Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk man

Options
  • 29-03-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

This is something that really really pissed me off.

Was sitting in da vincis last night at the window with the missus. Lovely evening, and was going to head to the court yard after to watch ireland play. Noticed a drunk man walking out of Sams takeway and he couldnt even stand up straight (stumbling back and forth and to the side). In one hand his take away and the other hand keys. I kept an eye on him as he was waiting to cross the road.

Long and behold he hops into a land rover. 5 other people in the resteraunt were staring out in disgust. 10 seconds later I see a dad walking across the road holding his 4 year old sons hand. This is the very reason that this upsets me, he could ran them over as he was so intoxicated. I couldnt see his licence number and given the circumstances wasnt in a comfortable position to ring the gardai.

People like this I would drag him out of the car and beat the living **** out of him. Sorry not normally aggressive but this is an exception.
    I would really hope that others would call the gardai and not expect someone else to do it. I'm seriously regretting not going outside and doing that. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

What you should be regretting is not having the balls to ring the gardai.

This behaviour is unacceptable and will only be tackled if people call the gardai when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

muletide wrote: »
    What you should be regretting is not having the balls to ring the gardai.

That is what I regretted...not calling the gardai. However, I do have balls ;) Called the gardai twice before when I witnessed a man walk into a pharmacy in city centre and pulling out a gun on the staff. The gardai were there in 2 minutes, response time was unreal.

The other time was in kilcock when someone pulled a gun out on me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you're so big-balled and versed on Garda response, you'll know that it was more than worth it to ring the Gardaí with a partial plate, colour and make/model of the jeep. They might have had a unit on that very road, or they might have no units in the area for 20 minutes, but to sit and do nothing (other than tut tut at everybody except yourself) is simply inexcusable.

Thankfully, the father/child crossing the road were fine, but just imagine, however unlikely it might seem, what might have happened. To what circumstances in "given the circumstances" do you refer to? That you'd be embarassed? That you think he had friends around that would intimidate you?

Next time, grow some and ring. It truely is shocking that it still happens, but it only happens because we, as a society, do nothing about it. You've just added to that.

It's easy for you to condone what I...didn't do. Why not take the spot light off me and put it onto the person who offended. Or perhaps ask yourself honestly would you have ran out of the resteraunt and chased down to get a licence plate number while your girlfriend is sitting inside and have a bottle of wine drank. My point is...given the circumstances I could not see his licence plate and couldn't run out after him. You have no right to tell me to grow some when that is not the issue at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

cgarvey wrote: »
    If you're so big-balled and versed on Garda response, you'll know that it was more than worth it to ring the Gardaí with a partial plate, colour and make/model of the jeep. They might have had a unit on that very road, or they might have no units in the area for 20 minutes, but to sit and do nothing (other than tut tut at everybody except yourself) is simply inexcusable.

Thankfully, the father/child crossing the road were fine, but just imagine, however unlikely it might seem, what might have happened. To what circumstances in "given the circumstances" do you refer to? That you'd be embarassed? That you think he had friends around that would intimidate you?

Next time, grow some and ring. It truely is shocking that it still happens, but it only happens because we, as a society, do nothing about it. You've just added to that.

Give the guy a break, as he says, it’s not him that should be feeling guilty, it’s the selfish f*cker who got drunk and drove home. Yes, we have a responsibility to help these situations when we can but we can’t all be 100 % alert witness, thinking of every possible option at all times. Blue Wolf was drinking himself remember, I’m not saying he was p*ssed, but maybe he didn’t have a completely clear head to think that ringing the garda anyway with no information might help. Plus, he didn’t say he got a partial plate, or even colour/make of the land rover.
    Even coming on here after the fact, where others can read this example and maybe think quicker themselves if it happens to them, could be helping. Your point about ringing the Garda with any info at all is good advice too but don’t scald others for not doing it or thinking of doing it.

• Advertisement

Good to see some people are rational, and your name is very appropriate given the circumstances :D
    D-FENS wrote: »
    Give the guy a break, as he says, it’s not him that should be feeling guilty, it’s the selfish f*cker who got drunk and drove home. Yes, we have a responsibility to help these situations when we can but we can’t all be 100 % alert witness, thinking of every possible option at all times. Blue Wolf was drinking himself remember, I’m not saying he was p*ssed, but maybe he didn’t have a completely clear head to think that ringing the garda anyway with no information might help. Plus, he didn’t say he got a partial plate, or even colour/make of the land rover.
    Even coming on here after the fact, where others can read this example and maybe think quicker themselves if it happens to them, could be helping. Your point about ringing the Garda with any info at all is good advice too but don’t scald others for not doing it or thinking of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Lets call a spade a spade, you should have rang the Guards.

Complaining that these things disgust you after you did absolutely nothing to try and prevent it is not a retarded thing to do.

I'm not saying you should have ran down the jeep or anything, just a description of the make and model would have been something at least.

Lets call a spade a spade, you should have rang the Guards.

Complaining that these things disgust you after you did absolutely nothing to try and prevent it, or make good of it is as retarded as the driver who went driving.

I'm not saying you should have ran down the jeep or anything, just a description of the make and model would have been something at least.

Thanks.

I think its retarded to complain about something after you did nothing to try and prevent it..

And i think you'll find most people will agree with me on that.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Edit: There should be a mandatory IQ test when registering for this site. Anyone under 10 should be rejected. Stop idiots like Gone Drinking from posting mindless, ignorant, stupid, childish comments.

If i look like the idiot on this thread, i don't hold much hope for you.

Best of luck there

• Advertisement

I think its retarded to complain about something after you did nothing to try and prevent it..

And i think you'll find most people will agree with me on that.

You compared me to a drunk driver who has the potential to kill someone. I will find that most people have a brain and cop on and will not agree with you.

I never complained about people not reporting him. That would be a stupid comment. I said I can't stand drink drivers.

If i look like the idiot on this thread, i don't hold much hope for you.

Best of luck there

I don't hold much hope for you in life let alone a community website.

.....Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

Ladies please... enough.

Guy got drunk and drove his jeep...nobody reported him...that dosent make everyone who saw the incident taking place but failed to report it to the gaurds a criminal.

The drunk guy was the only one in the wrong, realistically.

I said I can't stand drink drivers.

But you did.. you stood it and did nothing about it. Then you came onto the internet to complain about it. Does that not seem silly to you?

But you did.. you stood it and did nothing about it. Then you came onto the internet to complain about it. Does that not seem silly to you?

I came onto the internet to tell the story. Reason behind the story was I was surprised to see someone just get into their car and drive off. Was i coming on to complain that nobody else rung...?? No I didn't so I don't see your point.

If you came on the internet to complain about a service in such a such place but didn't complain to the service provider would you be a "retard" as you put it??!

You have said in previous posts that oh ya the Ozone is a dive, did you tell the owners that so that they could make it a better place? If not does that make you a "retard".

I personally don't think so, the attitude of a lot of Irish people are ah sure I just wont go there again. According to you than most Irish people are "retards" and "silly".

Like I said I wasn't saying FFS nobody else rang the gardai to report the chap, its an absolute disgrace.
    I said I can't stand drunk drivers to which you replied your just the same for not reporting him.

If you like you can admit your wrong, retract the insulting statement and make a new one. You will be a bigger man for admitting you were wrong.

Alright man, i've edited my statement.

Moral of the story: Next time you see someone going drink driving, ring it in.

Well done, and I retract my bold statements about you.

Thanks and I hope you will ring when presented with the opportunity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SeanMurphy wrote: »
    Ladies please... enough.

Indeed - out of the mouth of newbies.

Keep the personal comments out of it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wasnt in a comfortable position to ring the gardai.
    People like this I would drag him out of the pizza placeand beat the living **** out of him.
    Fixed that for you. You winge about some drunk maybe knocking something over, and yet do f**k all about it? Hang your head in shame.

=-=

He'll do it unitl he gets caught. Either alone in the jeep, or after he scores a "Gouranga"... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Lets call a spade a spade
    Omg ya racist :)

Original poster ya done nothing wrong. Im sure everybody in this thread actually everybody on boards has seen someone doing something illegal and not rang the cops. I do it all the time lol. Never have credit on me phone. Rang em up a few times alright though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I have rang the Gardai on many occasions but not this occassion.
    I have said that I regret it, I don't see why people like to put the spot light on me and criticise me.

Moosacka (Bad Boys 2) Let it go. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I have rang the Gardai on many occasions but not this occassion.
    I have said that I regret it, I don't see why people like to put the spot light on me and criticise me.

Moosacka (Bad Boys 2) Let it go. ;)

Cos you made the mistake of coming on an internet forum looking for support...... don't you know what this is man?? Survival of the fittest!! ;)

What happens here is the internet warriors will tell you that you should have pulled this guy out of his jeep via the exhaust pipe and done a raindance on his head

The internet Black or white no grey heads will tell you that it is your civic duty to carry a fully charged fully credited mobile phone so you can ring the gardai/army/ coast guard when you see something inn the slightest bit suspicious.

the rest of us, who would probably have stayed in there and eaten our meal with a quiet feeling of rage and disgust at both ourselves and the driver are just gonna keep quiet and wait and see what side of the fence looks like winning and then jump!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I would really hope that others would call the gardai and not expect someone else to do it.

Not having a go here but this sentence makes my brain hurt.:D

gatecrash wrote: »
    Cos you made the mistake of coming on an internet forum looking for support...... don't you know what this is man?? Survival of the fittest!! ;)

What happens here is the internet warriors will tell you that you should have pulled this guy out of his jeep via the exhaust pipe and done a raindance on his head

The internet Black or white no grey heads will tell you that it is your civic duty to carry a fully charged fully credited mobile phone so you can ring the gardai/army/ coast guard when you see something inn the slightest bit suspicious.

the rest of us, who would probably have stayed in there and eaten our meal with a quiet feeling of rage and disgust at both ourselves and the driver are just gonna keep quiet and wait and see what side of the fence looks like winning and then jump!! :)
    Your totally right there. The first reply to this kinda thread seems to always set the whatyamicallit for the rest of the thread.

Isolate that sentence and I can see that its really stupid :pac: put it back into context and you can see that I was saying I should have rang, I feel bad now and hope that people would ring as I will next time :)

Phew ok wow lovely weather today isn't it :cool:

Phew ok wow lovely weather today isn't it :cool:
    not bad actually. I might get up today.

seanybiker wrote: »
    not bad actually. I might get up today.

You're not up yet?? Ah I'm in work in the office, although I do it handy seeing as I'm on this site :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blue, just because you didn't ring the guards (and thanks for clarifying my "circumstances" question) doesn't make you any where near as guilty as the driver; that's pretty obvious.

However, your reaction to the driver is understandable. One of shock, pretty much. It is shocking, that someone (especially in an urban environment with available, affordable public transport) would still do that. The problem is that he felt he could get away with it and that it was OK. He calculated the risk of being caught and the shame of being caught and decided it was worth it.

Your reaction to not do anything other than frown from the sideline (and highlight the story after the fact in the media) is not unique, by any means. However it is part of the problem. The driver (however drunk) decided that drunk driving was socially acceptable enough for most people to not report it. You're part of that problem.

You could have rang, you could have gone outside and rang, even with partial details. You could have brought your girlfriend outside with you, if you were concerned about it. There's lots of things you could have done. Just because you didn't ring with the exact plate and driver description as he was taking off in first gear, doesn't mean he couldn't have been caught. You decided you didn't want to do any of those things, so that's why I said grow some. Do I think you're as evil as the driver, of course not, but that's not the point I was making.

• Advertisement

That's fine, I don't mind contrasting opinions etc, just don't like when people start getting personal.

Thanks again for everyones comments on this.

Advertisement