Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cistern taking ages to Refill

Options
  • 29-03-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey all, in the last couple of days I've noticed that my toilet is taking ages to refill. It literally a drip, I've tried adjusting the nut to see if the flow changed and nothing. Anyone have any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There have been a number of posts about this lately.

It depends what sort of ballcock valve you have. If it's a brass one it's possible that the shuttle is stuck and wagging the ball arm up and down should free it. If its a plastic one then probably either the diaphragm is hardened and not moving off the water nozzle, or the nozzle itself is partly blocked. In either case the real solution is to dismantle the valve or simply take the easy route and buy a new one. Either way you will need to turn off the water of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

These plastic cistern fittings come with a built in pressure reducer. It looks like a traffic-cone, about 1 inch in size. So if you have low pressure as in bungalow, then you need to remove this. I had to do this. Turn of water supply to cistern, open cistern/ballcock valve, possible without tools if you have strongish hands.

reducerfitting.th.jpg

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you live in a hard water area and have an un-softened supply to your attic cistern you may find that the ball valve (including the pressure reducer) is caked with limescale, resulting in poor water flow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm lving in a new build and found this happened to me, turned out to be small stones lodged in the ballcock valve, took it off cleaned it and all sorted, took 5min :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm lving in a new build and found this happened to me, turned out to be small stones lodged in the ballcock valve, took it off cleaned it and all sorted, took 5min :)

+1
    In a new build situation you can find valves, taps etc. blocked with plastic and metal swarf, so it pays to investigate these simple things first off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Cheers for all your advice. I checked it out and a dead bee was in the valve, partly blocking it. Weird

Advertisement