Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI General INFO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ok folks enough talk about security issues. If you feel something may compromise the security of a person or persons please notify a Mod for review and it will be seriously considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DAX1

Hi, I am from the republic and applied last week for the PSNI. My query is what was the reaction of family and friends to anyone else from the republic who has joined or is applying to join.
    Also, I am just gone 27, what is the average age of a recruit?
    I am finding it difficult to find a timeline of what the training involves, from when you 1st enter Garnerville until you passout. Any info would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

just thought i should use this thread for this question

is it illegal to drive with your front fog lights on when it is not foggy. i know it is for your back as it is hidiously bright. some drivers blind everyone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

smyff wrote: »
    just thought i should use this thread for this question

is it illegal to drive with your front fog lights on when it is not foggy. i know it is for your back as it is hidiously bright. some drivers blind everyone with them.

I have seen people being pulled in for it.

You should only drive with them on if you visability is reduced to less that 100m!!

People who drive with them on when its not foggy really annoy me. I told my boss he had better watch out. It doesnt look cool!LOL

Smyff- turn your lights off mate!!

I have seen people being pulled in for it.

You should only drive with them on if you visability is reduced to less that 100m!!

People who drive with them on when its not foggy really annoy me. I told my boss he had better watch out. It doesnt look cool!LOL

Smyff- turn your lights off mate!!
    lol dont worry. i dont drive with them on lol. another thing which is a killer is bmw and merc lights which are blue. they look like full beams and they wreck your eyes lol

if i ever do meet you in or out of psni world, ill be sure to have them on :P

smyff wrote: »
    lol dont worry. i dont drive with them on lol. another thing which is a killer is bmw and merc lights which are blue. they look like full beams and they wreck your eyes lol

if i ever do meet you in or out of psni world, ill be sure to have them on :P

Yeah I hate snobby cars like that. My boss upgraded the lights on his car to ones like those because he was fed up getting blinded and thought he would go round blinding everyone else. LOL crazy fool

Yeah I hate snobby cars like that. My boss upgraded the lights on his car to ones like those because he was fed up getting blinded and thought he would go round blinding everyone else. LOL crazy fool
    aahahahhaha. sounds me and your boss would get on great hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

I'm just wandering about the HEP B injections we get in the 11 weeks after garnerville, are they sore? I have a SEVERE phobia of needles :( and i think that is what is worrying me the most!

nickni wrote: »
    I'm just wandering about the HEP B injections we get in the 11 weeks after garnerville, are they sore? I have a SEVERE phobia of needles :( and i think that is what is worrying me the most!

The injection is not sore at all. You might get a little redness and small bump afterwards but it should be gone by the next day.

When getting the injection just look away and think happy thoughts. Also try not look at other people getting their injections

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

I have just fainted at the very thought. I too have a phobia of needles. I know. What a wuss... :(

Dont worry, they will just handcuff you to the seat.

Sorry that really didnt help did it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

on scale of 1-10 soreness what are we talking?
    i didnt get my bcg so dont compare it to that lol from what everyone said it was really bad, did have an mmr booster and it was grand the nurse said if you relax your arm they dont hurt :D do we get lolly pops and stickers after? :) :P

Dont worry, they will just handcuff you to the seat.

Sorry that really didnt help did it;)

Oh. Indeed it did. Actually looking forward to it now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Hi I was just wondering what sort of things can you get rejected for at the vetting stage. Obviously there are the serious things like criminal charges, but what else are they looking for apart from that?

Hi, dont mean to be scaring anyone hear, but just wondering if anyone read the article in today's sunday tribune, in which the IRA say that they will be targeting new recruits in the PSNI? Any opinions on this?
    To be honest, the article has made me think twice about joining up.

• Advertisement

DAX1 wrote: »
    Hi, dont mean to be scaring anyone hear, but just wondering if anyone read the article in today's sunday tribune, in which the IRA say that they will be targeting new recruits in the PSNI? Any opinions on this?

The article is here for anyone who wishes to read it. Be careful out there and even more careful what ye say on this forum

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/apr/12/exclusive-real-ira-we-will-take-campaign-to-britai/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Then the scum wins.

Then the scum wins.

I can understand how you feel MGH but it takes a personal decision to apply as well as a personal decision to withdraw an application.

Lets not be too harsh on people who feel they can no longer go forward with there applications.

Again not having a go at you but thats the way it is

Nog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

Im sure we've all thought about it before deciding to go through with the recruitment process, and its for each and every individual to follow their on hearts, personally i'm not going to let it put me off applying for the job. It is, I imagine full of plenty of inherent dangers not just terrorism. As the old saying goes 'you could get hit with a bus tomorrow'. I don't mean to come acrosss as flippant, because I have spent serious time considering the impact to my family and myself if something tragic were to happen to me. But I always come to the same conclusion whatever will be will be. Im sure we'll be given some of the best guidence available in the world on personal security, if those of us that apply are lucky enough to make it through the process. Its for you to decide DAX1, I wish you well in whatever path you choose to take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

TheNog wrote: »
    I can understand how you feel MGH but it takes a personal decision to apply as well as a personal decision to withdraw an application.

Lets not be too harsh on people who feel they can no longer go forward with there applications.

Again not having a go at you but thats the way it is

Nog

In no way took this as "a go at me" :)

Just my humble opinion.

• Advertisement

The way I see it, at the end of the day there's always going to be potentially life threatening aspects of being in the PSNI wether it be the IRA making threats or not, there's always going to be people out there who don't like the PSNI and quite frankly want officers dead. It's a part of the job, and you have to be prepared for it. If you have really do have doubts and fears about it, I would pull out now. There's no point in going through everything, getting the offer and getting out into the thick of it only to then realise "s**t this could be quite dangerous" and throwing in the towel, because the damage will already have been done, so to speak, and people who don't like it will quite possibly know you've been an officer, regardless of how long for, and we are all to aware now of what can happen.

I don't mean to sound to grim or off putting or anything, but I think sometimes people don't realise what the implications can be from joining. Iv'e always wanted to be in the PSNI and have decided now is the time for going for it, bring it on!

rant over...:D

Just to clarify, in the print article (not the shortened version on the website), they clearly state that they will be targeting new recruits to the PSNI, specifically those from a nationalist/rc background. Being a RC from Dublin (my accent is bound to get noticed), in my opinion, I could be more of a target than others. Also, taking the risk/reward ration into consideration, I just think it would be too much of a risk for me.
    The print article has a full 2 page detailed spread on an interview with a spokesperson for the IRA army council. If you read the full article I am sure you will feel a similar apprehension....
    Scumbags or not, I'm not gonna put my personal safety (and that of my family) at risk.....
    They also say that lesser important targets will include workers in the service industries who serve army personnel etc... they say that anyone who supplies any sort of service will be considered viable targets....
    Again, dont want to worry people here, but it could be an indication of where things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

I think that people should generally just be a little safer.

Not dragging back 'old ways' but maybe some of you who are going to and from Garnerville or certain places in-which you visit more than once should maybe consider taking a different route to Garnerville? Obviously not all the time a new route, but not the same route twice and in no order, like one day this way and one day the next and then repeat for it to be the same, totally random?

Sorry if that sounded stupid, just a thought.

Be careful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Just to clarify, in the print article (not the shortened version on the website), they clearly state that they will be targeting new recruits to the PSNI, specifically those from a nationalist/rc background. Being a RC from Dublin (my accent is bound to get noticed), in my opinion, I could be more of a target than others. Also, taking the risk/reward ration into consideration, I just think it would be too much of a risk for me.
    The print article has a full 2 page detailed spread on an interview with a spokesperson for the IRA army council. If you read the full article I am sure you will feel a similar apprehension....
    Scumbags or not, I'm not gonna put my personal safety (and that of my family) at risk.....
    They also say that lesser important targets will include workers in the service industries who serve army personnel etc... they say that anyone who supplies any sort of service will be considered viable targets....
    Again, dont want to worry people here, but it could be an indication of where things are going.

i completlely understand were you come from... being a r/c to ill be lieing if i said i havent thought about the risks on numerous occasions... im due to start in july and its something im seriously going to consider up until my SID.. my m8t who was was to start yesterday (R/C background) backed out in the very last minute! when i spoke to him, his main concern was his personal safety and the threat from the 'dissidents' in particular.
    these people have no morals and the shootings at the army barracks puts it in to perspective... they had no remorse for shooting the delivery men because they were 'servicing' british forces exactly what your saying! they're scum but is your life worth it!!!

James_UK wrote: »
    I think that people should generally just be a little safer.

Not dragging back 'old ways' but maybe some of you who are going to and from Garnerville or certain places in-which you visit more than once should maybe consider taking a different route to Garnerville? Obviously not all the time a new route, but not the same route twice and in no order, like one day this way and one day the next and then repeat for it to be the same, totally random?

Sorry if that sounded stupid, just a thought.

Be careful :)

your right James thats very important to that you dont slip into a routine so that your leaving yourself exposed... but there is a lot more to it m8t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

given1 wrote: »
    your right James thats very important to that you dont slip into a routine so that your leaving yourself exposed... but there is a lot more to it m8t...

Care to explain? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

...and this is exactly the type of response they are hoping for. What we need now more than ever is MORE people from Dublin signing up, not less. It all depends on how strong your resolve is. Are you going to let a very small amount of scumbags prevent you from going ahead with what could be the best career move you ever make?

James_UK wrote: »

Care to explain? :)

it changes your whole personal life. if they know whwere you live thats a problem in its own, certain pubs/places you will no longer be able to go to and drink there anymore, it changes your whole perosnal life and how you go aboput it

Daxi,

TBH the same can be said for any police service. The dangers from every angle are always there and no matter what you do sometimes officers get injured.

As has been said already with the implementation of a few security measures can greatly increase your and your families safety.

Well, I had a good think about wether I would like to have to watch over my shoulder, and constantly be on alert for the remainder of my career. I know the PSNI get an extra allowance because of the security threat they face, and in my opinion, that and the other rewards from the job do not cover the threat I would be exposed to.
    Also, I know it is true that every police force in the world faces significant threats, however a threat directed at rc trainee psni officers, from what were once regarded as the most sophisticated terrorist outfit in the world, makes the personal safety issues a bit more extreme than if I were joining the guards....
    There is an article in today's Irish Times on yesterdays interview in the Tribune, again they point out that anyone considering joining the psni should seriously reconsider....

• Advertisement

Well, I had a good think about wether I would like to have to watch over my shoulder, and constantly be on alert for the remainder of my career. I know the PSNI get an extra allowance because of the security threat they face, and in my opinion, that and the other rewards from the job do not cover the threat I would be exposed to.
    Also, I know it is true that every police force in the world faces significant threats, however a threat directed at rc trainee psni officers, from what were once regarded as the most sophisticated terrorist outfit in the world, makes the personal safety issues a bit more extreme than if I were joining the guards....
    There is an article in today's Irish Times on yesterdays interview in the Tribune, again they point out that anyone considering joining the psni should seriously reconsider....

hope all goes well for you :) its a brave decision to make what ever you choose.
    but i wouldnt give those people the glory of being called sophiscated there not, theve enlisted young people who dont know what or why there fighting and as a group they certainly do not have any skill their opportunists, dangerous but definitly not co-ordinated or sophiscated their just the lowest of low who get itchy feet at easter.
    i might be being young and niave but im not being put off, i want them to rot in prison cells most likely crying for their mummy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yeah, what TM said. The people you think are the threat are not the threat. They are a small group of people, nowhere near even a fraction of the number the group you refer to had.

They are not sophisticated. I'll guarantee you that.

If you feel the way you feel, then in all honesty, it's probably better that you didn't join. You are always thinking about your personal security no matter where you go, even before this bunch of idiots were given media print inches. There's no end to the amount of dramatic sentences you can write because of this new threat, but the fact remains - you get a gun... and training!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. It's best to back out now and give the place to someone who is 100% committed, rather than go all the way (like some do) and then waste a spot by dropping out a day after you join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

Also, I know it is true that every police force in the world faces significant threats, however a threat directed at rc trainee psni officers, from what were once regarded as the most sophisticated terrorist outfit in the world,....

I don't think that the RIRA/CIRA have anything in terms of the predecessors the PIRA (God, im starting to sound like Monty Pythons Life of Brian with the Judean Peoples Front, The Peoples Front of Judea). in terms of sophistication, then again you don't have to be too sophisticated to open up on someone with a magazine from an AK47. A terror group needs a base of support in the areas they operate, and again I don't think the RIRA/CIRA have the levels of support in their communities the Provisionals had. Hopefully over time these people will be ostracized by the communities they operate from and be shown to be the scumbags they are. With good policing and intelligence these micro-organisations will be all but eradicated. Im not foolish enough to think that they'll totally go away, as im sure there will always be a hardcore of support who beleive in the mantra 'Ireland unfree shall never be at peace' What we as potential police officers have to do, well those that make it through the process, is ensure that the force is respected by all right thinking minded people and seen to be fair to all section of the community no matter their political beleifs, religion, skin colour or nationality of origin. Thats my humble opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GazeeboBrown

I'm from Dublin, and I'll be turning up to my IST regardless. Can't let them win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

On the press article, I dont think the scum should get any coverage and there should be a damn law to stop it, and any reporter doing this should be covertly tailed and the other scum tailed and find out who his little associate scum are they should be silently disposed of.

I understand dax's position a little also. I too am from the republic, and have a family also, I would not like my family to be put a risk, no matter how small. So...I have an ultimatum, if accepted, join the police and move out of the house, (this is the mrs ultimatum by the way!) or dont join and stay! I understand her decision. Perhaps it would be uncaring of me to join the police and have to move out. Of course as psni said, you get a gun and training. But in the republic you cant keep you ppw in your home or on yourself...and it doesnt help if cowards shoot you in the back. I would love to be in the psni but its the family I am thinking about. If I accept I guess I am not thinking about them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GazeeboBrown

That's tough manaka. But you have to think of it from your wifes point - she might feel that she's in the care of the best pair of hands when you're around. But she has to go shopping, to work, out with the girls - and you can't be around 24/7.

If I didnt have the full support of my family it would certainly be tough(er).

Yeah I know what you mean G Brown. I dont think they would target immedite family but who knows. Wouldnt want them to get in the crossfire if I was on a day off. Remember the officer dropping his kids off at school in derry and they opened fire. Not sure if he was still at the school or if it was after, but they must have been following or waiting for him. Id still be part of their lives if I did accept the place at GV. Thanks for your thoughts mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Friends,

I read with interest the concerns of a few regarding the recent security threats, but all has not been 'rosey in the garden' for quite some time, to quote an esteemed colleague recently. As psni said 'There's no end to the amount of dramatic sentences you can write because of this new threat' and I agree. But the events of late and the propaganda that followed is certainly worthy of concern and I wouldn't hold it against any person who has doubts as to whether this is their chosen career. But believe me, those who decide to commit to the service will be amongst the most professional, resolute officers in the world. With around 7500 colleagues by your side, you'll be in the biggest gang around; and we will always win!

Good luck to all.

Signed W.Churchill jnr ;)

• Advertisement

Fair play JVB. Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope all is well mate.
    JVB wrote: »
    Friends,

I read with interest the concerns of a few regarding the recent security threats, but all has not been 'rosey in the garden' for quite some time, to quote an esteemed colleague recently. As psni said 'There's no end to the amount of dramatic sentences you can write because of this new threat' and I agree. But the events of late and the propaganda that followed is certainly worthy of concern and I wouldn't hold it against any person who has doubts as to whether this is their chosen career. But believe me, those who decide to commit to the service will be amongst the most professional, resolute officers in the world. With around 7500 colleagues by your side, you'll be in the biggest gang around; and we will always win!

Good luck to all.

Cheers JVB, you are a man of many wise words. Hope you are getting on good. Are they really highy regarded in the world? They are probably one of the most scrutinised in the world also. Hpe the trainings going good for you and you're loving it and proud of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

I'm from Dublin, and I'll be turning up to my IST regardless. Can't let them win.

I think you have the right attitude mate, but i can understand the concerns of people with familys, children, etc.
    If I didnt have the full support of my family it would certainly be tough(er).

This is where i am very lucky, my family, partner and friends all support me 100% because this is something i have always wanted to do. I feel for people who don't have that support because the job can be very stressful and tough.
    JVB wrote: »
    Friends,

Good luck to all.

What a post! I agree 100% mate. :)

Well said...JVB for President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

Jeez have just been reading all the posts in the last few pages there.
    I feel really sad for all the people who have to give up their dream because of a dumb, uneducated, closeminded teeney weeney group of people who dont even have the support of those they consider to be their "own people".

I sometimes liken these people to brain dead teenagers playing relentlessly on their stupid playstations...shooting each other and gettin all excited when they kill and get points...only this is not a game!!

My heart goes out to those who feel they have to give up their dreams but i totally understand why theyre doing it. Although these terrorists are childish, immature (and most of them probably just out of nappies) their threat is very real.

I will continue on my quest to join the psni regardless. They will not win!!

Deep very deep :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

Great words from JVB. Makes me even more resolute to begin my training in July. Recent events are very worrying and we can never underestimate how dangerous these people are. Family support is crucial if we are to succeed and thankfully my family and friends are 100% behind me in my new career. It has been one of the most important decisions of my life and without doubt the best!!!!

• Advertisement

so how do we, as a society change the perception of the these young disillusioned young men who probably come from large republic areas and are sucked in to the beliefs. I believe they are influenced by older peers ideologies and they are used probably to prove their alliance and thus take the fall for the crimes they do. Do the psni officers visit primary/secondary/high schools in republican areas?

manaka wrote: »
    so how do we, as a society change the perception of the these young disillusioned young men who probably come from large republic areas and are sucked in to the beliefs. I believe they are influenced by older peers ideologies and they are used probably to prove their alliance and thus take the fall for the crimes they do. Do the psni officers visit primary/secondary/high schools in republican areas?

i suppose where i live is considered a republican area but we have very good relations with the police and they have done alot of community work to build up these relations.
    when we were in primary the RUC came in and did a cross community school exercise unfortunatly i dont remember much about it, but i did get a certificate :D the psni have been in the secondary schools a fair bit with drug talks motoring safety and things like that.

perhaps that is the right approach to an extent, but generally the attitude of the police here is perhaps the main reason they are accepted, there willing to engage with the public.

i think the main problem with areas your identifying are the parents living in the past and not allowing their children to move on either, people like that are the problem :)

i suppose where i live is considered a republican area but we have very good relations with the police and they have done alot of community work to build up these relations.
    when we were in primary the RUC came in and did a cross community school exercise unfortunatly i dont remember much about it, but i did get a certificate :D the psni have been in the secondary schools a fair bit with drug talks motoring safety and things like that.

perhaps that is the right approach to an extent, but generally the attitude of the police here is perhaps the main reason they are accepted, there willing to engage with the public.

i think the main problem with areas your identifying are the parents living in the past and not allowing their children to move on either, people like that are the problem :)

Exactly. Perhaps the parents would have burned the colonial paper certificates and gave them a clip on the ear for colluding with the enemy! I definitely blame the parents. I guess they have a lot of anger and rage at the ruc which they dont see any different, psni/ruc, all the same to them. You cant teach an old dog new tricks as they say, so what do you do with them? Maybe the kids would have more sense than some of the parents to see that the change is happening and will take time...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

hey Guys

Don't Know if this is the right section to ask but has anyone else came across this.. just wondering if this is going to replace gv for whoever gets through c15 etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4454884.stm

emz2009 wrote: »
    hey Guys

Don't Know if this is the right section to ask but has anyone else came across this.. just wondering if this is going to replace gv for whoever gets through c15 etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4454884.stm

dont be holding your breath. Supposed to be completed by 2012. Not Likely. Take it from She Who Knows. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement