Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just handed in my notice

Options
  • 29-03-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My post is similar to the one below (Leaving a job in current market) except that I've actually gone through with it. I think I did the right thing as I became very unhappy in the job in the last few months. It was OK at the start but then (without giving too much away) it became a situation where some days I was leaving for work at 7 in the morning and not getting home until 10 at night.
    This usually happened on a Friday to make things worse. I had to work through lunch every day and my boss was downright unpleasant and rude, mocking me because I came from the countryside and not giving a s***e what hours I worked.
    I could go on but another reason I left is because I wasn't getting good experience in the job and in my spare time I was working on something which I enjoyed (which may or may not lead to alternative employment) but I haven't had ANY spare time to work on it recently.
    My "social life" was non-existent also.
    A lot of it is that I want do "my thing", (I am not lazy) I want to learn things in my spare time, expand my horizons, do a few night classes, you know.
    I have the time to do it now, I suppose I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't have some doubts over my decision, I don't really, I am just wondering what others opinion of me is?
    Brave or foolhardy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

all i can say is fairplay to you!! im thinking bout jacking in my job but havent got the balls yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

what you posted on sounds liek your boss was bullying you,if i were you id chat with nera,cant do any harm and you might get a few bob to last you a bit longer.this current climate is pretty tough for finding a new job and if they were treating you wrongly anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I worked for a multinational for 13 years and found it difficult from day one.
    Last Nov 2007 I took an opportunity to leave on redundancy and look for something else.
    After 13 years being branded "slow" or "improvement required" or other such negative stuff it came as a surprise to discover I could achieve 95-100% in all my tests in the course I am doing in FAS at the moment.
    The course material is very similar to the job I was doing in the place I worked in but without the pushy,demanding intimidating atmosphere I was able to think and do.
    People need to be given time to think and grow and develop themselves and unfortunately sometimes that cannot happen if you are working fulltime and bringing up a young family at the same time.
    Several things have come together to improve my lot.
    My family have grown up, eldest in college and youngest in school both looking after themselves more or less with minimum time input from me.
    The redundancy package means I don't have to earn a living for a year or so, giving me time to do a course which will set me up better in a technical role in the future.
    The nature of the course means I am meeting people for the first time I would never have met at work, people in much worse situations educationally, developmentally etc. than I am in. This is giving me a new perspective on life in general and increasing my confidence to no end.
    I have found the support of FAS and Social Welfare in this regard to be very heartening and good to know your country is there when you need it.
    It all depends on a persons circumstances but often a person gets caught up in the hurry of work to have time to think of a way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

So long as you can survive financially for a while you're better off. If you stay in a situation for that for too long you'll end up doing long-term damage to your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Fair play to you.
    There is no point putting up with that - its never any easier to leave imo , the longer you are there the more beaten down you get.
    so well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

My post is similar to the one below (Leaving a job in current market) except that I've actually gone through with it. I think I did the right thing as I became very unhappy in the job in the last few months. It was OK at the start but then (without giving too much away) it became a situation where some days I was leaving for work at 7 in the morning and not getting home until 10 at night.
    This usually happened on a Friday to make things worse. I had to work through lunch every day and my boss was downright unpleasant and rude, mocking me because I came from the countryside and not giving a s***e what hours I worked.
    I could go on but another reason I left is because I wasn't getting good experience in the job and in my spare time I was working on something which I enjoyed (which may or may not lead to alternative employment) but I haven't had ANY spare time to work on it recently.
    My "social life" was non-existent also.
    A lot of it is that I want do "my thing", (I am not lazy) I want to learn things in my spare time, expand my horizons, do a few night classes, you know.
    I have the time to do it now, I suppose I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't have some doubts over my decision, I don't really, I am just wondering what others opinion of me is?
    Brave or foolhardy?

It feels like I wrote that. Bizarre how similar I feel. I just want out, and can financially support myself... I just can't seem to grow the cajones. Right now I'm actually running myself into the ground for an employer that ultimately doesn't care or won't notice, to the detriment of my personal life and my studies (that I do part-time).

It's a killer. I'd actually take a 50% paycut just to have a better quality of life...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I did exactly the same. I was in a job that had me leaving my home at 06:30 every morning (weekends included). I just because so unhappy because of a number of factors (wasn't getting home until 9 every night, was filled with crap in order to accept the role, the company in want of a phrase "were useless"). I couldn't deal with anymore and having only seen the area manager 3 times in four months, that was it. I could feel myself getting more and more unhappy and knew that when I last saw the area manager, I told him what to do with the job (in a political manner) and sorry I didn't go verse on verse with him as to why I "hated the job".

I didn't regret the decision and still don't to this day. I'm happy I left and it’s been 2 months now. I'm taking my time as in the last 10 years I have only ever had short holidays like taking a couple of days off here and there. I'm relaxed and more focused now and have a new lease of life and swore to myself I would never take a job where the money is great but the unhappiness was even greater. I want to like what I do for a living.

If you're waking up in the morning and saying to yourself "not another day in that place" or if it’s ruining your time off because of the thoughts of going back, then it is time to leave. That’s how I looked at it. My friends see a huge change in me and it’s good to hear that.

Do what you think is right, because in the long run t will catch up with your health.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

It feels like I wrote that. Bizarre how similar I feel. I just want out, and can financially support myself... I just can't seem to grow the cajones. Right now I'm actually running myself into the ground for an employer that ultimately doesn't care or won't notice, to the detriment of my personal life and my studies (that I do part-time).

It's a killer. I'd actually take a 50% paycut just to have a better quality of life...

I was 6 years in a company , 1st year grand , 2 year crap , then hoping for the next 4 it would go back to being grand.
    Eventually left and thank F I did.

Advertisement