Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland WCQ RTE 2 7:50pm Wed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

luckylucky wrote: »
    It's 6-1 now. you can check scores on livescore.com.

I give up tbh

thanks btw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

A point away to Italy is fantastic

The wiki page on European qualifying is pretty good, has a table of the second place teams in the groups and it takes off the points against the current bottom teams of each group.

Ireland currently third bottom but having played less games as played current bottom team Georgia twice and beaten them twice.

It looks at the moment as though the Scottish groups runner up may well miss out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Doyle
    What a performance. All the players seem dissapointed with just getting the draw, and rightly so, they played Italy off the field.
    Dunphy is such an idiot. Both him and giles gave us no chance (either did I) but at least giles was genuinly happy for the team and talked about the positives. Dunphy just talked about the negatives and laughably slated the decision to bring Folan on. He also changed his stance on Cannavaro, at half time he was brilliant, at full time he was "finished".
    I think most man-u fans will remember that Fergie was "finished" about 4 years ago as well according to eamo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doyle
    Bet things are a lot quieter in Sofia right about now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Doyle
    Guys, let us not post any libelous insults.
    /mod

As a neutral, the match wasn't a great one but I'm not really sure Italy would have played any better had they kept all 11 players.

Ireland really started with a poor team, handicapped and I'm pretty sure I've played against better players than McShane ;)

Your manager did eventually get things right but despite the tenacity (Hunt looked the best player for me), the lack of quality is really what stopped Ireland winning.

The midfield looks average when the had noone to play against, here was no real link between attack and midfield. The wings looked rigid and predictable (Hunt actually looked better cutting in and winning possession than he did going outside the fullback) and I would still hang questions over your defense (noone should concede a goal like that).

I think Ireland did well because they attacked with tenacity. I think had they tried to play the way I've watched them so far in this campaign, they would be exposed. Ireland are alot like (and I await the abuse) the USA in terms of quality. The US know this though and they try and play offensive soccer, getting the ball forward fast and keeping pressure on the opponents, Ireland, aside from tonight, don't realize this and try and play a game that is beyond them.

Maybe they will learn something from today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The lads on Setanta remember the events of 20 years ago better than the RTE boys.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gibson
    GuanYin wrote: »
    Guys, let us not post any libelous insults.
    /mod

As a neutral, the match wasn't a great one but I'm not really sure Italy would have played any better had they kept all 11 players.

Ireland really started with a poor team, handicapped and I'm pretty sure I've played against better players than McShane ;)

Your manager did eventually get things right but despite the tenacity (Hunt looked the best player for me), the lack of quality is really what stopped Ireland winning.

The midfield looks average when the had noone to play against, here was no real link between attack and midfield. The wings looked rigid and predictable (Hunt actually looked better cutting in and winning possession than he did going outside the fullback) and I would still hang questions over your defense (noone should concede a goal like that).

I think Ireland did well because they attacked with tenacity. I think had they tried to play the way I've watched them so far in this campaign, they would be exposed. Ireland are alot like (and I await the abuse) the USA in terms of quality. The US know this though and they try and play offensive soccer, getting the ball forward fast and keeping pressure on the opponents, Ireland, aside from tonight, don't realize this and try and play a game that is beyond them.

Maybe they will learn something from today.

Do the Yanks qualify for the World cup if they beat Trinidad tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    It was Keane's goal. Hunt didn't get a touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gibson
    Have to say I really hate Keanes arms-outstretched goal celebration thing where he just seems to hold that pose for ages - comes across really arrogant and cocky, he didnt do much for the game and tbh Noel Hunt wouldve scored had Keane gone awol on that knock down by Folan. Thanks for the equaliser Robbie, but come on, show some class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Whelan
    it's gonna be a pretty close one lads. Even with the midfield woes we're hard to beat, Italy lack a cutting edge and the players will be more fired up for it than usual. Robbie to play his annual blinder (i.e. finally time a run right) and maybe nick an equaliser in the final minutes of the game. 1-1 i'll go for.

*smug look on face*

was fairly disappointed at the disorganisation on the pitch. Robbie was all over the shop not knowing where he was playing, and pretty much kept getting in the way of both the midfield and the forwards. Overall happy with the result, but meh, Italy were down and pinned back, we really should have created more clear cut chances.

sorry, but that's plop. While i'd agree the US would be fairly similar in standards to us, North American football is much much weaker, the US rarely come up against teams of Bulgaria's quality, let alone Italy's. Besides, continental football is much more tactical, Ireland would get destroyed if we tried to play an open game week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Doyle
    pwd wrote: »
    1-1
    /preen

Doyle
    redout wrote: »
    Do the Yanks qualify for the World cup if they beat Trinidad tonight ?

After 2 games into a 6 team group?

Can someone explain to redout how soccer qualifying groups work? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyone else hate that ad with the tards in the hats and the trap tshirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Whelan
    Robbie is a poacher, he can play ****e in some games but still come up with the vital goal. It's wonderful that we're blessed with a player of his ability, a real fox in the box.

I hope [EMAIL="tw@ts"]tw@ts[/EMAIL] like Roy Curtis in the Sunday World now **** off and get off his case. I'm convinced Robbie shagged his missus or something, he'll have nothing to write every second week.

Absolutely delighted with tonight, McShane continued selection still pisses me off though, I wish Foley of Wolves would be given the chance, he's been Wolves best player this season according to their supporters, even better than Ebanks-Blake.

Gibson
    Just looking over ours and Bulgaria's remaining fixture's and I really think that we have a great chance of finishing second at least. Certainly hold off Bulgaria.

Current standing:
    Ireland 12 points
    Bulgaria 7 points

Ireland - Possible 12 points
    Bulgaria (a)
    Cyprus (a)
    Italy (h)
    Montenegro (h)

I reckon we could realistically get 6 points from these 12 with a Montenegro win and 3 draws.

Bulgaria - Possible 15 points
    Ireland (h)
    Montenegro (h)
    Italy (a)
    Cyprus (a)
    Georgia (h)

I reckon Bulgaria will be good for about 9 points here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Folan

I'd say like myself he might have been looking at Sky Sports score Centre,

where the title is World Cup Concacaf Final, with 1 fixture listed :)

Final group stage it is then?

Robbie is a poacher, he can play ****e in some games but still come up with the vital goal. It's wonderful that we're blessed with a player of his ability, a real fox in the box.

If Robbie has any time whatsoever he's amongst the least clinical strikers i've ever seen!

His strength isn't poaching, its build up play, bringing in other players, unlocking defences and until he starts doing this for ireland again, he's underperforming.

Gibson

Excuse me but I read something about the Yanks playing in a final of some sort tonight.

Just checked that and its says its the CONCACAF Qualifying final so you will forgive me for thinking that.

Doyle
    sorry, but that's plop. While i'd agree the US would be fairly similar in standards to us, North American football is much much weaker, the US rarely come up against teams of Bulgaria's quality, let alone Italy's.

We play in the Copa America...... :confused:

Besides, continental football is much more tactical, Ireland would get destroyed if we tried to play an open game week in week out.

That is why South American teams suck, right? Oh.. no... wait... :p

Ireland don't seem to have the players to hold the ball back tactically. They look like they have the players for two tactics. Punt and rush or get the ball forward fast and pressure.

In midfield you have no passers, no player with vision, your central midfielders don't look comfortable on the ball, there is no strength or energy, you don't have ball winners...

but by all means, hope your team plays deep tactical football.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Whelan
    Elonex wrote: »
    Can't watch the Argentina game later now. :rolleyes:

Why not? Are you busy?

• Advertisement

Doyle
    Excuse me but I read something about the Yanks playing in a final of some sort tonight.

Just checked that and its says its the CONCACAF Qualifying final so you will forgive me for thinking that.

Final qualifying group.

:) Mexico play tonight too though. I think. Yeah..

call yourselves soccer fans.... ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Everyone in Ireland would have taken a draw from this match, and that's what we got :) Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

N. Hunt
    fullstop wrote: »
    Why not? Are you busy?

Score was put in this thread.
    No point.

fullstop wrote: »
    Why not? Are you busy?

to be fair it is far less enjoyable watching a match knowing the final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doyle
    Just looking over ours and Bulgaria's remaining fixture's and I really think that we have a great chance of finishing second at least. Certainly hold off Bulgaria.

Current standing:
    Ireland 12 points
    Bulgaria 7 points

Ireland - Possible 12 points
    Bulgaria (a)
    Cyprus (a)
    Italy (h)
    Montenegro (h)

I reckon we could realistically get 6 points from these 12 with a Montenegro win and 3 draws.

Bulgaria - Possible 15 points
    Ireland (h)
    Montenegro (h)
    Italy (a)
    Cyprus (a)
    Georgia (h)

I reckon Bulgaria will be good for about 9 points here.

My predictions had Ireland getting 6 points and Bulgaria getting 10 but we'd still finish ahead of them in that scenario. :)

The Bulgaria/Ireland game is going to be massive. At this point Bulgaria will probably feel it's win or bust for them since their next two games are very tricky indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Gibson
    I completely disagree that USA and Ireland are at the same level. When everyone is fit and/or picked then i think we are stronger. Sure the likes of Dempsey and Donovan would be good options for us, but i don't think they'd even vastly improve our team. Duff, Keane, Given, Dunne, S Reid, A Reid are imo better than any of their players. And i'm not even mentioning S Ireland, Carsley . . .

Gibson
    Final qualifying group.

call yourselves soccer fans.... ;):p

Apologies but Sky sports says it word for word exactly what I said.

http://live.skysports.com/ScoreCentre/live.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Gibson
    Delighted with Robbie getting the goal. Before Italys goal I was saying why is Keogh just jogging back and a second later grosso got the ball.

Have to say couldnt believe the lads in the studio werent giving traps any credit for making his changes early and Caleb Folan really impressed me. Fair play.

Even the Noel Hunt for Doyle switch wasnt bad.Doyle looked tired and wasnt really adding much.

Fair play to Robbie, Roy Curtis will find something to complain about again but sure no one ever seems to give the team or him a break.

Caleb Folan a great alternative now I think. Great game from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Doyle
    Ah here, people aren't honestly predicting us to not win in Cyprus are they? I mean maybe we won't win but we're definitely strong strong favourites. How badly has the Staunton regime damaged our belief?

Gibson
    DSB wrote: »
    Ah here, people aren't honestly predicting us to not win in Cyprus are they? I mean maybe we won't win but we're definitely strong strong favourites. How badly has the Staunton regime damaged our belief?

Underestimate Cyprus at our peril. They are a good side, and are very difficult to beat at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gibson
    Does anyone have video footage of Ireland's goal, would like to see that?

Folan definitely should be played again, great pace and with a bit of support could be a good asset. Hunt also showed promise.
    I would like to see O'Dea start in the place of Mc Shane next time for a while at least, Mc Shane making too many mistakes.

We had so many chances, but were scared to shoot. Got more confidence at the end, we need more of this.

As usual Rte manage to go on some weird tangent, commentator started talking about the Hunt's brothers uncle during the match, I mean wtf?

DSB wrote: »

They completely outplayed Italy in Cyprus, were incredibly unlucky not to win, very very late italian comeback and some incredibly bad luck in front of goal for the cypriots. Hit the post themselves about 15seconds before one of the italians goals iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have to say I'm usually Keane's biggest critic but he put in a good shift tonight. We honestly deserved a draw out of that game. The Italians sat back after taking the lead and deserved to be pegged back. It could have been so much better had Keane stuck that chance at the death but I would have taken a draw before kick off. There is no denying that Trap has major luck on his side, however.

Doyle
    I completely disagree that USA and Ireland are at the same level. When everyone is fit and/or picked then i think we are stronger. Sure the likes of Dempsey and Donovan would be good options for us, but i don't think they'd even vastly improve our team. Duff, Keane, Given, Dunne, S Reid, A Reid are imo better than any of their players. And i'm not even mentioning S Ireland, Carsley . . .

Yet, there never seems that much between Ireland and the Us when we play, In fact, I think Ireland struggled against Canada a few years ago :p

The US's strength is their speed and aggression. On paper, they're not as good as Mexico and maybe level with the other CONCACAF teams, but we play to our strengths. Ireland don't.
    Apologies but Sky sports says it word for word exactly what I said.
    Meh, I watched your TV say that Damien Duff was world class :p

I don't believe everything I read ;)

Actually this is off topic... maybe another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They certainly do. I'm debating on staying up to watch if I can find a stream...

Whelan
    In midfield you have no passers, no player with vision, your central midfielders don't look comfortable on the ball, there is no strength or energy, you don't have ball winners...

no vision, not comfortable on the ball... and you expect them to be able to successfully play attacking football how exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whelan
    Des wrote: »
    Definite humiliation awaits the Irish team.

Where's that humble pie gotten to...

Doyle
    no vision, not comfortable on the ball... and you expect them to be able to successfully play attacking football how exactly?

Much like they did tonight, with pace, attitude, tenacity and determination.

Gibson

against 10 men though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andrews
    Given: 6 - He kicked well under pressure at times. Nothing else really to do.

Kilbane: 8 - Very good game. The ball was all over the other side of the pitch in the first half so he never got the chance to look like Maldini against Pepe but he god forward a lot in the 2nd half and created some really good chances.

McShane: 6.5 - One of our most heavily involved players overall. Grosso got forward twice into McShane's position, 1 with crucial consequences so he's dropped down a notch or 2 for that reason. Much better passing than usual and typically dominant in the air.

Dunne: 8.5 - He pretty much played the playmaker role of defence today and was his usual dominant self defensively.

O'Shea: 7 - Did nothing wrong really.

Whelan: 9 - This fella was brilliant. Long passing, short passing, constantly showing for the ball. He dominated the game for us. Italy going down to 10 men changed them psychologically. It didn't change their ability to defend and Whelan ran the show. He looks really suited to the Italian game.

Andrews: 7 - I thought he was playing well before he went off. Showed for the ball much more than previous games. Running towards the ball when he'd previously have waited for it to arrive to him.

Hunt: 9 - He was brilliant. Everything just went right for him. Constantly beat players to win fouls or set pieces. Fantastic volley. I think every one of the Italian defence was fooled by him tonight. The best I've seen him play.

Keane: 8 - Intelligent performance from Keane in the playmakers role. And he gets a goal against the world champs.

Doyle: 6 - Cannavaro was unfortunately on the form that made him the best centre half in the world for the first hour or so and that's just too good for most strikers. Even in games like this though Doyle still just has something about him that makes him look classy.

Folan: 7.5 - He likes the direct game and he looked a very good player. Even his run against Grosso in the first half he had a nice glide about him. Helped create 3 or 4 great chances.

Overall I'm just delighted we did ourselves justice. That's all I ever ask. If our players only of the standard to play long ball at this level then I'll be happy to play that way but I'm glad the Italians saw we can actually play football.

I'd critisise Trap for the way the players sit back when we're leading if it wasn't for the fact Steven Reid doesn't sit back. It's up to the players to use their heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Doyle
    against 10 men though.

10 of the best in the world though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Gibson
    Des wrote: »
    Definite humiliation awaits the Irish team.

Just though id quote this post. For no reason in particular.

Whelan
    against 10 men though.

not to mention the weakest Italian forward line of the last two decades, and they still managed to conceed a poxy goal. we would be destroyed if we played that way week in week out. O'Shea and Dunne would be simply over run from all the counter attacks when we inevitably give the ball away in the final third. that would only work against American teams who can't defend for ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whelan
    Given 6
    Dunne 8
    O Shea 8.5
    McShane 6.5
    Kilbane 7
    Keogh 4
    Whelan 8.5
    Andrews 8
    S Hunt 8.5
    Doyle 7
    Keane 7

Folan 7.5
    Gibson 7
    N Hunt 6

Gibson
    eirebhoy wrote: »

Whelan: 9 - This fella was brilliant. Long passing, short passing, constantly showing for the ball. He dominated the game for us. Italy going down to 10 men changed them psychologically. It didn't change their ability to defend and Whelan ran the show. He looks really suited to the Italian game.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Whelan 8.5

9? 8.5?

Very generous i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Doyle
    O'Shea and Dunne seem to be getting no blame at all for the Italy goal. I know McShane was poor, but we all know he's a weak link up against Grosso, one of the best attacking fullbacks in the game.
    But Dunne and O'Shea were ball watching and left Iquinta unmarked. In fact, there was 3 irish defenders in 6 yard box and they still managed to leave the 2 Italians unmarked.
    McShane was played out of position as fullback, did alright attacking considering EVERY italian attack went down the left, targeting him. The one cross he let in, Dunne and O'Shea didn't do their job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-doTkyaq3o

Doyle
    not to mention the weakest Italian forward line of the last two decades, and they still managed to conceed a poxy goal. we would be destroyed if we played that way week in week out. O'Shea and Dunne would be simply over run from all the counter attacks when we inevitably give the ball away in the final third.
    Emm.. you conceded your goal before they started playing the attacking football.

You know, cos sitting back and defending works sooo well for the Irish team.....
    that would only work against American teams who can't defend for ****.

Or Mexico or the South American teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Gibson
    Satisfied with the performance tonight, especially since we were without our first choice players in key positions. With Finnan, McGeadey and Duff to come back for the Bulgaria game we should kick on from here. Win all our remaining games and we'll top the group :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    eirebhoy wrote: »

I'm not quite sure if this is a joke or not, but suffice it to say that i disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Whelan
    I don't see how trap can call back keogh this summer. He was brave and smart enough to take him off early in the game I still think we should move o'shea to the right permenantely and move o'dea into the center. Be a good opertunity to mess about in the friendlies this summer

• Advertisement
Advertisement