Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brides of Franc - RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After reading this, I want to see it too... jesus, sounds unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, in the intro blurb they say that the couples work with Franc who works to make their dream wedding at no extra expense to the couple.... so I think that means that they dont actually pay for Franc's services but all the rest would have to come in inside the original budget they put up.

In fairness to the couple: the recession comment could have been slightly out of context. I would think that it means "the recession doesnt affect our wedding budget because we've been saving for this for a while now and dont intend taking out a loan".

In fairness to common sense: it was an amzingly over the top wedding and imho, they destroyed a spectacular room with tacky "bling" but, if thats what their into... perhaps i'm just old and conservative...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

Thumpette wrote: »
    Aw I meant to watch this. :( Anyone know if/ when it gets repeated?

I missed it too but hopefully I'll be able to watch it online soon, just have to wait for RTE to put it up on their website. Last weeks show is available to view.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/franc/av_index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I dunno, thought she looked well weird, like she was running out of skin and it had to be stretched tight to cover her.

I think that's one of the signs of having no soul...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I never understand why people are not happy enough with meeting someone that they want to marry, without having to create this whole Disney facade for their friends and relatives. Absolutely disgusting display of wealth in a time when a lot of people are losing their houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

it's now on the rte site: http://www.rte.ie/tv/franc/av_index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Brilliant, I missed the second half so will watch it tonight. The first few shots of her talking has interesting camerawork..the camera frame doesn't include the top half of her head as her forehead is pretty big.but Im not here to give out about her looks, her wedding was bad enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yellowyellow

Hi all, i think its very unfair that you have been commenting on someones personal choice of how they wanted their wedding to look, i happend to be at this wedding and know both bride and groom personally and to read about your comments is very upsetting. it may of been a bling wedding which i know that they saved a long time for, the pair have know each other for over 15 years so the comments that it will be over soon would be so wrong. One of the other things that was not mentioned on the show was instead of wedding favors they donated money to the down syndrome ireland charity everyone recieved a card with the details of the donation.The comment the recession did not effect them was not one related to money but one that related to the bad news in the market place, that they were not going to allow this dampen their spirits. you have to remember the shows is made up of hours and hours of recordings that RTE edited down to 30mins. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

The first few shots of her talking has interesting camerawork..the camera frame doesn't include the top half of her head as her forehead is pretty big.

Ha I thought this too! Unusual for camera angle to be so bad...

Wedding was rather tacky........

Bling bling bling blink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Hi all, i think its very unfair that you have been commenting on someones personal choice of how they wanted their wedding to look, i happend to be at this wedding and know both bride and groom personally and to read about your comments is very upsetting. it may of been a bling wedding which i know that they saved a long time for, the pair have know each other for over 15 years so the comments that it will be over soon would be so wrong. One of the other things that was not mentioned on the show was instead of wedding favors they donated money to the down syndrome ireland charity everyone recieved a card with the details of the donation.The comment the recession did not effect them was not one related to money but one that related to the bad news in the market place, that they were not going to allow this dampen their spirits. you have to remember the shows is made up of hours and hours of recordings that RTE edited down to 30mins. thank you

didnt see it, saw the trailer, was more than enough
    but:
    your friends WERE picked because the producers KNEW they would create this kind of reaction and therefore interest in the series

SO
    1. Why did your friends do the show?
    2. Why are your friends so insecure that they
    a)Went on the show
    b)Had to have such an appalling wedding
    (yes i asked the same question twice!:D)

3.What is it about your mates that made them so appealing to the makers of car crash tv?

4.Booooooh hoooooh?
    5. *************? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 worksucks

Think to be honest if they can't take negative comments they shouldn't have pushed themselves onto the box on a Sunday night.
    It is people like this who give weddings a bad name. Ur mans suit was like tin foil the shine off it!! I actually feel sorry for the couple because there must be something wrong with their relationship to want all that attention and want to impress people so much they are so materialistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont know either person. While to me it is overkill, they were entitled to do what they wanted. Its their own money, they should be allow spend it as they chose.

As soon as they went on TV with it however they opened themselves to these types of conversations and probably would have been better advised not to show it on TV.

However, The sort of comments quoted above are unfair to say the least. I would suggest editing your post.....
    Kippy

Thread cleaned up. Keep it civil, folks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yellowyellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I'm guessing...

He makes all the money
    She is a complete social climber who just trys to attach hereslf to money and the celeb lifestyle
    He is just an ugly chancer who is happy to trade in money for a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Never seen anything like it in my life - i was all at the start "oh they are a bunch of bulls***ers" and then by the end of it i was like "WOW That banquet room is GORGEOUS"! ha:D The ice sculpture was WAY over the top - can you imagine what the whole thing cost - that wasn't mentioned act was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'm guessing...

He makes all the money
    She is a complete social climber who just trys to attach hereslf to money and the celeb lifestyle
    He is just an ugly chancer who is happy to trade in money for a woman.

You guess wrong.

"In episode two, Franc meets Dublin couple Graham Crawford and Dee Maher, known to their friends as D&G, a stylish name they both live up to. Dee and Graham are hoping for a wedding that is all about bling and style, with the hallmarks of a movie premiere or a paparazzi-strewn red carpet event.

The couple work long hours - Dee is a lawyer at Google's Dublin headquarters and Graham is an internet sales executive - with little time left to plan the wedding of their dreams. Enter Franc, who conjures up ideas that are set to transform Dublin's Westin Hotel into a venue for the stars.

But will everything go according to plan for Franc? Will the Swarovski crystals and specially imported chandeliers be lost in the vastness of the venue? Will the D&G ice sculpture make it in one piece? And despite a dawn start, will Franc have enough time to transform the grandly ornate Westin reception hall into a flashbulb-popping, "blingtastic extravaganza"?"

So what if they want to spend huge money, it's theirs to spend. To say that people shouldn't spend money because other people are losing jobs is ridiculous. Maybe they have worked their asses off to earn that money.
    It's their wedding day, they wanted it their way. So what? If you don't like it then go have your own wedding for 20p or whatever.

Just watched it there... I was expecting something along the lines of sweet sixteen cringiness. While it was a bit OTT, it wasn't as bad as I expected. They saved for it, it was the wedding they wanted (its not the kind of wedding I'd want, but everyone is different). Fair play to them.

I'll say something about Franc though... the guy is good at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There were a couple of people there wondering what the couple got out of the show, in case RTE paid for some of the wedding.
    From what I can see the couple get the time and services of Franc and his team for free (while still having to pay all the material costs)
    He gets free advertising and selling the show to RTE.
    Not a bad vehicle for his company at all.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I really like the show. I didn't see anything wrong with last night to be honest. The couple work really long hours in good jobs and if they can afford it why not! The D&G thing was a little OTT alright. They are no spring chickens either so I reckon they had saved up.

I really enjoyed the episode on the Aran Islands, that was simple and stylish.
    Great show over all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just goes to show that money can't buy you taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

She was a difficult B**ch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Wow... Lots of people here with big standards. OK, it was a bit tacky, a bit over the top, a bit "bling" but they saved up their money, they didn't get in to dept, they didn't buy the ice thing, it was a present... It was their day, travelers have much much ostentatious weddings that cost more all over the country.

I'd say the Aran island wedding cost more with the logistics to be honest.

OK, it wouldn't be my thing, but each to their own, its not like it was your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

i watching now. Oh dear God:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I love watching Brides of Franc, It is like Super sweet 16 in that it is very annoying to watch but I cant look away :rolleyes:. Anyway did not agree with Dees comments about how the recession is not affecting them, i dont think no one is safe from it. In most episodes of this show you do get a sense that they do want to get married because they love each other and all that, but one of them said at the start that they could organise it themselves but they want it to be better than their friends which I thought was a bad comment as well, Im surprised they did not hire Lillies out for the hour they had spare just so she could turn people away on a busy night!!! Anyway good luck to the couple..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

They are free to spend their money how they like, but I did think they came across as being full of themselves. There's such a thing as humility, and trying to relate it to the recession was ludicrous and patronising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

i am not on about the cost
    i am on about how crap it was
    she made him look like a fool a complete ass who had no brain
    they did not even bring there family in to it or her family home
    the whole show was crap and it just show that money dose not buy class
    i taught the couple last week were great and so much in love ect
    Peared wrote: »
    You guess wrong.

"In episode two, Franc meets Dublin couple Graham Crawford and Dee Maher, known to their friends as D&G, a stylish name they both live up to. Dee and Graham are hoping for a wedding that is all about bling and style, with the hallmarks of a movie premiere or a paparazzi-strewn red carpet event.

The couple work long hours - Dee is a lawyer at Google's Dublin headquarters and Graham is an internet sales executive - with little time left to plan the wedding of their dreams. Enter Franc, who conjures up ideas that are set to transform Dublin's Westin Hotel into a venue for the stars.

But will everything go according to plan for Franc? Will the Swarovski crystals and specially imported chandeliers be lost in the vastness of the venue? Will the D&G ice sculpture make it in one piece? And despite a dawn start, will Franc have enough time to transform the grandly ornate Westin reception hall into a flashbulb-popping, "blingtastic extravaganza"?"

So what if they want to spend huge money, it's theirs to spend. To say that people shouldn't spend money because other people are losing jobs is ridiculous. Maybe they have worked their asses off to earn that money.
    It's their wedding day, they wanted it their way. So what? If you don't like it then go have your own wedding for 20p or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

seangal wrote: »
    they did not even bring there family in to it or her family home

I doubt the couple have much of a say over the final edit.

You are not talking about the cost, but you keep telling us money can't buy class...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I reckon that they must have rich parents or someone helping them finance the whole wedding which meant they weren't too worried about money.
    Thought it was way over the top, but you only have one wedding day (usually) so whatever makes the couple happy is what counts.
    Do think they came across pretty badly from the whole thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

i think the groom was just there as another accessory as without him she could not do it
    he looked so bored and lost it was unreal

Advertisement