Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalid Whois information ACTION REQUIRED?? Help plz

Options
  • 29-03-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey guys and girls. I recived this email from my domain registrar ill post it below. It was for one of my domain/sites asking me to update my details or i could lose the domain basicially. I had a name, email and number on the contact info so whoever complained could of got intouch with me if they wished im just wondering why they would report it to make me change to my full name address etc

Do any of you have experience with this and what the likely cause is? It is an active domian/site (nothing to do with poker)

Many thanks,
    Will!
    Please consider this message as official notification that the contact information provided for the domain name registration for XXXXXX appears to be invalid, or incomplete. Please update the information within 5 business days as per Section 3 of the Registration Agreement, which you agreed to at the time you registered your domain name. For your convenience, we have attached a copy of the current contact information listed for your domain name. If the update has not been accomplished within 5 business days, this can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration as per Section 6 of the Registration Agreement. Please respond to this email to confirm the changes have been made. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's part of the ICANN policy

Basically you have to maintain correct contact details for your domains in whois. Failure to do so can result in you losing the domain.

Solution - update the details. Problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

Just a quick warning. I've had a few similar mails recently from spammers etc claiming that additional domain information, verification etc was required for my domains. They always redirect to some bogus site.

I would always double check the sender.

Rakeline wrote: »
    Hey guys and girls. I recived this email from my domain registrar ill post it below. It was for one of my domain/sites asking me to update my details or i could lose the domain basicially. I had a name, email and number on the contact info so whoever complained could of got intouch with me if they wished im just wondering why they would report it to make me change to my full name address etc

Do any of you have experience with this and what the likely cause is? It is an active domian/site (nothing to do with poker)

Many thanks,
    Will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

Thanks, I have it registered with go daddy and they ''we have charged your credit card in the amount of $9.95 for our processing of this inquiry.'' Is this normal? What in your opinion is the best domain provider/host?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Godaddy charged you $9.95 to update your address? A new domain costs that.

I've a list of domains and have never been requested to do this. Like gnxx I have however received fake mails asking me to do various things and click on various links.

Sounds distinctly dodgy to me. Look into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd recommend you contact GoDaddy to get clarification.

There wouldn't be a charge normally to update your contact details, however, if they had received a complaint from Internic / ICANN about invalid whois details they maybe levying an administrative charge - again you'd need to check that with them to get the exact details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

Today i found out why i was asked to change. They were pharmacy websites there are some good affiliate deals about for that sort of thing anyway turns out that in Ireland your not allowed to do that and i was made shut down the sites. So any of you at that its advisible to just close the sites or you could get a visit from the imb about it to.

Advertisement