissus - you're a star (hopefully an Alpha double-star!)

All the best, gang.
    Cheers Ruki,
    When I was speaking to DES, they actually referred emails sent. I don't know if it helped or not (several people in my Dept. who did not even apply for IRCHSS sent emails) but at least it helped some of us express our anxiety.

I just rang IRCHSS. They cannot confirm that the results will be out in a few days. However, they told me that the director has met with the Dept. of Education. IRCHSS staff are to meet with the director this afternoon. I will call back in the late afternoon and hopefully we will get confirmation by then.

Hey Howyamissus,

Have you given the IRCHSS another call yet? Mind you, they may not have finished their meeting yet.

• Advertisement

Dowdy wrote: »
    Hey Howyamissus,

Have you given the IRCHSS another call yet? Mind you, they may not have finished their meeting yet.
    Hey Dowdy,
    No, I am waiting until 4pm. Like you say they may not have finished their meeting yet. I will post as soon as I hear, hopefully by 4.05pm.

Hey Dowdy,
    No, I am waiting until 4pm. Like you say they may not have finished their meeting yet. I will post as soon as I hear, hopefully by 4.05pm.

Good stuff, cheers!

Ladies and gentlemen,
    I just got off the phone with IRCHSS. The good news is that we will receive our letters by Thursday or Friday -- this is from the horses mouth. There is one thing I forgot to ask him -- Have there been any cuts. Can somebody ring up IRCHSS and ask how many people have been successful? If I ring again, they will not be happy.

Ladies and gentlemen,
    I just got off the phone with IRCHSS. The good news is that we will receive our letters by Thursday or Friday -- this is from the horses mouth. There is one thing I forgot to ask him -- Have there been any cuts. Can somebody ring up IRCHSS and ask how many people have been successful? If I ring again, they will not be happy.

At this stage, they should really just post a provisional list online. They know the list, they should release it now that they've got the clearance! Thanks for all your help, and I really hope I am wrong about the budget being cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dr. comic

howyamissus you are great!:)

least now i'm gonna be sitting at the letterbox knowing somethings coming... lets just hope its good:D

best of luck and to everyone else too:)

At this stage, they should really just post a provisional list online. They know the list, they should release it now that they've got the clearance! Thanks for all your help, and I really hope I am wrong about the budget being cut.
    About that potential budget cut. Would you mind ringing IRCHSS enquiring about this and asking for an exact number of successful applications? It would be nice to know our chances.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Great stuff Howyamissus, thanks for all your efforts! I guess now we'll just have to wait for that anticipated letter... Fingers crossed...

Don't really have time to ring them myself, here at work, very busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

No they shouldn't. All 630 applicants should be treated in the same way, and in accordance with the terms and conditions. People shouldn't have to go to a website to find out if they are one of the 145 successful or not. If you don't like the rules of application, don't apply.

And you are wrong, as you've been told twice already.

TJJP wrote: »
    No they shouldn't. All 630 applicants should be treated in the same way, and in accordance with the terms and conditions. People shouldn't have to go to a website to find out if they are one of the 145 successful or not. If you don't like the rules of application, don't apply.

Ok thanks for your comments, but could you relax the attitude a bit, I am entitled to my opinion.

TJJP. Would you mind taking the initiative to make the call to IRCHSS and ask them for the number of successful applicants. This would clear it all up. I feel there is a lot of free-riding going on here. I have been ringing IRCHSS and the Department of Education and putting up my Posts. Could you please ring to enquire about the final figure.
    Cheers,
    Howyamissus

• Advertisement

TJJP. Would you mind taking the initiative to make the call to IRCHSS and ask them for the number of successful applicants. This would clear it all up. I feel there is a lot of free-riding going on here. I have been ringing IRCHSS and the Department of Education and putting up my Posts. Could you please ring to enquire about the final figure.
    Cheers,
    Howyamissus

See quote below.
    All 630 applicants should be treated in the same way, and in accordance with the terms and conditions. People shouldn't have to go to a website to find out if they are one of the 145 successful or not.

ps... before you go calling IRCHSS see terms and conditions re discussion of outcomes/results over the phone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bellevue

I contacted Fine Gael's Leo Varadkar on this last week, and he put in a question to the Minsiter which he got answered today. Might have helped speed things up on getting the response.

Uimhir:692

Ceist Pharlaiminte

Chun an Aire Oideachais agus Eolaíoctha
    To the Minister for Education and Science

To ask the Minister for Education and Science the date on which he received the recommendations of the International Assessment Board in relation to the IRCHSS Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2009; the date on which he was informed that these recommendations were accepted by the Research Council; the reason for his delay in approving these recommendations in view of the fact that the results of the scheme were due to be announced in mid May 2009; when he expects to approve these recommendations; and when he expects that IRCHSS will announce the results of the scheme.
    - Leo Varadkar.

* For WRITTEN answer on Tuesday, 9th June, 2009.
    Reference Number: 22751/09

Freagra

Minister Batt O'Keeffe

The Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS), which was established in 2000, provides funding for cutting-edge research in the humanities, social sciences, including business and law. The IRCHSS operates a suite of interlinked research schemes, including the Government of Ireland Post-Graduate Scholarship Scheme.

The International Assessment Board for the 2009/2010 IRCHSS Postgraduate Scheme met in late April 2009 to consider over 600 applications to the Scheme. The Board's recommendations were accepted by the Research Council at its meeting in mid-May and subsequently conveyed to my Department. Given the multi-annual nature of these awards, the IRCHSS has been working closely with my Department
    on the finalisation of the award process. These discussions have now concluded and I understand that the Council will be contacting applicants in the coming days.

bellevue wrote: »
    I contacted Fine Gael's Leo Varadkar on this last week, and he put in a question to the Minsiter which he got answered today. Might have helped speed things up on getting the response.

Ceist Pharlaiminte

To ask the Minister for Education and Science the date on which he received the recommendations of the International Assessment Board in relation to the IRCHSS Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2009; the date on which he was informed that these recommendations were accepted by the Research Council; the reason for his delay in approving these recommendations in view of the fact that the results of the scheme were due to be announced in mid May 2009; when he expects to approve these recommendations; and when he expects that IRCHSS will announce the results of the scheme.
    - Leo Varadkar.

Freagra

Minister Batt O'Keeffe

The Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS), which was established in 2000, provides funding for cutting-edge research in the humanities, social sciences, including business and law. The IRCHSS operates a suite of interlinked research schemes, including the Government of Ireland Post-Graduate Scholarship Scheme.

The International Assessment Board for the 2009/2010 IRCHSS Postgraduate Scheme met in late April 2009 to consider over 600 applications to the Scheme. The Board's recommendations were accepted by the Research Council at its meeting in mid-May and subsequently conveyed to my Department. Given the multi-annual nature of these awards, the IRCHSS has been working closely with my Department
    on the finalisation of the award process. These discussions have now concluded and I understand that the Council will be contacting applicants in the coming days.

Haha - typical ministerial obfuscation, but fair play to you bellevue, it was a good idea to go that route.

Ceist Pharlaiminte

- Leo Varadkar.

Freagra

Minister Batt O'Keeffe

WELL DONE

See quote below.

ps... before you go calling IRCHSS see terms and conditions re discussion of outcomes/results over the phone.....
    TJJP, This refers to individual outcomes, not to the overall number so you could still make the call -- but you wont. You have not been helpful to this blog at all. You are just free-riding on other people's work. Your blogs are also very unpleasant. I agree that Mr. Dissidence should not have made reference to speculation vis-a-vis cuts in numbers of successful applicants but I believe that he did it with our best interests in mind. You only seem to contribute to the blog to criticise him. I have no intention of stooping to your level of unpleasentness but wanted to make my feelings known.

Ceist Pharlaiminte

- Leo Varadkar.

Freagra

Minister Batt O'Keeffe

Well done Bellevue -- I for one really appreciate your contribution and thanks also for posting it. Good luck with the results

TJJP, This refers to individual outcomes, not to the overall number so you could still make the call -- but you wont. You have not been helpful to this blog at all. You are just free-riding on other people's work. Your blogs are also very unpleasant. I agree that Mr. Dissidence should not have made reference to speculation vis-a-vis cuts in numbers of successful applicants but I believe that he did it with our best interests in mind. You only seem to contribute to the blog to criticise him. I have no intention of stooping to your level of unpleasentness but wanted to make my feelings known.

That is unfair.

I am not an applicant. I have nothing to gain from posting here. Yet, I am the only person to consistantly post correct and accurate information.

I have given you the exact numbers you asked for. You have failed to read my post.

That is unfair.

I am not an applicant. I have nothing to gain from posting here. Yet, I am the only person to consistantly post correct and accurate information.

I have given you the exact numbers you asked for. You have failed to read my post.

How can you be sure of this TJJP? Do you work for the IRCHSS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dr. comic

Originally Posted by TJJP viewpost.gif
    All 630 applicants should be treated in the same way, and in accordance with the terms and conditions. People shouldn't have to go to a website to find out if they are one of the 145 successful or not.

hey TJJP
    not giving out to you or anything but i was just wondering where you got the above figures from?

• Advertisement

That is unfair.

I noticed that about your conspicuously precise numbers alright. How are you privy to that information, if you don't mind my asking? I suspect you're not at liberty to say.

And listen - no need for people to start sniping at each other here. TJJP, you may have been correct in pointing out that rumours of a major budget cut were wrong, I think it was just the tone of your dismissal that people found a bit rude and unnecessarily abrupt. Your figures, if correct, are very much appreciated, as are your reminders to be realistic and ease up on the speculation.

And Howyamissus - I can't speak for everyone but I really appreciate your efforts. I don't think anyone is free-loading on your efforts - some of us are more or less inclined to make enquiries, and some of us are in more or less of a position to spend time making those enquiries. I'm tied to a desk here at work though and don't have time to be ringing the IRCHSS myself for numbers, plus at this stage it wouldn't matter all that much apart from providing us with some idea of what our chances might be. Once the letters arrive in a couple of days, the odds of success will have collapsed to either 100% or 0% anyway, so the statistics won't be a huge addition to us, except as a merely academic exercise (see what I did there? ......groan)

So let's all stop fretting and sniping, and just wait for the news (good or bad) to arrive in the post.

Advertisement