Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mont Blanc July 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭claxxix

Hi Andy,

Could u please drop me an e mail with your phone no and il give u a buzz re the mt blanc climb. I have a few questions that i need to ask you regarding the details of the climb. My e mail address is claxxix@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

Hi Brian,

I have sent my details to your address!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Noangel72 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to complete a group of four people to attempt the summit of Mont Blanc from the Italian side (Courmayeur). The programme is organised by the Alpine Guide Italian Association and runs over 6 days, 2 peaks around 4000m, rest day and finally Mont Blanc. You book directly with the Alpine Association, so you are not bonded to me in any way. The price is great: 650euro for the 6 days, it includes 2 nights in 2 different huts, insurance and all cable cars.
    The programme runs from the 2nd to the 7th of July; if you are interested I can send more information or simply visit:

http://www.guidecourmayeur.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=128&category_id=98&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=149

Hi,

Im very interested in this, and maybe another guy, can you send us more information?? email andrewhoward0@gmail.com, and we ca talk mor, thanks!

Hi,

I have sent you all information by email!

Andy

Hi,

I should have mentioned that the route onto Mont Blanc that we will be using is that of La Voie des 3 Monts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc#Climbing_routes

this route is graded at PD (not very difficult).

Andy

• Advertisement

C'mon, where are the Irish Mountaineers? Join me and enjoy spectacular views from the highest peak in Europe.....Mount Blanc July 01-07 2009....this could be you celebrating a great achievement!!!.....I am still looking for three people to complete a team of four!

2005-0817-0899.montblanc.3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I've been on Mont Blanc so I'll pass this time OP. Fantastic experience though! Going to the Ecrins this summer myself. :) Did you think of trying to join an existing group rather than forming your own? It probably can't hurt to fire off an e-mail to some of the different guiding companies.

.....most commercial companies go up from the Chamonix side and are generally very expensive; being Italian myself I have chosen the Italian side and the Guide Association there has good prices, they will most likely complete the group on my behalf but I thought I would look for a couple of mates in Ireland....would give me a chance to go up with someone I get to know before the trip..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Noangel72 wrote: »
    Join me and enjoy spectacular views from the highest peak in Europe.....

Mt Elbrus at 5,642 m?

I'm hoping to climb Mt Blanc (4,810 m) in Sept with a view to developing enough skills to try Elbrus the following year.

:D

....that's on my list too.

Regarding Mount Blanc in September you could find late season conditions (i.e. bad ice and risk of avalanches) or even early winter conditions (i.e. fresh snow).....usually end of June is the best time but as this winter was quite snowy and cold, July should be the best month for this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

but the 3mont blanc route is in France, the name is a clue.

......you are right!.....I am not an expert but I think the ITALIAN routes are all quite technical.....anyway we will be coming up from Courmayeur on the Italian side (our base for the week), with Italian guides (very likey Italo-French ones) and the first two acclimatization peaks that we'll be doing earlier in the week are on the Italian Alps.....one is the Gran Paradiso, it's a glacier west of the Mont Blanc massif and it gives its name to the amazing National Park of the Gran Paradiso.......I think chamonix is more geared towards international tourism....hence why it's more expensive....but it's only an opinion as I have been there only once in winter years ago....I know much better the Italian Alps......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I was serously considering attemping Mount Blanc this July before I saw this thread but decided to go for the MCI mountaineering course In Switzerland instead, Since I'm a complete beginner at Alpine mountaineeering and all.

The team is now comprised of 2 people....we still want you!......Mont Blanc 2-7 July 09!!!!

uncle_4msam_hat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I would love to do this.
    I enjoy hiking but have no experience with mountaineeering, crampons etc.
    What course re you doing robp?

The group is complete! We received confirmation from the Guides' Association.....gear is ready.....we are going to Mount Blanc! :D

Cross your fingers for us for a week of good weather!

I thought it would be fair to complete this thread by posting an update on the expedition: due to bad weather we had to delay the summit attempt by a couple of days, once we later went up we had to cancel because of avalanche risk…..we did some very nice rock climbing instead……

….I am going back on the 4th of September hoping for better luck!

IMGP1011.jpg

Advertisement