Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Friends of Israel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If this thread generates more heat than light, it will be shut down, and red cards handed out. However strongly you feel about your support for Israel/Palestine, it is neither a reason nor an excuse for being rude to other posters.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How Dare People Express their support for isreal?

HOW DARE THEY!

Where do i sit on the political Spectrum then. I believe Both Palistine and Isreal have rights to exsist. I Dont Agree with Isreal Using tactics as Quoted above. I Dont believe that Isreal should have to put up with rocket attacks against border towns.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Following on from Scofflaw's post, I've handed out some red cards for accusations of trolling, which is explicitly prohibited by the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How Dare People Express their support for isreal?

HOW DARE THEY!
    A case of missing the point/being disingenuous. Anyone has a right to pledge their support for the state of Israel, to speak out against Hamas attacks... What people find objectionable here though, is the agenda of this support group to which the OP is referring. It's backing "Israel and its fight against terrorism" - well yes, if you consider a support for keeping the Palestinians downtrodden and Israel exerting its superiority (has quite the familiar ring to it in this corner of the globe) the same as the above.
    Also, the way the OP worded his/her opening post was very inflammatory - lamenting the fact the British government didn't use the same tactics as those of the Israeli government on terrorists (I wonder when the OP says "terrorists" does (s)he just mean "the IRA"? I'd imagine so).
    This organisation really only looks like a vehicle for bigoted, sectarian unionists to vicariously continue looking down on nationalists and to support the hegemonic state of play in Israel/Palestine - something very close to their hearts...

Oh and I'd very much have my doubts that the more redneck elements of the loyalist community, with their connections to skinhead movements in Britain, have any time for Jews - but it's handy for them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My god I despair at the pathetic small mindedness of this. They will swoop to pretend to care about other issues that have nothing to do with Northern Ireland to try and get under each others skins.

Its playground pettiness of the worse kind. In fact I would guess children would have more maturity. (Just waiting for the "cause they started it excuse").

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Yusuf Mirza

1228383364cartoon.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He's not an Arab.

...none of which justifys Israels occupation and colonisation of the areas outside its borders, an activity which predates Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad. They are the product of Israels deeds, not the cause. Their religous nature is the failure of the secular world to support the Palestinian struggle and a reflection of the desperation of the people.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

1228383364cartoon.gif
    Exactly what is that supposed to contribute to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Watched an interesting programme a few months ago about how a hatred for isreal is actully manifesting itself in anti-semantism what was more interesting is that this anti-semantism was actully eminating from the left rather then the more usual right wing.
    FYI most of the jewish community in Northern Ireland actully consider themselves unionist and would be unionist voters.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Exactly what is that supposed to contribute to the discussion?

It would seem to be a reference to the little known incident where Mary tried to nab Cuchulainn off the rock, only to be bayoneted by a nearby IDF member.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I can't say I am too bothered about this really, the whole thing seems like a childish stab at the Nationalists up North by the people who set this thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

junder wrote: »
    Watched an interesting programme a few months ago about how a hatred for isreal is actully manifesting itself in anti-semantism what was more interesting is that this anti-semantism was actully eminating from the left rather then the more usual right wing.
    FYI most of the jewish community in Northern Ireland actully consider themselves unionist and would be unionist voters.

I have always wondered why those who support Israels policies against the Palestinians, are not similarly accused of Anti-Semitism, after all the Palestinians are Semites as well.

Now, of course I think its silly to call either sides supporters Anti-Semites, what with both sides of the conflict being Semitic peoples and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The left traditionally doesn't agree with imperialism, colonisation and nationalism.

The left traditionally doesn't agree with imperialism, colonisation and nationalism.

but anti-semantism is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Actually, he called for Zionism to be removed from the page of time. And I agree with him, Zionism is a disgusting mentality which supports the creation of a state based by religion at the expense of those already living there. Zionism attacks anyone who criticises the Israeli state and labels them as jew-haters.
    Given that Northern Ireland has been under the continuous rule of the British crown since the twelfth century—about two hundred years before Geoffrey Chaucer wrote the Canterbury Tales, and four hundred years before the birth of Shakespeare—it's hardly surprising that the province has been somewhat resistant to adopting a "culture" that was largely created ex nihilo in the late nineteenth century. That unionists are unyielding in their defence of centuries-old traditions should hardly raise eyebrows, either.

And yet, it was resisted for centuries. Go figure..

Care to give examples of this said anti-semitism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Read wes' post.

"The province"? I assume you mean "unionists"? What about the sizeable minority of nationalists within said province, who, if we're going to get all historical about things, were eh... there before the unionists?
    And the province is Ulster, which comprises three other counties that are part of the Republic - I always wonder why unionist hardliners have such a love for the word "Ulster".
    The "anti-semitism" accusation is seriously bottom-of-the-barrel scraping. Yeah, condemnation of Israel's draconian policies is also a condemnation of Judeaism. Give me a break.
    It's the NF off-shoots that are the anti-semitic ones.

See for example:

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5041: What is left anti-semitism?

• Advertisement

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5041

What is left anti-semitism?

(.............)and self-righteous left-wing anti-semites.

tl.

That article was terrible. Do you have any thoughts of your own on the matter, or are you just going to plagiarize someone elses?

Antisemitism implies a prejudice towards people because they are Jewish.. Being against Zionism is an entirely different ideology. Although the Zionists have hidden behind these accusations for years, without ever addressing the issue at hand - Which is the suffering of people at the hands of a Zionist occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

See for example:

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/5041: What is left anti-semitism?

Do not post full-page articles, please. People are having a discussion - a link plus the most relevant paragraphs is OK, but the full article is not.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Can we not let this discussion evolve into one about the border issue? I swear to God, someone only has to mention the words "Northern Ireland" and a guarantee a couple of pages down the line it'll become a Republicans v everyone else argument.

Off topic, however, I can't really let that go....

Dear o dear.....
    "From my earliest youth I have regarded the connection between Ireland and Great Britain as the curse of the Irish nation, and felt convinced, that while it lasted, this country would never be free or happy. In consequence, I determined to apply all the powers which my individual efforts could move, in order to separate the two countries"

I'm referring to those who were native to the area prior to colonisation and the influx of settlers - I think you know that too... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

wes wrote: »
    I can't say I am too bothered about this really, the whole thing seems like a childish stab at the Nationalists up North by the people who set this thing up.

How does supporting Israel's existence constitute a stab at nationalists? There is an Irish Friends of Israel down here in the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm referring to those who were native to the area prior to colonisation and the influx of settlers - I think you know that too... ;)

Many of us are now descended from these settlers. Should we all just pack up and leave? (In both Republic and the North). Indeed we'd have to give everyone a blood test to make sure too. Can't take too much precaution in situations like these :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement