Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The proper copyright verse?

• 29-03-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    A few people have sent me emails asking me for photos that I have taken of them. I have no problem with this or them printing if for their own use but I don't want them to use it for anything else.

Say I took a picture of a women selling jam, she wants me to send it to her and doesn't say why. Then she uses it on her jam jars. I want to avoid this from happening and so what verse should I include in the email.
    Ps The jam and musician is only an example.

I want to have copyright of my pictures and dont want them reproduced in any way.

Can you help?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's easier if you merge your examples into one for a smaller carbon footprint etc

inthecity.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So Padocon you think the full publishing rights should remain 'the preserve' of the photographer? (ahem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Im sorry I don't understand what you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

humberklog wrote: »
    So Padocon you think the full publishing rights should remain 'the preserve' of the photographer? (ahem)

tee hee!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

padocon wrote: »
    Im sorry I don't understand what you mean?
    Sorry. A bit of levity (if simply not funny). Preserve=jam.

• Advertisement

Ha,ha
    Sorry I am only getting the jokes now! lol.
    Im not blonde though.

Does anyone really know what to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just send them a low res watermarked file,That way they won't use it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

When sending on the pictures, simply state they are "not for commerical use"... Once you make it clear to the person there should be no problem and they might hire you if they are looking to shoot something such as album cover etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi padocon,

By default (and assuming you weren't being paid to take the images), if you looked through the viewfinder and pressed the shutter release then you are the copyright holder and the only thing that can alter that fact is if you sign over your assertion of your copyright to another individual or corporate. (All of this is AFAIK rather than legal opinion).

Enforcement of the above is where the problem starts. For example; You copy an image to the internet and someone lifts the image and uses it for whatever purposes without your agreement or you send someone a print - they scan it and it appears on the jam jar without your agreement. All of this is copyright infringement where you have not yielded your assertive right to the copyright of the image.

Once you release an image in digital or print format you will lose control to some extent and the above scenarios can happen. This is a risk management exercise - weigh up the likelyhood and impact and that will tell you are ok with releasing the image(s) in whatever medium. Some ways you can mitigate against it happening - watermark on-line images, only release low res online images, stamp back of printed materials, have printed image release forms asserting your rights to the copyright of the image.

Ultimately breaches of copyright will put you on a collision course with whomever abuses your rights on the image - legal perhaps, by agreement perhaps, but hassle always.

Hope this is relevant - I'm not quite sure that it is what you are asking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did you get a waiver from them when you took the photograph of them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That would have nothing to do with it at all.

The photographer still owns the copyright unless there is a contract stating otherwise.

As for the OP - when you send/sell someone your images, send a license agreement with the photos, giving details of what the client may or may not do with the images. Everything else would be subject to further negotiations.

It was taken on public property. No I didn't.

Paulw wrote: »
    That would have nothing to do with it at all.

As for the OP - when you send/sell someone your images, send a license agreement with the photos, giving details of what the client may or may not do with the images. Everything else would be subject to further negotiations.

Thanks, but this is where I am stuck. What to write?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Write exactly what you want, make it as clear as possible.

Something like -

You are hereby granted the right to use the enclosed images on your website, for self advertisement. You are not permitted to distribute the images or use them for commercial gain without the extressed permission of the photographer or his assigns.

Or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'd phrase it something like this:

"If you use this picture without permission, I'll send the boys round - grrrrrr!"

On a more serious note, if I want to watermark my pictures that are on pix.ie, how do I do that?

colblimp wrote: »
    I'd phrase it something like this:

"If you use this picture without permission, I'll send the boys round - grrrrrr!"

On a more serious note, if I want to watermark my pictures that are on pix.ie, how do I do that?

With an editing software like Adobe Photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

padocon wrote: »
    With an editing software like Adobe Photoshop.

No need to do that a simple watermark(and frame) can be done in Vso image resizer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lots of options for watermarks - irfan view (free) does it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have started outlining what the users can and cannot do with my pictures I usually point out that they cannot commercially reproduced with out my expressed permission.

you can say something like 'I am sending you this image of you selling jam under the following conditions:' and then mention that they are not allowed to sell the image, use the image for packaging or use derivative works from the image for packaging.

Also point out that you own the copyright image full stop, even though it is a picture of the person in question they do not use the copyright.

but try to do it in a nice way :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    lots of options for watermarks - irfan view (free) does it too.
    not free for commercial use

• Advertisement
Advertisement