Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Friends of Israel

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

A new support group ( and about time too ) has been launched, Northern Ireland Friends of Israel. Hopefully they will have a website up soon with contact details etc. It's to counter the IRA supporters calling on a boycott of Israel. As a Northern Ireland citizen I can empathise with the Isreali's and their fight against terrorism. The great pity was that the British government did not the hard line with the terrorists like the Israeli's. Here is some more details from the Jerusalem Post.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1237392661225

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As a Northern Ireland citizen I can empathise with the Isreali's and their fight against terrorism.

As an Irish citizen I can empathise with the Palestinians and their fight against the occupation of their land by American and Russian immigrants.

Wasn't this the group launched by Ian Paisley? No surprise really, right-wing descendants of a planter people with a superiority complex supporting other right-wing descendants of a planter people with a superiority complex. Birds of a feather and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bomb throwing birds of a feather too eh FTA69?

mike65 wrote: »
    Bomb throwing birds of a feather too eh FTA69?

Que?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A new support group ( and about time too ) has been launched, Northern Ireland Friends of Israel. Hopefully they will have a website up soon with contact details etc. It's to counter the IRA supporters calling on a boycott of Israel. As a Northern Ireland citizen I can empathise with the Isreali's and their fight against terrorism. The great pity was that the British government did not the hard line with the terrorists like the Israeli's. Here is some more details from the Jerusalem Post.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1237392661225

So, do you support any of the following?
    • Displacement of Palestinian population, including bulldozing of their housing and land.
    • Prevention of much needed medical attention to injured Palestinians ( Source )
    • IDF members wearing t-shirts, which glorify the killing of women and children. ( Source )
    • IDF members using an 11 year palestinian child as a human shield (Source )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

dlofnep wrote: »
    So, do you support any of the following?
    • Displacement of Palestinian population, including bulldozing of their housing and land.
    • Prevention of much needed medical attention to injured Palestinians ( Source )
    • IDF members wearing t-shirts, which glorify the killing of women and children. ( Source )
    • IDF members using an 11 year palestinian child as a human shield (Source )

Well, yes he obviously does. And what's more he obviously thinks the same tactics should have been used in Belfast and Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

FTA69 wrote: »
    As an Irish citizen I can empathise with the Palestinians and their fight against the occupation of their land by American and Russian immigrants.

As an Irish citizen, I can empathise with both. Israel has a right to exist, however abusing the rights of Palestinians is outright wrong. As for them being American or Russian, DNA shows that they have Semitic genes for the most part and that they have lineage from the former inhabitants of the land. I think they have a right to return to their ancestral homeland.
    Wasn't this the group launched by Ian Paisley? No surprise really, right-wing descendants of a planter people with a superiority complex supporting other right-wing descendants of a planter people with a superiority complex. Birds of a feather and whatnot.

I believe there is an Irish Friends of Israel too, infact in nearly every single country of the world you will find one. Yes, the NI one is set up by Ian Paisley, so what? It's hardly a new phenomenon.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I think they have a right to return to their ancestral homeland.

At the expense of displacing Palestinians? They can return to their homeland by all means, but not when it involves them knocking down houses, bulldozing farms and locking the people who live there in a virtual prison.

At the expense of displacing Palestinians? They can return to their homeland by all means, but not when it involves them knocking down houses, bulldozing farms and locking the people who live there in a virtual prison.

Thank you for ignoring my post:
    As an Irish citizen, I can empathise with both. Israel has a right to exist, however abusing the rights of Palestinians is outright wrong.

Thank you for ignoring my post:

I didn't ignore your post. I'm expanding further on your statement.

I didn't ignore your post. I'm expanding further on your statement.

I made it crystal that I don't support human rights abuses, but I support Israel's right to exist. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Funny how its always the oppressed people defending themselves that are the "terrorists"

Nice way to troll, mrtaylor1981

I'm sure you'll get everyone fired up now..:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I don't think he was trolling Martyr. He genuinely believes in his support of Israel.

Whats so wrong about advocating Israel's existence? That's what I want to know. I advocate Palestinian rights within an Israeli state also. I don't know why both can't go hand in hand. The one state solution to me is the only tangible option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Whats so wrong about advocating Israel's existence? That's what I want to know. I advocate Palestinian rights within an Israeli state also. I don't know why both can't go hand in hand. The one state solution to me is the only tangible option.

So you see a one state, Israel?

What about just jews having rights in a Palestinian state?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

As an Irish citizen, I can empathise with both. Israel has a right to exist, however abusing the rights of Palestinians is outright wrong. As for them being American or Russian, DNA shows that they have Semitic genes for the most part and that they have lineage from the former inhabitants of the land.
    If your going to try and justify Israel , bringing up DNA is not the way to go about it.
    Sure why dont we all go back to africa, thats our ancestral homeland.

There is nothing wrong with advocating Israel's existence. There is a problem with Israel existing at the expense of the Palestinian people.

"I advocate Palestinian rights within an Israeli state also"

And what's wrong with Jewish rights within a Palestinian state? Why do the Palestinians have to live within an Israeli state? Why do the Palestinians have to lose their homes so that Israel can extend it's state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

As a Northern Ireland citizen I can empathise with the Isreali's and their fight against terrorism. The great pity was that the British government did not the hard line with the terrorists like the Israeli's.

Wow, just wow.

I have considered before the similarities between NI Unionists and Israelis. The arrogance, the belief in their own superiority, relegating the original inhabitants of their land to second class citizens, thinking they are entitled to displace an entire community etc.

So mrtaylor, you wish the British government had done their best to obliterate the entire nationalist community?

Its also funny how another poster has said he supports the right of Israel to exist because thousands of years ago they lived there; the same argument is totally dismissed by unionists when they speak of the Irish claiming Northern Ireland.

So a people displaced thousands of years ago have the right to return to 'their' land and go about reclaiming 'their' country (forgetting that other people actually live there now)? But NI has been in British hands for a few hundred years and therefore Ireland has no claim to it?

I suppose if you're British you have to right to do what you like and impose your will on anyone you please.
    What kind of mentality does it take to believe you have the right to hand someone's country (Palestine) to another people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

You know whats funny, I have never been a political person. Until fairly recently my views on NI went along the lines of 'why can't we all just get along?' and 'well it doesn't affect me directly so I don't care'.

In the last year or so, I've thought about this and other issues. I have traveled quite a bit and met quite a few Israelis and while i hate to generalise - their arrogance is staggering! Granted they were by and large twentysomethings just out of the army. But to me they just seemed totally brainwashed and spoke openly about wanting to see 'the enemy' dead. I suppose when you live in a state under constant threat from within and without you develop a thick skin. but part of me couldn't help but think that under that fierce Zionist belief, that seemed so over the top, was a doubt - a doubt that what they believed in so fiercely might be completely wrong. Not just their attitude to the Palestinians, but their belief that the State of Israel should exist at all.

I see the same attitude in unionists, albeit not to such an extreme. No tolerance for any suggestion that NI might actually rightly belong to Ireland, a thinly veiled contempt for Irish culture (acceptable only as a minority culture - 40% is a pretty big minority). If we were to play word association, what word comes to mind when you hear the word 'unionist'?
    For me its 'staunch' - unyielding, uncompromising.

But maybe I'm wrong; maybe I'm the one who has been brainwashed by republicanism. Perhaps arriving in a country in droves with the aim of displacing the original occupants and creating your own country is ok; perhaps using your military might to crush those who dare assert their independence is acceptable; after all they are the terrorists - but if the army of a 'legitimate' state kills people for the sake of maintaining their soverignty, well, that's ok.

So you see a one state, Israel?

What about just jews having rights in a Palestinian state?

We know your a Hun
    We know your a Hun
    Mr.Taylor, we know your a Hun

The political structures in Israel, if Palestinians were allowed to run for Knesset seats in Israel, and if the Palestinians were allowed to live anywhere within the State of Israel like their Israeli Arab counterparts the problem would be for the most part alleviated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Unfortunately, I don't think he was trolling Martyr. He genuinely believes in his support of Israel.
    I'd agree he's not trolling in the sense of posting something he actually disagrees with, however I do think he's trolling in the sense of trying to piss people off.

I'm sure right-wing Protestants in the North have loads of time for Jews... and always did, even before it became "the thing" for them to back Israel. ;)

• Advertisement

There's a picture of these right-wing loyalists that was taken recently, where they were performing the Hitler salute whilst holding an Israeli flag. The mind boggles.. I'll see if I can find it.

s an Irish citizen, I can empathise with both. Israel has a right to exist, however abusing the rights of Palestinians is outright wrong. As for them being American or Russian, DNA shows that they have Semitic genes for the most part and that they have lineage from the former inhabitants of the land. I think they have a right to return to their ancestral homeland.

Lineage from thousands of years back, me or you could convert to Judaism tomorrow and be granted Israeli citizenship. I hear a lot about "ancestral homeland" (millenia ago) but little about the Palestinians living in squalid refugee camps after they were run off their land but 50 years ago.

Lineage from thousands of years back, me or you could convert to Judaism tomorrow and be granted Israeli citizenship. I hear a lot about "ancestral homeland" (millenia ago) but little about the Palestinians living in squalid refugee camps after they were run off their land but 50 years ago.

I'm quite aware of that. Even still most genetic studies suggest Gentile interbreeding with Jews is as low as 2%. I posted these on another thread. Even still this is irrelevant.
    I see the same attitude in unionists, albeit not to such an extreme. No tolerance for any suggestion that NI might actually rightly belong to Ireland, a thinly veiled contempt for Irish culture (acceptable only as a minority culture - 40% is a pretty big minority). If we were to play word association, what word comes to mind when you hear the word 'unionist'?
    For me its 'staunch' - unyielding, uncompromising.

I think "staunch - unyielding, uncompromising" could also apply to Republicans.

I think Unionists only want to have the right to their national identity and to remain with Britain, and if most people in NI want that, fair play to them, thats their perogative and their right.
    Dudess wrote:
    I'm sure right-wing Protestants in the North have loads of time for Jews... and always did, even before it became "the thing" for them to back Israel.

Well there was a big thing with British Israelism. Infact the Ulster Solemn League and Covenant in 1912 is motivated much by it. It mimics God's promise to Abraham in the Torah (Genesis 17). British Israelism is based on the belief that they are descended from the royal tribe of Judah (the line of King David) in the Bible. Most modern day Jews are believed to have come from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. So, yes there probably was a bit of an attachment to Israel with certain groups of Protestantism.

Then again, I don't see what this has to do with legitimate support of Israel's continued existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a website for this new venture, so theres no meat to rip into, so to speak....
    The political structures in Israel, if Palestinians were allowed to run for Knesset seats in Israel, and if the Palestinians were allowed to live anywhere within the State of Israel like their Israeli Arab counterparts the problem would be for the most part alleviated.

Well no, there'd be a lot more to be addressed. It would be good to remember that Arab land ownership isn't deemed sacrosanct in the OT before talking about them house shopping in Tel Aviv.

Personally, I don't think either community could be trusted in power over the other. In addition, the major Israeli parties have all committed themselves to the 'Jewish majority'. Thats something which excludes incorporating large numbers of Arabs as citizens (even if they were willing to become such, which is unlikely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's a picture of these right-wing loyalists that was taken recently, where they were performing the Hitler salute whilst holding an Israeli flag. The mind boggles.
    Not one bit surprising. Stupidity and inconsistency are things which elements of the far right do very well indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

As much as ive thanked the above posts pointing out certain things, its a troll OP. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Dudess wrote: »
    Not one bit surprising. Stupidity and inconsistency are things which elements of the far right do very well indeed.

Same with the far left for that matter.

What's really hard to understand is that the Arabs surrounding Israel have never been able push the Israeli military into the sea. They've superior numbers, fairly decent equipment and generally willing troops when it comes to fighting Israel...I know this isn't as relevant nowadays but all through the fifties till the seventies the only thing they lacked in my opinion is sound military leadership and strategy and that's what Israel has in abundance. I know American military aid plays a large role but until the late eighties all the Arab states in the area were more than welcome to Soviet supplies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

I'm quite aware of that. Even still most genetic studies suggest Gentile interbreeding with Jews is as low as 2%. I posted these on another thread. Even still this is irrelevant.

I think "staunch - unyielding, uncompromising" could also apply to Republicans.

I think Unionists only want to have the right to their national identity and to remain with Britain, and if most people in NI want that, fair play to them, thats their perogative and their right.

Well there was a big thing with British Israelism. Infact the Ulster Solemn League and Covenant in 1912 is motivated much by it. It mimics God's promise to Abraham in the Torah (Genesis 17). British Israelism is based on the belief that they are descended from the royal tribe of Judah (the line of King David) in the Bible. Most modern day Jews are believed to have come from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. So, yes there probably was a bit of an attachment to Israel with certain groups of Protestantism.

Then again, I don't see what this has to do with legitimate support of Israel's continued existence.

I don't mean to get off topic but the NI state is a falsehood, what about asking the whole island do they want a section of it to remain British. Of course the present arrangement allows for it to remain part of the UK, they pick and chose the counties that would give them a significant majority over nationalists.

I completely agree with the statement that the Zionists and Unionists seem to have an unashamed arrogance when it comes to legitimising their psuedo-states. And that somehow God above granted them these lands. If you and your neighbours moved into a neighbourhood in another county after the residents were forcebly moved from their homes for you to live in, what would your reaction be? Are you really surprised that terrorism exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

What a load of b****x.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The great pity was that the British government did not the hard line with the terrorists like the Israeli's

Well the Northern Ireland government did a great job of administrating N.I before direct rule was re-imposed from London, didnt it?:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement