Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding a small lizard.

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've have small lizard left in my care for the next 2 weeks, I don't know what breed it is but he's light in colour and about 6 inches long. I've been left a box with about 6 live crickets in it, but I really can't imagine this will keep the lizard going for 2 weeks, will it? If not, is there anything household you can feed a lizard? Would I be able to pick up more crickets in any petshop?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really don't have a clue. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

barnesd wrote: »
    Hi,

I've have small lizard left in my care for the next 2 weeks, I don't know what breed it is but he's light in colour and about 6 inches long. I've been left a box with about 6 live crickets in it, but I really can't imagine this will keep the lizard going for 2 weeks, will it? If not, is there anything household you can feed a lizard? Would I be able to pick up more crickets in any petshop?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really don't have a clue. Thanks.

try post a pic and i might be able to tell you what kind of lizard it is
    6 crickets might well be enough for him for 2 weeks, if not you can get more in almost any pet shop.

did you friend not leave instructions o on how to care for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

try post a pic and i might be able to tell you what kind of lizard it is
    6 crickets might well be enough for him for 2 weeks, if not you can get more in almost any pet shop.

did you friend not leave instructions o on how to care for it??

No they didn't :mad:

Turns out there's about 8 crickets actually, some were hiding. I stuck a bit of apple in their box to feed them. Would I want to be giving the lizard 1 a day?

This isn't him but he looks very like this (which is actually a gecko):

leopard-geckos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I have a feeling it is a bearded dragon that you have there. Does it look like this?

http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/bearded-dragon-pictures/bearded-dragon-02.jpg

Had a quick look at Google images, do all bearded dragons have those spines? If so, it's definitely not a bearded dragon. As I said, it's almost identical to that picture I posted above.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Yeah that's more like it.

That last pic I used was a bad one as it was a young leopard Gecko. Try this pic instead

http://www.rfadventures.com/images/Animals/Reptiles/lizards/leopard-gecko-bg.jpg

Kess73 wrote: »
    That last pic I used was a bad one as it was a young leopard Gecko. Try this pic instead

http://www.rfadventures.com/images/Animals/Reptiles/lizards/leopard-gecko-bg.jpg

He's a bit whiter than that but I'd be 99.9% sure he's that species.

The colour can vary from one to another, some are lighter and some are more colourful with dark patches.

These links may be of help to you.

And don't leave many crickets in with him/her at night, as if you put in too many, the left over ones may climb on the gecko and eat into it.

http://www.leopardgecko.co.uk/documents/caresheet/leopardgeckocaresheet.php

http://www.leopardgecko.co.uk/documents/caresheet/caresheet.htm

Grand, thanks a lot. Will make sure I throw a bit of apple in the cage along with crickets so. I guess I'll just buy some more crickets, better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement

Grate the slice before you leave it in overnight, and not a big slice either.

Most good petshops will have a good selection of live food.

They also love mealworm which is available in pretty much every petstore in this country.

I left 2 crickets and a bit of apple in the tank last night. The crickets ate the apple but the gecko didn't eat the crickets. He seems very reluctant to come out of his hiding place and his tail seems a lot smaller (as in not as fat) as the one in the pictures posted. Could he be sick or underfed? I'm going to get some mealworms to see if he eats them.

Was he fed just before you got him?

Does he have water to drink, and is he properly heated?

It is possible that he is ill or underfed, or it could be that the gecko is not used to the change in his routine.

Let us know how he fares with the mealworm, and with luck someone else on this forum may pop up with some other advice that may help you.

There's a heat mat in the cage and I'm making sure he always has water. Will post back how he gets on with the mealworm.

Thanks again for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 niceguyjoe

no matter what lizard it is . try get them off them crickets the nuturition value is very low compaired to roaches .
    if hes young try locusts mid or small size .
    but idealy get him on dubia roaches asap. there 4 or 5 times better in many ways of diet.
    i breed my own and my lizard loves them
    if i can help in any way let me know
    good luck
    ps. mix peppers and romain lettuce in too if you can not get romain try chinese leaf.

I put 2 mealworms into his cage a bit earlier, just checked back and I can't see them anywhere so I'm assuming he ate them. I'll give him some more later on. Just glad he's eating now, was afraid there was something wrong with him.

niceguyjoe - thanks for the advice, I'll let my friend who owns it know he's better of on roaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

If you think he's underfed you can try to get him some wax worms to eat too, they are very fattening and are good for feeding an underfed lizard. The are easy prey for the gecko too as they are like small caterpillars.

tallus wrote: »
    If you think he's underfed you can try to get him some wax worms to eat too, they are very fattening and are good for feeding an underfed lizard. The are easy prey for the gecko too as they are like small caterpillars.

Will pick some up, thanks. Concerned about the little guy I have to say.

barnesd wrote: »
    Will pick some up, thanks. Concerned about the little guy I have to say.

Be careful how many waxworm you give to him. Think of waxworm as fastfood to the gecko. Nice for a treat but not often. Only let him have a couple waxworm a week.

They can be quite addictive to the gecko and are very fattening and not in a good way if fed them on a regular basis.

ive some roaches that are adults well amost fully grown im selling off . south dublin area

way cheaper than pet stores too .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

how much

OP, did everything work out fine?

ive worms and roaches there mate... sure pm me . cheers

Advertisement