Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Dublin

• 29-03-2009 7:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Was at the game in Parnell Park today with OnLooker.

I'd appreciate some comments from the sports lads here on these. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be and I only managed to get about 10 usable (or what I think are useable) images from the game. I also had the camera in Manual and forgot to change the shutter speed as the day brightened so have plenty of overexposed shots also :(

I was using a Sigma 70-200 with a 1.4x converter and most of them are fairly soft comparded to what the 70-200 can manage on its own.

What do ye think of these four?? I think I was messing with the Zoom on the lens a bit too much also when the play got close instead of leaving it at 200mm and trying to fill the frame so I have heads and arms etc. missing on loads of them. Any advice is appreciated.

0D9C1F8B8DE3415C9C9C416ADFD2337A.jpg

70D6707685A54252BE75DA728DBA563A.jpg

36A241FE229C4ADFB79B135551980AFF.jpg

B8187E7A67E643BEB2EA80794AC4B2E8.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Nice set of shots,I shot a kerry Game once and moving from local clubs to a county club is a scary difference,Skill and speed and just on a whole level!

Photos are nice and sharp and 4 would be my fave!

If you don't mind me being nosey,Did you have accredation or just go in as onlookers backup photographer or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Great selection of photos there. But, they seem to lack a bit of vibrance or saturation. Great capture of the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Good to meet you Ballyman. Nice shots

I will stick mine up later. I went on the beer after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Great shots, that lens with the 1.4 teleconverter done very well. How fast was the focus?

4 is the best but the others are all quite strong. Try cropping tighter, maybe even crop out the trailing leg of the Dublin play just to just closer to the action.

1st one looks like they're going for headers!
    No.2 like the way you caught both players turning at speed and all eyes on the ball.
    No3 - Good facial expressions, again I'd crop tighter to exclude the player out of focus and the guy on the sideline.

Good day out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As a totally non-sport person I would say that my favourite would be #2.

Really like the way that the left legs match have a repetition, but are also different & the attention directed at the ball. Just a pity about the boot coming out of the hip. That would be easily cloned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Not bad at all, considering the glass.
    I'd imagine that combination would have struggled under lower light.
    It certainly wasn't a wasted trip for you anyway.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Just a pity about the boot coming out of the hip. That would be easily cloned out.

You can't go cloning out parts of images. :eek:

Well, for publication, cloning of such would be a major no-no.

But, of course, if it's just for yourself, it's a matter of time and taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Paulw wrote: »
    You can't go cloning out parts of images. :eek:

Well, for publication, cloning of such would be a major no-no.

But, of course, if it's just for yourself, it's a matter of time and taste.

I was just commenting on the image itself & think that the extra limb is a bit distracting.

What editing is allowable for Sports images that are to be published?

CabanSail wrote: »
    What editing is allowable for Sports images that are to be published?

White balance adjustment, saturation, brightness, cropping. No editing of the image, such as cloning, is permitted.

Hence, you sometimes see limbs coming in/out of the frame.

These images are a visual record of a sporting fixture.
    They aren't photo shoot shots of a model in a studio.
    Next thing we know, there will be calls to clone pretty people into the crowd.

• Advertisement

City-Exile wrote: »
    These images are a visual record of a sporting fixture.
    Next thing we know, there will be calls to clone pretty people into the crowd.

Or calls to clone out the ends of a rugby ball to make it more round (like a football)?? :D

Paulw wrote: »
    Or calls to clone out the ends of a rugby ball to make it more round (like a football)?? :D

I said crop, not clone! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

OnLooker wrote: »

Good man. Beer is important too. Did you get the camera sorted out??

Another question, do ye mainly use centre point AF or the 9 (or more) point AF?

Reason I ask is because I found that a lot of the time when two players were together I often had the centre point inbetween the players and ended up woth the crowd in focus rather than the players.

Would it be better to have all the focus points on or is this just par for the course??

"countryjimbo" - The AF was fast enough for me anyway. The lens didn't hunt once although the lighting was very good.

I did notice it a little slower than normal though when it had to focus initially, as in if a subject was very badly OOF then it was a little slow to get to proper focus but once the AF locked onto the subject then it very very rarely lost it and was plenty fast.

Without the 1.4x though it's a totally different story. No probs whatsoever, bar reach :)

Ballyman wrote: »
    Another question, do ye mainly use centre point AF or the 9 (or more) point AF?

I'd only ever use the centre focus point. Having multiple points enabled will cause you more problems than worth your while, as you will have the issue you describe - focus point locks on something you don't want.

So, set it to the centre focus point, and shoot away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Great pics! They Are so sharp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

OnLooker wrote: »

Ah Onlooker we look to you for inspiration and off you go on the beer:)

Nice shots ballyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

A few from Sunday. Having problems with my 40D at the moment so had to switch to the 400d

3400580175_ef7716b924.jpg?v=0

3400577745_4931619ccd.jpg?v=0

3400579999_22114132fb.jpg?v=0

3401394004_3a88a7c6fd.jpg?v=0

3400586325_b502460d2c.jpg?v=0

3401394992_9a57db8c14.jpg?v=0

3400572675_0200224588.jpg?v=0

Nice ones. I like the 3rd Donaghy one best. There's a big diffeence between these and mine in sharpness terms.

How do I stop myself from buying a 300mm f2.8?? If herself sees it she'll go mental as she knows what it costs :)

Ballyman wrote: »
    How do I stop myself from buying a 300mm f2.8?? If herself sees it she'll go mental as she knows what it costs :)

You can't stop yourself. Once you start in to sport, you want bigger and bigger lenses. LOL. It never ends.

As for herself - hide the lens. Don't take it out when she's around. ;)

• Advertisement

DO NOT BUY A Canon 300mm f/2.8!!!!
    You will soon be looking for a 1D Mk III and then a Canon 400mm f/2.8
    It's a slippery slope and could cost you your marriage!
    If that happens, she's entitled to half of your gear. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Onlooker super shots! So sharp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Good meeting you tonight Ballyman. You're getting the bug now going to every match possible :D

Good to meet you too.

I'm going to have to get myself a 300mm. This 70-200 just doesn't cut the mustard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lol, just getting the photos ready to send off to the Turkish Football Federation. Can't believe they asked me to send them in but not complaining :D

Advertisement