Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P60/P45 Question

Options
  • 29-03-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Are you still entitled to a P60 and P45 if your employer hasn't been deducting tax from your wages and paying you cash in hand??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Are you still entitled to a P60 and P45 if your employer hasn't been deducting tax from your wages and paying you cash in hand??

Your best bet is to contact Revenue directly, they'll sort you out with all
    the paperwork you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

Short answer is no, you're not 'entitled' to either if you're not a PAYE taxpayer.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if its "cash in hand" no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No. You'll also find that you won't have been earning any PRSI contributions for this work if you go to claim Jobseekers Benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

wouldn't go ringing the revenue to volunteer that I had been working cash in hand (i.e illegally) either! opening up a whole can of worms there!

unless there is some very specific reason why you cannot go through the books officially (your business, not judging) but unless you MUST fly under the radar there is little to be gained in working cash in hand if you are getting a wage on the lower tax bracket. In the long run if anything happens (accident at work, sacked, etc) then at least you have PRSI contributions and can get SW. And if you are on the lower tax bracket the tax isn't that bad considering. If I were you I would look into going legit with your employer if its possible.

Also I have heard of a lot more people being reported for cash in hand now that others are unemployed. The SW inspectors seem to be cracking down a lot more too, so be careful.

• Advertisement

wouldn't go ringing the revenue to volunteer that I had been working cash in hand (i.e illegally) either! opening up a whole can of worms there!
    Unless things have changed the Revenue are very fair towards an employee who comes forward. Obviously they'll expect back payment of the taxation but other than that they're not really interested in penalising the employee but rather the employer.

Unless things have changed the Revenue are very fair towards an employee who comes forward. Obviously they'll expect back payment of the taxation but other than that they're not really interested in penalising the employee but rather the employer.
    paying back taxes for possibly years and more than likely loosing your job are not options I think most people would volunteer for - especially with jobs scarce on the ground. I think it is more practical to approach your employer and ask to go legit.

I think that's a given. If the Revenue make contact with the employee rather than the other away around I'd expect them to be far less generous.

Another point to note is that the earnings per week required for an employee to earn a full (Class A) PRSI contribution are quite small. The level of cost to the employer to put more than that much earnings through the books is relatively low.

yeah that is what I was saying - unless there is some reason why you must fly under the radar there is little benefit to either you or your employer to pay CIH.

Advertisement