Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "Gentleman's Club" on John's st.

• 29-03-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I was just walking through town and I noticed that we have a new "Gentleman's Club" on John's st., where the door for Electric Avenue used to be. I presume this is another lap-dancing club. If so, the Lonely Planet comment of "seedy port town" is being realised! 3 lap dancing clubs in a city of 50,000, or 60,000 if you include Tramore! The new door for Electric Avenue is to the right of it. Are they using the old Ten/Preachers space?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

[edit]EA is still using the same space, they've just lost their downstairs bar.[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

So its in where the door to 10/Preachers used to be is it ? I'm surprised the other two are still open, I thought when whispers opened first that it wouldn't get the clientele and close within a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

more importantly we need a review of what the talent is like, i for one would go but im currenty not in the city, so therefore ill to a local and give u an update on what they should/should'nt be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

AdMMM wrote: »
    As far as I know, Whispers is going to close shortly.

Excellent. I look forward to the closing-down sale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm still half asleep so I'm going to forego a smart ass comment on this one.

• Advertisement

Actually, it's a very strange set up. The Gentleman's club is only in the bottom bar of Electric Avenue with it being blocked off by the steps and soundproofed. Electric Avenue is still open above, but you now enter it through the exit that's beside the stage. If you want private dances, or even to use the jacks, you go up the side alley and up into a side room which has some private booths, a stage for dancing, and a bottle bar. Searching for the toilets took me in kinds of strange places, but for the record you go through the private room and there's a door which leads into Electric Avenue and you emerge just outside the toilets there.

As for the talent, they're currently flying in people from London and will continue to do so until they find people locally. I think he mentioned that he was getting the people from Whispers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Actually, it's a very strange set up. The Gentleman's club is only in the bottom bar of Electric Avenue with it being blocked off by the steps and soundproofed. Electric Avenue is still open above, but you now enter it through the exit that's beside the stage. If you want private dances, or even to use the jacks, you go up the side alley and up into a side room which has some private booths, a stage for dancing, and a bottle bar. Searching for the toilets took me in kinds of strange places, but for the record you go through the private room and there's a door which leads into Electric Avenue and you emerge just outside the toilets there.

As for the talent, they're currently flying in people from London and will continue to do so until they find people locally. I think he mentioned that he was getting the people from Whispers.

so theres a wall or something blocking off the end of the stairs in EA? is that not a really small space?

ec18 wrote: »
    so theres a wall or something blocking off the end of the stairs in EA? is that not a really small space?
    Yeah it's very small but to be honest, it's just a front to try get people up into the backrooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Yeah it's very small but to be honest, it's just a front to try get people up into the backrooms!
    which is the ten/preachers space?

I was a bit disorientated at the time, but I think the back room was an unused room that's part of EA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I was a bit disorientated at the time, but I think the back room was an unused room that's part of EA.

It's an old store room that wasn't needed. I think it's the old mineral store for any of ye ex-Preachers staff. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Any idea if they'll be having 'grand opening specials' or 'recession busters'?

I'm thinking 'All U Can Eat - €500' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

can see few bust ups with girlfriends after night out in town now
    "but u were seen coming out of electric avenue so u must of had a dance" :D

gscully wrote: »
    Any idea if they'll be having 'grand opening specials' or 'recession busters'?

I'm thinking 'All U Can Eat - €500' :D

Jesus for €500 I'd expect Full Buffet from all corners of the world. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 letmein69

ziedth wrote: »
    Jesus for €500 I'd expect Full Buffet from all corners of the world. :D

€500 i would in my arse lads the owners of this new club are the boys from whispers trying to make another go of it, i be honest i am prone to go for an ol'' lap dance ive been to Secrets and they know there stuff but went in to this new club oh man god you have to walk past people in electric ave christ very embarrsing and if anbody see me ill be the talk of mass :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

"Careful now - Down with this sort of thing"! :D

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I can't see meself wantin to go in there anymore.

Too many boners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Not exactly discreet so! But sure didn't everyone in the Ballybricken take away see all the dirty buggers skulking into whispers! :D

Asmodean wrote: »
    Not exactly discreet so! But sure didn't everyone in the Ballybricken take away see all the dirty buggers skulking into whispers! :D

I always thought that too,

Surely a secret tunnel from the church by extravision up too this new place is the way to go.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Very good! I could think of no better location for a secret tunnel:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

i would have thought the back entrance to electric avenue would have made more sense for this place.

I can see myself migrating from here if that's the case. Too seedy for my likin!

It's all about footfall. They simply wouldn't have anyone passing if their main entrance was at the back of EA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 letmein69

i dont know if i have a conflick of interest because i like going into these places but i never took to whispers because of the women but when i went to secrets there were some hot chicks in there i must say it is a place i would bring the wife if she would cum.... its very funky if you remember the old plan b bar it is pretty much the same just painted and spiced it up, and the tunes are cool now i am thinking i am a weirdo...............:rolleyes:

My Shilling senses are going off the scale here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Oh wow, let's all go to Secrets so.
    ziedth wrote: »
    My Shilling senses are going off the scale here :pac:

Wait a minute........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The one on ballybricken apparently give all taxi drivers a €5 if they recommended the place and bring peeps up there .. or they used to anyway to get it anyway.. remember someone telling me this..

Id say that place will get plenty of trade from passers by, stag nights etc.. as its right beside where all the main pubs in the town are..

Will be interesting to see if any locals get work there as *ahem* "dancers".. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smithy11121

I have it on good authority that one of the gentlemens clubs dancers brings home half the customers and performs extra "services" to supplement her income.

Another former employee was hired for a private dance. She went into the booth and realised it was her father sitting there. You can imagine the awkward silence at dinner that night.

pics? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Someone seems sore that she only brings home "half". :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement