Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howling Ridge

Options
  • 29-03-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on climbing the Howling Ridge route on Carrauntoohil this April with the aid of a local guide.
    I am looking for one person to share the costs of the guide (Nathan from Outdoors Ireland), the price is 100euro per person per day; the plan is to go out 2 days, warm up climb on first day and Howling Ridge on second day.
    If interested please contact me.

Andy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

....just back from two days in Kerry.....and we successfully climbed the famous Howling Ridge in dreadful weather conditions; the rain didn't leave us until we reached the Heavenly Gates and from there on we were climbing in foggy conditions with the usual drizzle of Irish rain......but we did it in 4-1/2 hours and it was amazing....:) .....I would do it again tomorrow!......I'll definitely go back and do again this spectacular route of classic mountaineering....hopefully in sunny conditions .....many thanks to our guide, Nathan Kingerlee!

Looks pretty daunting, think I read somewhere that it was never done at all until Con Moriarty and John Cronin, both of whom would be well known in this part of the world, did it in the late 80s. That's 40 years after Everest...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Looks pretty daunting, think I read somewhere that it was never done at all until Con Moriarty and John Cronin, both of whom would be well known in this part of the world, did it in the late 80s. That's 40 years after Everest...

I might be wrong but I think that was the first winter attempt......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

From what I understand the first attempt was during winter condition.
    http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1141955

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

.....we pretty much approached all obstacles heads-on...and I agree that the climbing sections are not particularly technical if you have some experience in rock climbing....but the consequence of falling would be certain death....and that's what makes this climb fairly challenging.......I do not see how somebody could complete this in 20mins unless you free climb all the way up.......my respect to those who would attempt a free climb of this route....I am personally not that experienced and I must say very proud of having completed it in rain in 4-1/2 hrs and with ropes!!!!

....I found this on u-tube....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnmZPvenY04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Noangel72 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning on climbing the Howling Ridge route on Carrauntoohil this April with the aid of a local guide.
    I am looking for one person to share the costs of the guide (Nathan from Outdoors Ireland), the price is 100euro per person per day; the plan is to go out 2 days, warm up climb on first day and Howling Ridge on second day.
    If interested please contact me.

Andy

Shiiit, that route is deadly. A mate of mine went up there a couple of years ago with an experienced group and he was on a high for days afterwards.

Good luck with finding somebody to tag along with ya. Great area.

Advertisement