Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Boiler Busted?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi

I dont know much about this stuff but i need some advice.

I have a Riello 40 G3B oil burner on a Heat-Age 60/90 boiler.

Its external in a housing, inside the housing the top panel of the boiler has all but disintigrated with rust and the fumes are coming out through the rusted top instead of the flue. The top of the external housing gets very hot, the area around the flue gets hot enough to char timber.

Do I need to replace the whole boiler unit? A quick look for prices show me around €2500 to €3000.

Everything seems to be working okay though.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bigdon

I wouldnt use that boiler if i were you,those fumes are lethal,ive just had my boiler shut down by gas bord for rusty back casing although no fumes are escaping,Get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

leptonite wrote: »
    Hi

I dont know much about this stuff but i need some advice.

I have a Riello 40 G3B oil burner on a Heat-Age 60/90 boiler.

Its external in a housing, inside the housing the top panel of the boiler has all but disintigrated with rust and the fumes are coming out through the rusted top instead of the flue. The top of the external housing gets very hot, the area around the flue gets hot enough to char timber.

Do I need to replace the whole boiler unit? A quick look for prices show me around €2500 to €3000.

Everything seems to be working okay though.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that make of boiler, but if the top plate has rusted away I assume its one of the more modern type with baffle plates inside instead of the old fashioned cast iron finned pipe sections. The trouble with the new type is that if the burner oil/air ratio is not correct then you can end up with an oxidising flame that hits the baffles. It will then bore though them and bypass the heat exchanging surfaces of the boiler, As a result the situation you describe occurs. The top casing gets very hot and collapses eventually and a great deal of heat escapes through the flue. The temperature control on the burner will keep it running longer in an attempt to get the heat into the boiler, so you will burn a lot more oil and will be only heating your neighbourhood. You might be able to get someone in a metal workshop to make up new baffle plates and even a new top plate, but you would then need to get the burner set up properly or you would just go through the same exercise again. There was a thread about this a while back but I can't immediately find it. Jamesm responded to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Presuming 60/90 is in thousands of btu the prices you state are WAY off,
    You would be better off going new if boiler is old, much savings to be had!
    Can't see it costing you more than 1500 all in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 plumber r us

the price you have been quoted on a boiler is wrong it should be between 1000 to 1600 euros but did your price include fitting because that still seams exspensive

Advertisement