Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are all these mysterious new green pillar boxes?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago what I thought was a new post box appeared at the end of our road. It is a rectangular box on a pillar about postbox size and a perfect postbox green but it turns out it isn't a postbox. In fact it has no identifying marks on it at all. I thought no more about it until I began seeing these boxes all over Dublin, all of them fairly new. There's a big bunch of them around the Stilllorgan area of Dublin.

They are not beside traffic lights or road lights and they bear no distinguishing marks. Anybody know what these are?

Conspiracy theories would be welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are for storing post so that postmen/women do not have to go all the way back to the delivery office. There have been threads on this before, but I'm too lazy to search.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

If you don't see them, it doesn't mean they are not whatching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

spurious wrote: »
    They are for storing post so that postmen/women do not have to go all the way back to the delivery office. There have been threads on this before, but I'm too lazy to search.

Does that mean that if you get one of those 'missed the postman/unable to deliver' notices on Friday(as I did), that the postman just deposits all your stuff into one of those boxes for the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think important or large stuff goes back to the Delivery Office.
    I understand them to be for ordinary post. The postman sets off in the morning with whatever his bike or he can carry and a post office van goes round and fills these boxes so that he/she can pick up their next lot without going back to the Delivery Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jos28 wrote: »
    Does that mean that if you get one of those 'missed the postman/unable to deliver' notices on Friday(as I did), that the postman just deposits all your stuff into one of those boxes for the weekend.
    In my area, that type of post (usually parcels or registered mail) is delivered seperately by a postman in a van rather than by the normal postman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement