Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not on my watch, pimple face!!!

Options
  • 29-03-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭

hi,

my daughter asked myself and my girlfriend the during about our first kiss [not with each other because she saw that - orchestrated the whole thing to be precise], but about other relationships from when we were younger.
    I was instantly suspicious, then paranoid. she is 15 now and I since then I seeing pimply faced teens everywhere.
    thanks my Mother, the child no longer believes if a girl kisses a guy before she is 30, she'll turn him into a zombie and get eaten.
    to other fathers reading, who have been threw this - can I borrow a gun?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If she is 15 time to talk to her about herpes simplex and how she can get it from kissing someone who has an out break :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

oh fun:D. My son is 4 and has already declared his love for one of my friends daughters, exclaming he is going to marry her and has been kissing her in the back of a church:eek: lol. He better learn to dodge shot gun pellets at a young age lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

when my daughter was in third class, one of the boys tried kissing one of the girls. after the there was mini riot after my girl told the zombie story and he tried it another few times:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If she is 15 time to talk to her about herpes simplex and how she can get it from kissing someone who has an out break :D

Dont forget Gandular Fever as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

She's 15 - she's probably been kissing boys for years. It's more than kissing that you should be worried about at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Blush_01 wrote: »
    She's 15 - she's probably been kissing boys for years. It's more than kissing that you should be worried about at this stage.

As painful as it may sound, this is the truth. This is 2009.

Secondly, although it may make you squirm, your child asking, its best to be open and talk openly about these issues. Thank christ your child feels she can ask questions on the topic of boys and girls and intimacy.
    Maybe bring up a topic of your own, and then turn the tables. try to be relaxed and seem genuinley interested in the topic and not look as if your about to fly off the handle if she answers something which naturally as a father enrages you inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

*puts hands over ears* Lalalalalalalala

I don't want to hear about what happens girls when they get older... no-one's getting their greasy hands on my girls!!!!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Blush_01 and Keith in cork.

do not judge everyone by your standards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The 'gun' is education, education, education.

When my daughter was 13/14 she got a print out of every STD you can catch and given a week to learn it off before she got tested on her knowledge.
    I told her that as soon as she wished to go on the pill she was to let me know.
    My view is there is no point whatsoever in a parent acting like an ostridge.
    Teenagers will do what they want no matter what a parent expects.
    Therefore if they are armed with an education on the subject, you have half a chance that they might at least be responsible in their actions.

I presume at this stage you have explained everything there is to know about pregnancy?

Beruthiel,

You are not the first in this thread to bring up sex, but you are the first to be civil and courteous about it, so I'll ask you this question:-

Why do you think it's about sex?

• Advertisement

Why do you think it's about sex?

Well, your OP wasn't exactly clear, so I'm guessing from this comment:
    I was instantly suspicious, then paranoid. she is 15 now and I since then I seeing pimply faced teens everywhere.

If we are off the mark, maybe you could clarify what it is we are discussing?

hi,

my daughter asked myself and my girlfriend the during about our first kiss [not with each other because she saw that - orchestrated the whole thing to be precise], but about other relationships from when we were younger.
    thanks my Mother, the child no longer believes if a girl kisses a guy before she is 30, she'll turn him into a zombie and get eaten.

where did I mention sex??

plus I just realized I misspelled 'through' as 'threw':p

very glad I didn't criticise your 'ostridge':o

plus I just realized I misspelled 'through' as 'threw':p

very glad I didn't criticise your 'ostridge':o

I've done it again:o

anyway, what we are discussing is how I started to notice increased numbers of young pups in the general vicinity of my daughter.

and why would you assume one 15 year old girl is going to have sex just because others

anyway, what we are discussing is how I started to notice increased numbers of young pups in the general vicinity of my daughter.

Ok. Can you explain what exactly you mean then.
    Because most of us are reading 'young pups round my daughter' as having a sexual interest in her.
    and why would you assume one 15 year old girl is going to have sex just because others

Because I was 15 once, as were my 3 sisters, as was my daughter, as were all the girls I used to hang out with at that age, and let me tell you, from my experience, a young, healthy 15 year old girl has nothing else but 'boys' on their minds. Couple that with hormones all over the camp and you have a heady mix.
    Also, I did not 'assume' she is having sex, I'm 'assuming' that the possibility is there at some point.

When I was 15 I was sexually active, yes I know I am not your daughters
    but the best thing you can do is have open discussions with them about respect and thier boidies and give them as much informations as possible.

The crises pregnancy agency has a pdf. book and dvd which are free to parents to
    help in having those types of talks.

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/parentresource.html#n2

parenting resources

Parents play an important role in educating their children about relationships and sexual health. Irish and international research had found that when there is open communication between parents and teenagers about relationships and sex, it can increase the likelihood that the teenager will wait until they are 17 or older to have sex for the first time.

The Crisis Pregnancy Agency has produced a number of resources to assist parents in providing relationships and sex education to their children. These resources have been designed to provide age appropriate information to children aged 10-17 years old.

These resources are available free of charge to parents.

Resource for parents of 10-14 year olds - 'Busy Bodies'

Resource for parents of 11-15 year olds - ‘You can talk to me’

Resource for parents of 15-17 year olds - 'Parents, make the time to talk'

Free Booklet for parents of 10-14 year olds- 'Busy Bodies'

'Busy Bodies- A book about puberty for you and your parents' was developed to provide appropriate information to 5th & 6th class students on the physical and emotional changes that they may experience during puberty. The booklet was developed to help both parents and teachers in the delivery of Relationship & Sexuality Education (RSE) in the home and in school.

The booklet was produced by the Health Service Executive South working in partnership with the RSE Support Service, the National Parents Council (Primary) and the Crisis Pregnancy Agency.

The 'Busy Bodies' booklet, based on the 'Busy Bodies' DVD that is used in primary schools, provides appropriate information to 5th & 6th class students on the physical and emotional changes that they may experience during puberty including:

. How boys' bodies grow and develop during puberty
    . How girls' bodies grow and develop, including menstruation
    . How babies are made
    . Enjoying growing up

Click here to download a copy of the booklet.

To order a copy of the Booklet, FreeText BUSY plus your name and address to 50444. Schools can order bulk copies of the booklet free of charge, through their local health promotion department.

Free DVD and Booklet for Parents of 11-15 year olds- 'You can talk to me'

A free DVD “You can talk to me” and booklet was developed to help parents talk to their 11 to 15 years olds about sexual health and relationships.

dvd box

Research findings from the Irish Study of Sexual Health and Relationships (ISSHR) show that 92% of people think that young people should get sex education on sexual intercourse, sexual feelings, contraception, safer sex/STIs and homosexuality. However, only 21% of men and 38% of women under 25 have received sex education in the home. Among under-25s, nearly two-thirds of men and almost half of women did not find it easy to talk to their parents about sex.

In the DVD, parents and teenagers are interviewed about talking to each other about sex and relationships. Dr Marie Murray and Dr Tony Bates give their tips to parents on starting a conversation about sex and relationships with their child.

To order a DVD and booklet, FreeText PARENT plus your name and address to 50444.

1 Introduction 168kb
    Section 2 Teenagers and Parents 92kb
    Section 3 Communication 116kb
    Section 4 General Information 132kb
    Section 5 Trainer Notes 76kb
    All Sections You can talk to me Booklet 752kb
    (Broadband Users)

Download Excerpts from the DVD:You can talk to me (5.44mb)
    Windows: Right Click on the link and choose Save As...
    Mac: Ctrl-Click on the link and choose Save Link As

Free Supplement for Parents of 15-17 year olds- 'Parents, make the time to talk'

teenaged girl with parents

The Agency has produced a new supplement –“Parents, make the time to talk” to assist parents of older adolescents in talking to their teenagers about relationships and sexuality.

Click here to download a copy of the supplement.

To order a copy of the supplement, FreeText TALK plus your name and address to 50444.

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/pub/realparents.pdf
    Research Summary for Parents on Teenage Sexuality

The Crisis Pregnancy Agency has developed a range of leaflets designed to bring its latest research findings to key audiences in a concise, easy-to-read format.

The first research summary is on teenage sexuality, and is developed for parents and people working with young people. Listening to the views and the experiences of teenagers is essential to the work of the Crisis Pregnancy Agency. The Agency's research reports on teenagers and sexuality in Ireland describe what teenagers in Ireland are saying about relationships, learning about sex, and the influence of television.

We hope this summary of research findings will provoke thought, discussion and interest among parents and those who work with young people. Printed copies are available from the Crisis Pregnancy Agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sponfarmer I was a fairly innocent teenager. I had my first kiss at 15 and a steady stream of boyfriends from there on in but I didn't have sex until I was 20. Why not? Because I educated myself about what was going on and made informed decisions about what I wanted to do and didn't want to do, and when. I think that teenagers now are under an awful lot more pressure (peer/ media etc) than we were and as the others have said the best thing parents can do is give them the information to help them understand their bodies and their feelings.

Funny enough I'm still waiting for my parents to tell me the facts of life:rolleyes: . I'm nearly 40. I embarrass them by asking are they ready for "the talk" yet :p

Beruthiel,

let me apologize for leaving mid-post. it was an emergency but all is well now.

as littlebug [thank you] points out kissing and holding hands does not lead to sex or teen mums.

you said " a young, healthy 15 year old girl has nothing else but 'boys' on their minds. ". apart from the fact that a mind with only one thought is far from healthy, please give kids some credit.
    there is a lot on girls' minds beside sex and boys. even "the young pups", dimwits that they are [and believe me, I know, I was one] are thinking about a lot more.
    based on the tripe that thrown at them these days, I know that's hard to believe they can think straight, but they can.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ok. Can you explain what exactly you mean then.
    Because most of us are reading 'young pups round my daughter' as having a sexual interest in her.

again, I never mentioned sex, so why would you read it that.

also, are you moderator, Beruthiel? if so, may I PM you to ask a question.
    thanks.

also, are you moderator, Beruthiel? if so, may I PM you to ask a question.
    thanks.

The forums that Beruthiel mods are listed under her avatar, she is not one of the parenting forum mods, those are Thaedydal, foxinsocks, embee, nesf, and oscarBravo is the category moderator for Soc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement