Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog trying it on with bitch

Options
  • 29-03-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a new dog today, 5 year old border collie and he is beautiful, a real stunning dog and seems well behaved. His p[revious owner did not have time to give him attention so she was looking to rehome him. She said he was extremely nervous and scared of people and other dogs, he would not walk on the lead so had not been walked in a long time.

Anyway he seems to be at home already and enjoyed a lovely walk in the park without any trouble, apart from trying to get up on our recently neutered bitch a couple of times, a tiny yorkie. Again at home he tried to mount her a couple of times so he is now out the back. What should I do about this? Do I leave them together and just tell him no or do I seperate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neutering will help if he's not neutered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

If she's neutered, I say let them at it. Why spoil their fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

She's not enjoying it and he even tried jumping up on my 6 year old today, she has scratches all over her back.. He is booked in to be neutered next Monday, I'm surprised how many people dont neuter, it is a big issue with a dogs behaviour, he is lovely until he gets in the mood and then he is a completely different dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

Just picked up a new dog today, 5 year old border collie and he is beautiful, a real stunning dog and seems well behaved. His p[revious owner did not have time to give him attention so she was looking to rehome him. She said he was extremely nervous and scared of people and other dogs, he would not walk on the lead so had not been walked in a long time.

Anyway he seems to be at home already and enjoyed a lovely walk in the park without any trouble, apart from trying to get up on our recently neutered bitch a couple of times, a tiny yorkie. Again at home he tried to mount her a couple of times so he is now out the back. What should I do about this? Do I leave them together and just tell him no or do I seperate?
    could be a dominance issue... make sure he knows your the boss.

Advertisement