Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think my dog has a tick

Options
  • 29-03-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Think my dog has a tick.

Can he get Lyme Disease from this in Ireland?

I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

No real need to get the vet to see the dog. Get some Frontline or equivalent from your chemist or the vet's, and administrate yourself.
    HTH
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

for the future, get yourself one of these

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/flea_and_tick_protection/tick_hooks_and_tweezers/129907

lets you pull out any tick safely and completely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No need to go to the vet, get some tissue grab the body of the tick and twist very slowly until it releases it mouth and pulls out. Dont yank it straight out as the mouthparts can be left in causing inflammation.

Dogs can get lymes disease from ticks but its not that common so unless hes showing signs of illness in the next few weeks he should be ok. Frontline all the way from now....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoganmahew

You can also kill ticks with vegetable oil pour on and massage gently around the tick - it suffocates and dies and falls off. Spray sun-tan lotion is a handy way of doing this if your dog won't sit still for you to pour the oil on! (The spray sun-tan lotion solution also works on children as I found out on holiday recently!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

Another great idea is to get some alcohol in the form of a spirit,I use Vodka,pour a little over the tick,wait a minute and then get the tissue and clamp the base of the tick.
    Because of the alcohol it will have released the pinchers and you should be able to pull it straight out.

You really don't need to go to the vet for a tick.
    Is frontline available from the chemist?We always go to the vet to get it for our two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Lucky you aren't in Australia, over there the paralysis ticks can kill in hours. e.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Thanks for all the replies - it wasn't a tick in the end. Took him to the vet but it was just a scab on his ear!

Advertisement