Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you repeat?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

would you repeat even if you didnt get the course that you wanted, or maybe just the course you thought you would get?

I for one would never repeat unless i really had no choice, i.e. failed maths or didnt get my last choice,etc.

so would you repeat?

would you repeat if you didnt get your 'most desirable' course? 38 votes

yes
    0%
    no way
    42%
    CarefulNowironictoasterSligoBrewerJayeireGERMAN ROCKSKeyLimePiephase-3degausserxoMichellenmanbythewoodsDaemosDubsWebenjybooAruQueenOfLeon 16 votes
    only if I REALLY had to
    57%
    PistemikemacDevil5434FadirishmonkeyxOxSinéadxOxlou91antomorro-seizonEEEMr Maroondermo1990JohnG18english4490MalloxnaasfaceDanteDes23OH-MY-CANDLEKournikovaDenerick 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I actually don't know tbh, would depend on what course I ended up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I actually don't know tbh, would depend on what course I ended up with.

its a tricky one aint it? id probly repeat if i didnt get science in ucd which is my 5th or 6th choice, but i really doubt i wont get that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

only if I REALLY had to
    Nothing would make me want to repeat.

Also if I go by last years points and this years mock results, I have an 80 point surplus for choice number 2, 35 short for number 1. I think I'll get what I want.

Easter is going to be unpleasant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

only if I REALLY had to
    Nah if I didn't get medicine I'd probably be able to get at least my lowest choice which is about 350 points. If I ended up not getting anything on my CAO I'd repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

When I was doing my LC I swore I'd never do it again, but to be honest, if I didn't get the points for what I REALLY wanted, and I felt I could if I repeated, I probably would have. I've seen people really miserable doing college courses they either don't like or didn't REALLY want to do, and for one year of pain I think it's worth getting what you want in the end.

Of course, this doesn't shield you from the possibility that you'll get your course and discover you hate it, but research etc. should hopefully avoid such a miserable eventuality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

only if I REALLY had to
    HELLZ NO

I'd go to a community college and transfer to an IT or something. I'd move to Cyprus and become a farmer. I'd take out a loan and buy myself into a private college. I'd do ANYTHING. Just not the LC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

no way
    I would repeat if I was absolutely certain what course I wanted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

only if I REALLY had to
    absolutely no way! no chance in hell I'll be repeating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

well if i don't get the course i really want, or a similar one, then yeah i'd repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

no way
    yeah, suppose so.

7 years in school though is a bit.. ya know. Terrible.
    If I was to repeat, I'd feed the horrible institution that is the Institute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

only if I REALLY had to
    No I will take any of the Ten choices and if I get nothing I believe Ethiad are recruiting Cabin Crew for the Gulf region :lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I have set Arts in UCD as my cut off point for repeating. I should get at least that but my lack of motivation to study and my mocks would have me think otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I got into Science in Trinity and my next choice was Science in DCU. If I didn't get either of those I really would have considered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

only if I REALLY had to
    Not a hope in hell i'd repeat.

Have myself entirely covered. Bottom on my level 8's is 315, if i dont get that, theres they level 7's - in and around 200 points for most.
    And even failing that...

Plc courses ftw :)

Already got a place on one, just gotta send my form back.

Anything to get my out of second level education, and into third level/further education, also, get as much hands on experience as i can.

Sorted :D

Still need to study loads over easter tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I would love to say hell no, but I know that if I got absolutely none of my ten courses, I'd do it all again. But I'd have to do extremely terribly to not get one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'td kill me to repeat but all my courses are around the same points and if i dont get at least 350 then im gauranteed not to get any of them and that me working hard so it may have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

no way
    Where's the option for "I am repeating and sure, it's grand".

I was very determined not to repeat, but I'm glad I did.
    It's only an extra year in the end of the day, plus it really flies by.

Wouldn't have been able to go back to my old school, saying that, what an awful hoooooooole of a place it was. More than that, I didn't like the year that was below me- full of a lot of tools. Nice people too, mind.
    I didn't do TY and a lot of people I wouldn't be mad about did- total cleansing tbh.
    (No offence to anyone from said year who's on boards.. i know there's at least one :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

only if I REALLY had to
    Had I not done 4th year I would probably be a lot more inclined to say yes, but going back for a 7th year, and probably costing a lot of money, I would rather do it once and do it as best as I can. Although if I dont get my first choice I wouldn't be that keen to go to college. I also get to go to Dublin if I get it wheras everything else I want to do is at home in Cork. Decisions decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

no way
    Repeated last year for Med....

If you need to repeat then go for it, why settle for your second choice
    It's second for a reason you know..

It's only another year, not even that! Go for it
    Best year in secondary by far for me...
    However; in saying that you need commitment from the offset, if your dedicated enough to your first choice on CAO you won't give repeating a second thought.
    Start studying from the off, even in Summer... do not leave it till after Xmas like the majority of 6th yrs (first time LCers) do.
    Study for a yr and then reap the rewards for a lifetime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

only if I REALLY had to
    NO WAY!!

i got 390 in the mocks (i literally did NOTHING) Im aiming for 500 in the LC. (I know,i know its a long shot!) but still even if i got 200 points or something i'd do a level 6 or 7..
    Not spending another year here! and my friends living it up in college!
    Not a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I would if I absolutely had to ie no choices at all in Cao, but not in my own school, not a hope in hell. I've seen the teachers that will be doing Higher Irish and all that next year, and also the year thats in it... theres a school nearby that does a proper repeat programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

only if I REALLY had to
    No way in hell would I repeat this bloody year...

Cannot wait to finish this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

If i had to i would, like if i got sick coming up to the leaving or something

Someone near me repeated 4 TIMES before finally getting vet med

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

no way
    Unfortunately, ya i think i would. But the more i think of the possibility of that happening, the more I'm motivated to study :D Yeyyy...

Definately wouldnt do it in my school tho...i did ty so joining people who were originally 2 years behind me...dont think so!! Also, the year behind me is reeeally small (like 30-40 people) and cos of that they have no chemistry or accountancy classes, so I'd be having 2 or 3 free classes a day and would have to do those on my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

no way
    Unfortunately, ya i think i would. But the more i think of the possibility of that happening, the more I'm motivated to study :D Yeyyy...

Definately wouldnt do it in my school tho...i did ty so joining people who were originally 2 years behind me...dont think so!! Also, the year behind me is reeeally small (like 30-40 people) and cos of that they have no chemistry or accountancy classes, so I'd be having 2 or 3 free classes a day and would have to do those on my own :(

I gather your in the mercy yeah?
    Would you not have 2/3 classes every day though anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

no way
    I gather your in the mercy yeah?
    Would you not have 2/3 classes every day though anyways?

Heyy no....im not actually from Sligo City!! Woopsies!! But nobody would have a clue where im from if i said like the name of the town :o West Sligo actually, thats all im saying :D
    emm 2/3 classes of what every day? Sorry im a bit slow tonight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

I would if I really had to but I've applied to Scotland aswell as Ireland(over 100pts of a difference in some uni's over there:)) so hopefully I won't need to. I did TY already, it's optional in my school, so I would feel really really old if I did repeat. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Well I only have 5 courses down, but even at that my third choice is my cut off, and even if I got offered my 3rd I really wouldn't be too happy taking it.
    Sounds arrogant, but there really are no other courses I want to do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Oh god, I really hope I won't have to do this all over again!!
    Having said that I probably would if I didnt get my first couple of choices..... Fingers crossed if won't come to that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'd only repeat if I REALLY had to. Like most people if I didn't get any choices or by some freak of nature I failed honours maths (got a c2 in the mocks so with a bit of work I hope i'm safe). The way i'm fixed is I want to do European Studies which is 495 because I like languages and want to study them, and the history and politics aspects seem interesting. However if I don't get that I have French and Spanish in TCD which is 450. Modern languages in UCD and other language related subjects. I got 485 so far in the mocks so with a bit more work it should be doable. :)

Advertisement