Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond liner suggestions please

Options
  • 29-03-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Howdy!

I'm revamping my little garden pond shortly and am looking ideas for something I could use as a pond liner (apart from pond liner of course!)

The current incarnation of the pond is built using flexible pond liner and is in a raised bed not much bigger than the pond itself (which is about 2 m x 1 m, roughly kidney-shaped). I'm thinking I may need to reduce the surface area of the pond to facilitate planting around the edge (not marginals, just around the pond) and to address other design issues about the pond.

Anyhoo, I'm beginning to think that a simple cyclindrical pre-cast shape would be work well (with hollow block brinks sunk as sites for pots of marginal plants).

First, is there any reason that I haven't thought of that this wouldn't work?

Second, pond liners (of the pre-cast variety) are expensive things - and that's when you can find a form you like. So I was thinking that if I go for a simple cylindrical shape (think oversized bucket), well that description fits a lot of vessels which may be suitable for use as a pond liner. But where might I find such a vessel? I'll need something about 1.5 m diameter, min. 0.6 m deep, UV and frost resistant and that would not leach toxic chemicals into the water. Extra brownie points for something that's recycled.

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pond liner, unless you are using one of the pre-cast pond materials, is your best bet for lining a pond. Why are you looking for an alternative? If you've had problems before, you may just need to get a heavier liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've been through all the flexible liners over the years...

1000 gauge black polythene
    PVC
    Super high quality PVC
    Butyl.

The only one that is any good is the butyl. Even the good quality PVC punctures easily in winter as it gets very brittle (may be fine in a hot country).

Rigid liners are quite difficult to make into a good job, as the hole has to be an exact fit to prevent distortion under the weight of the water. if you are looking for a simple tub shape, you could try an agricultural suppliers - my local Glanbia has these in various sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

@starbelgrade: You're probably right. I currently have butyl liner and its perfectly functional but due to the finish of the pond (my fault) darn ugly. If I take it up I can re-lay it but am restricted by the shortest dimension of my current pond. And that's assuming I don't damage it in taking up the pond. If either of those factors prove a problem I'll have to fork out quite a lot for new butly liner, hence looking for alternative ideas.

@blackbox: I'll have a look into Glanbia. You're right about getting rigid liners right. The only way really is to dig out a hole considerably bigger than the liner, level it perfectly, finishing with a sand surface, and then backfill around the liner. Hard work!

Advertisement