Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun for rabbitses, hareses and targetses

Options
  • 29-03-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have been looking at what I want for my first gun and have come across the Savage 93R17BTVS

93r17BTVS.jpg

My intentions are to shoot rabbits and hares if some of the latter happen to stray across my sights with .17 HMR but also to spend quite a bit of time on the range to practice and maybe compete. I'd add a moderator and of course a scope. Since I am a lefty my only other real option is the CZ American which appears to cost a similar amount of money and this appears to be a far better rifle.

What do ye think? I am asking here, since this is also for punching paper, but if the mods feel that this ought to be in the hunting forum, feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I don't think you are allowed to shoot hares with a rifle????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

cant understand why someone would want to shoot hares :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I can perfectly understand why someone wants to bag the odd hare : they make a gorgeous meal. Shooting them with a rifle is a criminal offence though.

All the scary stories aside hares aren't that scarce and proper fox control seems to be making a serious difference to their numbers in my neck of the woods.

It's not exceptional to see 15 to 20 hares on a 10 mile drive around with the lamp in my area.

Before anyone starts crying wolf : I do this regularly to keep an eye on the place. If I happen to spot a fox I get out of the car, go into the field if I have permission to do so and pursue foxy on foot. No shooting from the car or poaching allowed in my presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

lordarpad wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have been looking at what I want for my first gun and have come across the Savage 93R17BTVS

93r17BTVS.jpg

A seriously nice looking rifle, there is something about thumb-hole stocks that make them very attractive.

Re Hares, there a game animal and can only be shot in season with a shotgun.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've used that rifle in .17HMR. Beautifully accurate and well made, great trigger, couldn't fault it. As said though, no hares.

• Advertisement

What price would one expect to pay for this rifle here.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »
    What price would one expect to pay for this rifle here.

Sikamick

As I recall, the example I tried was 625 or 650, but given the gun dealer that was bought from, you could probably do a good bit cheaper if you shop around.

It wasn't me, I was out with the lads in John Kavanagh's this evening, I was looking at some really nice Lee Enfield Rifles (Blondie's) one was from the Irish Consignment. Really clean, like brand new.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

OK, can somebody point me at a list of what I can and cannot shoot with a rifle/shotgun in this country? I am getting confused. So far I can't seem to be able to find a pattern :/

Edit: I have found this: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0038/sec0041.html#partiv-chapii-sec41 which states:

'(3) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure in the course of hunting with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare otherwise than under and in accordance with a licence granted in that behalf by the Minister.' Now this seems to say that it is legal to shoot hares with a shotgun, but not that it is illegal to shoot hares with rifles.

OK, can somebody point me at a list of what I can and cannot shoot with a rifle/shotgun in this country? I am getting confused. So far I can't seem to be able to find a pattern :/

Edit: I have found this: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0038/sec0041.html#partiv-chapii-sec41 which states:

'(3) It shall be an offence for a person to hunt or injure in the course of hunting with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare otherwise than under and in accordance with a licence granted in that behalf by the Minister.' Now this seems to say that it is legal to shoot hares with a shotgun, but not that it is illegal to shoot hares with rifles.

Contact Duchas or your local Wildlife Ranger.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

also a lot of ranges don't allow 17hmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Really? Which ones and why?

I've seen range authorisations which stipulated .22 subsonics only, and I've seen others with a velocity threshold of 2000fps, so it's out in both of those counts.

I'm spoiled at Midlands then :)

I'm spoiled at Midlands then :)

Don't I know it! :p

I've seen range authorisations which stipulated .22 subsonics only, and I've seen others with a velocity threshold of 2000fps, so it's out in both of those counts.

can you remember where?

Yeah, but I don't really like to say. I was more making the point that authorisations are diverse in their specifications. Get a gun to do what you're looking for, then find a range to use it at if that's your bag. Don't get a range and then think about the gun; have an idea first. If you want a .17HMR, get it, then figure out where you can use it.

while we're on the subject: do any rifle clubs have opinions on shooting with moderator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Hi guys

93r17BTVS.jpg

My intentions are to shoot rabbits and hares if some of the latter happen to stray across my sights with .17 HMR but also to spend quite a bit of time on the range to practice and maybe compete. I'd add a moderator and of course a scope. Since I am a lefty my only other real option is the CZ American which appears to cost a similar amount of money and this appears to be a far better rifle.

What do ye think? I am asking here, since this is also for punching paper, but if the mods feel that this ought to be in the hunting forum, feel free to move it.

I've me eye on one of these as well. You can pick one up in NI for under 400 euros.

I've me eye on one of these as well. You can pick one up in NI for under 400 euros.
    whereabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

whereabouts?

I don't want to be too specific as I've recommended the shop before. And a bit wary of seeming to 'promote' something I've nothing to do with. Check your PM.

contents removed - for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lordarpad you will find it hard to beat this little 22lr. It will shoot 12mm groups all day long @50m. using Eley subs.

I got this brace today and was only out for 30 minutes. Both shot at about 60m and what a lovely day to go out for a shot.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59663423#post59663423

Clive is right go a long way to beat a CZ ;)

Advertisement