Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on English essay, help plz!!!!!!!

Options
  • 29-03-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

You have been elected President of Ireland. Write out the text of your first speech to the Irish people.

Any ideas on possible paragraphs, tips etc????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Obviously start with - delighted to be elected; then want to represent everybody; then want to be available for people to meet me; then understand times are difficult but I want to provide a focus for progress....
    Maybe a bit about the need for the role of the Pres to be reviewed?
    Maybe a bit about more involvement in the possibel effects of new laws before I sign them?

OK??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

throw in a few sayings here and there, few clichés and george bush quotes, (not really), and u'll be grand. say what you have planned for the future e.g. get the country outta the recession and whatnot and yer fairly sorted. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

You might get some idea's from President Obama ;)http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/20/obama.politics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Something about the recession, and your plans to combat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

two words for you

big words

when I'm an english teacher i'll dedicate my frist class to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

be sure to like include quotes from past presidents. be formal but speak in an understandible and genuine tone. dont worry too much about big words. it very obvious if you have just lobbed a fancy word in here and there to make you essay look good. use them where relevant!! also speak in a logical manner i.e. thank the peoples first for electing you, then go on to your plans and finish with a rousing sermon i.e. change, which will really excite the country etc.... hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    two words for you

big words

when I'm an english teacher i'll dedicate my frist class to it

It's possible to write fantastic English with vivid imagery and well built structure and score very well without resorting to lobbing in 11 characters every now and again. Do any good writers in the broadsheets lob in these for no reason whatsoever just so they can seem intelligent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

It's possible to write fantastic English with vivid imagery and well built structure and score very well without resorting to lobbing in 11 characters every now and again. Do any good writers in the broadsheets lob in these for no reason whatsoever just so they can seem intelligent?

yes but not every child is gifted with this ability :) hence big why big words are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

throw in a quote or two from DeV, ....no, the other one
    "The Ireland which we would desire of would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as the basis of a right living, of a people who were satisfied with frugal comfort and devoted their leisure to the things of the soul; a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and valleys would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contests of athletic youth, the laughter of happy maidens; whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of old age. It would, in a word, be the home of a people living the life that God desires that men should live.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    yes but not every child is gifted with this ability :) hence big why big words are great
    It's not a matter of being gifted, more so having an understanding of why and when to use these tools. It is an ability that is attained through practice alone and to try substituting 'big words' for an understanding of the English language is a terrible thing to teach students. Personally, I believe it will do more harm than good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement