Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland WCQ RTE 2 7:50pm Wed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni believes his side deserved their draw with Italy in Bari.

The gap between Group Eight's top sides remains at two points after Ireland captain Robbie Keane scored a late equaliser in the World Cup qualifier.

Giampaolo Pazzini was sent off only four minutes into the game after he elbowed Irish defender John O'Shea but Vincenzo Iaquinta fired the hosts in front soon after.

Trapattoni, a former manager of the Italian national side, stated that scoring was not easy, despite playing against 10 men for almost the whole match.

"I think over the 90 minutes a draw is the right result because we were playing 11 against 10," he said.
    Chances

"During this time we had the best chances to win the game but after it went to 1-0 it was very difficult to score a goal because the Italian defenders and the Italy team are famous for being the best defenders in the world."

The 70-year-old hopes the result will give his side the momentum needed to leapfrog the Italians at the top of the group.

He added: "I was hoping for a draw coming here as it would put more pressure on Italy.

"They are still ahead, so that's an advantage, but there are many, many games to go.

"Yesterday, I didn't want to say anything as I didn't want to jinx it. But we are among 11 unbeaten teams in the qualifying.

"I told my players that and I thought that would give them momentum.

"We may be 26th in FIFA rankings, but we still haven't lost and that has to give them a great drive for work."

Italy coach Marcello Lippi was furious with referee Wolfgang Stark after he chose to show the red card to Pazzini, claiming there was no malicious intent in the Sampdoria striker's challenge.

Anger

"It's not right, not right. 90 minutes with 10 men because of that? At international level? It is not right in any way," he told RAI television after the match.

"We fought, we closed them down. It's a shame they scored a goal so late, I'm sorry for that but overall I'm sorry for having played a match at this level with 10 against 11 because of the fault of a referee.

"We talk about our referees but look at the foreign ones."

Pazzini himself also felt the sending-off was harsh, believing the referee may have been influenced by the blood that poured from O'Shea's face after the challenge.

"I would have been shocked even to get a yellow. I think the referee, when he sees it on the replay, will see he has made a huge error," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Doyle
    Jasus, Stephen Hunt got a bang in the head in the first minute and at half time he didn't know the score, he said he was shocked when he heard Italy were one up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    Quint wrote: »
    Jasus, Stephen Hunt got a bang in the head in the first minute and at half time he didn't know the score, he said he was shocked when he heard Italy were one up!

Huh?? Where did you hear that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Doyle

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andrews
    9? 8.5?

Very generous i think
    My motm definitely. Hunt was excellent but we had 67% in Italy. I don't care if it was against 10 men. I've seen poor teams play against 10 men and they still look poor. If we gave Italy just a 2 minute period on the ball things would have been so different as our heads start to dip and they start to show their class. But for the entire game we never gave them time on the ball and our passing was brilliant. It was flowing football in the centre of midfield and almost all our passing moves resulted in a cross into the box or a set piece. Whelan dominated and played a real playmakers role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Doyle
    Carroller wrote: »
    Source?

They interviewed a few players on RTE2 news, he was one of them. He played well, maybe Trap should give him a tap on the head with a hammer before each game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Whelan
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Ya when he blocked that free kick bent over laughing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Doyle
    Where's Cannavaro on that poll? :rolleyes: Clearly the best player tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Whelan
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    My motm definitely. Hunt was excellent but we had 67% in Italy. I don't care if it was against 10 men. I've seen poor teams play against 10 men and they still look poor. If we gave Italy just a 2 minute period on the ball things would have been so different as our heads start to dip and they start to show their class. But for the entire game we never gave them time on the ball and our passing was brilliant. It was flowing football in the centre of midfield and almost all our passing moves resulted in a cross into the box or a set piece. Whelan dominated and played a real playmakers role.

I thought Whelan had a fantastic game too (Dunne my MOTM though). I'm usually the first to give him dog's abuse and all - if you check my previous posts you'll see I said he wasn't fit to wear the shirt etc.

Our weak sports tonight were our full backs IMO, but although Kilbane isn't great he's a damn sight better than McShane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

well done to the lads tonight, they showed guts and composure that impressed me. I havent rated them for a long time but if they play like they did tonight in our remaining matches you can book your tickets to S Africa..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gibson
    Haha I can just imagine the look on Steven Hunts face in the dressing room at half-time when someone told him that we were actually a goal down :D I wonder did he realise that we had a man extra too?! You gotta love that little fecker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doyle
    GuanYin wrote: »
    Your manager did eventually get things right but despite the tenacity (Hunt looked the best player for me), the lack of quality is really what stopped Ireland winning.

The midfield looks average when the had noone to play against, here was no real link between attack and midfield. The wings looked rigid and predictable (Hunt actually looked better cutting in and winning possession than he did going outside the fullback) and I would still hang questions over your defense (noone should concede a goal like that).

I think Ireland did well because they attacked with tenacity. I think had they tried to play the way I've watched them so far in this campaign, they would be exposed. Ireland are alot like (and I await the abuse) the USA in terms of quality. The US know this though and they try and play offensive soccer, getting the ball forward fast and keeping pressure on the opponents, Ireland, aside from tonight, don't realize this and try and play a game that is beyond them.

Maybe they will learn something from today.

I think this is a very good point. In terms of the styles of the players, the levels they play at, and the effort and determination they bring to the table as a group they are highly comparable. And both teams are at their best when they play as direct, physical and fast as they can manage on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I think the result may end up papering over the cracks.

Was a very poor performance against ten men for pretty much ninety minutes.

The complete and utter absence of any creativity whatsoever in terms of creating any decent chances show there are serious problems with this team.

With all due respect, this was a great result for a dog**** (on paper) team. Keogh, Andrews, Whelan and Hunt have spent huge parts of their career in the lower leagues, and in Andrew's case, the lowest league. As have their replacements of Folan, Gibson and Noel Hunt. McShane cannot get into an appalling Sunderland team, O'Shea and Dunne are at teams who are falling apart, while our scoring striker was rebuffed by Liverpool as soon as he went there.. We are equally missing Steve Finnan, Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Joey O Brien, and Stephan Reid, while refusing to play Andy Reid, and Lee Carsley (not to mention Stephen Ireland). Our key attacking players were unavailable, and we eneded up getting a draw against the world champions.

Being down to ten men made no difference, if we lacked such enterprise, then they would have taken Ireland out. They created nothing of note after the goal.

"Papering over cracks" sprung to mind when we beat Georgia and Cyprus in Dublin. Not here. While I dont share the new found optimism that we are on the way to South Africa, I am not the eternal pessimist who will find fault with tonights performance, with Ireland's second strong midfield, and the absence of our Chmpions League winning fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Het-Field wrote: »
    With all due respect, this was a great result for a dog**** (on paper) team. Keogh, Andrews, Whelan and Hunt have spent huge parts of their career in the lower leagues, and in Andrew's case, the lowest league. As have their replacements of Folan, Gibson and Noel Hunt. McShane cannot get into an appalling Sunderland team, O'Shea and Dunne are at teams who are falling apart, while our scoring striker was rebuffed by Liverpool as soon as he went there.. We are equally missing Steve Finnan, Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Joey O Brien, and Stephan Reid, while refusing to play Andy Reid, and Lee Carsley (not to mention Stephen Ireland). Our key attacking players were unavailable, and we eneded up getting a draw against the world champions.

Being down to ten men made no difference, if we lacked such enterprise, then they would have taken Ireland out. They created nothing of note after the goal.

"Papering over cracks" sprung to mind when we beat Georgia and Cyprus in Dublin. Not here. While I dont share the new found optimism that we are on the way to South Africa, I am not the eternal pessimist who will find fault with tonights performance, with Ireland's second strong midfield, and the absence of our Chmpions League winning fullback.

ROFLCAKES

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

ShaneU wrote: »
    Where's Cannavaro on that poll? :rolleyes: Clearly the best player tonight.

Apart from being lucky not to get sent off twice, and going down to stop Ireland in possession.
    He's still a quality player, but far removed from the World Player of the Year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gibson
    Agoing down to stop Ireland in possession.
    Which kinda backfired, as we scored from the possession straight after :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doyle
    O'Shea and Dunne are at teams who are falling apart

facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lolz all the way through that especially the parts about josh and dunne. Good laugh before i get my beauty sleep:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

We just drew away to the World Champions with a starting 11 that included Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Andy Keogh and Paul McShane. Why the fcuk aren't we jumping for joy?!

Seriously, absolutely brilliant result. The players deserve far more credit than they've been getting so far IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Gibson
    Italy are an awful team. World Champions me beezwax.

Delighted we equalized but nothing else to praise against a team of 10 men. I wont fault the effort bur.....

Total lack of invention, terrible set pieces..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Gibson

Good shout. At attacking free kicks and corners, players didn't seem to know what they were doing. Didn't seem to have been worked on extensively. A team like us should definitely maximise these dead ball situations.
    Rubbish delivery didn't help matters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Gibson
    The goal masked a lot a poor play IMO.

No way should Kevin Doyle have come off.Terrible decision. It was Robbie Keane that wasn't getting a look in. We need Andx Reid, We need Steve Ireland, We need Finnan,

........We need A Keith Fahey....good delivery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Gibson
    There's no point discussing Stephen Ireland or Andy Reid; just wait and we'll see what happens. I'm not sure Fahey would offer more than Andrews or Whelan. The fact is that we are very limited with what we have in CM, but the lads did very well this evening, albeit against 10 men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

N. Hunt
    Folan MoM? im sorry lads but i disagree, YES he made a small difference to the team but apart from the flick on for the goal(i was the first man shouting for him to be brought on against Bulgaria for the last 10-15 mins), i really cant think of anything special he did. Gibson made a huge difference when he came on, he really controlled the ball, and started creating many passes which looked like we would get something out of it.
    Pity duff and mc geady wer missing coz i really think we would have won if them 2 wer on the pitch. They would have thrived on the space. Well done Trap switching Mc shane with O shea...... it suited us far better. Dunne was solid. Italy were there for the taking tho...and lets no forget this was a full 90 mins basically against 10 men.
    Its good tho that this game showed Trap that his tactics CAN be wrong.
    IMO next game Whelan-OUT Keogh-OUT McShane-OUT.......
    as long as we dont lose to bulgaria away..im very confident of at least 2nd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doyle

I can infact confirm that Italy are indeed the current Champions of the World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

N. Hunt
    I thought Whelan had a fantastic game too (Dunne my MOTM though). I'm usually the first to give him dog's abuse and all - if you check my previous posts you'll see I said he wasn't fit to wear the shirt etc.

Our weak sports tonight were our full backs IMO, but although Kilbane isn't great he's a damn sight better than McShane.

are ye serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Doyle
    With all due respect..... O'Shea and Dunne are at teams who are falling apart

I think you were looking for April 1st

Also the amount of fail in this thread... people rating McShane higher than Given/Doyle? Come on ffs, the guy is a sham and a joker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Des wrote: »
    Definite humiliation awaits the Irish team.

We'll start with you Des, Humble pie is now being served. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Doyle
    Fantastic display from the players last night. Several played way above their level and we got a few lucky breaks. More of the same againest Bulgaria and we have one foot in the playoffs at the worst.:)

Doyle
    Just read back through the thread. Lol at some posters. We have just drawn away to the World Champions (yes the World Champions) and still some complain. Get a life. Well done the boys in green :)

• Advertisement

Doyle

No way should Kevin Doyle have come off.Terrible decision. It was Robbie Keane that wasn't getting a look in. We need Andx Reid, We need Steve Ireland, We need Finnan,

Ireland won't play and Finnan is injured. Still don't let those facts stop ya from complaining :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kilbane
    Motm: McShambles :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Gibson
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I can infact confirm that Italy are indeed the current Champions of the World.
    link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Doyle
    The result last night was very creditable. Yes they were missing players as we were and had to play with 10 for most of the game, but we totally dominated the ball. Its true what Giles said about mindsets, when we had to go out and attack we did. This is probably the most limited bunch of players we have had in 20 odd years but they have heart, they are organised and have a little bit of luck which other more fancied Irish teams never had. Hats off to Trapp and his team. Still a long way to go to get to SA but the dream lives on. Roll on Sofia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whelan
    Des wrote: »
    Definite humiliation awaits the Irish team.
    yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whelan
    9? 8.5?

Very generous i think

Ireland second best player according to this, although at the time I was annoyed at Andrews going off

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_player_ratings_italy&prov=goal&type=lgns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he scored FFS

Gibson
    Why he left Whelan on i don't know, Andrews running at them would have been better.

Great result for the team we had out. If only we had Duff and S.Reid for that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Whelan

Keane played the whole match as the link between the midfield and strikers He was huge in the match and nicked that all important goal he was unlucky not to of got the second the ball just didnt fall fast enough for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Whelan: 9 - This fella was brilliant. Long passing, short passing, constantly showing for the ball. He dominated the game for us. Italy going down to 10 men changed them psychologically. It didn't change their ability to defend and Whelan ran the show. He looks really suited to the Italian game.
    For real? I thought the game passed him by in the first half. He improved marginally in the second. To say he dominated the game for us in nonsense. I would give him a six maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Doyle
    not to mention the weakest Italian forward line of the last two decades, and they still managed to conceed a poxy goal. we would be destroyed if we played that way week in week out. O'Shea and Dunne would be simply over run from all the counter attacks when we inevitably give the ball away in the final third. that would only work against American teams who can't defend for ****.

Delighted we equalized but nothing else to praise against a team of 10 men. I wont fault the effort bur.....

My god if there was a world cup for negativity we would win it hands down.

We just went to the home of the world champions and got a draw. they are how many places ahead of us in the world? Our mindset is to critise when praise should be heaped on the team.
    CHD wrote: »
    Why he left Whelan on i don't know, Andrews running at them would have been better.

Great result for the team we had out. If only we had Duff and S.Reid for that game.

whats with the if only's? we got a point away to Italy.

Gibson
    prendy wrote: »
    whats with the if only's? we got a point away to Italy.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great result for us. Just can't help thinking that game was there for the taking if we were full strength, it was there for the taking last night even with the team we had out. Hopefully we can build on it and beat the Bulgarians in there backyard with a positive approach to the game, then hopefully Bulgaria slip up in September hosting Montenegro and going to Italy and if we get results then just maybe we can beat Italy and qualify top. More if's but's and maybe's. I'm just that kinda guy.

But, Hopefully we can do it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

event wrote: »
    he scored FFS

did he though? I've played the replay a few times and I still can't tell if it was Hunt or Keane's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great result ,
    The lads did well no matter what way you look at it , A point away to World Champions , group leaders, top seeds etc etc I'll take that all day long in group stages of any comp.
    The team show great heart and pride which is all I ask from anyone playing for Ireland .
    Yes this is not the strongest squad we have ever had but last night give me a small bit of encouragement that we can keep boxing above our weight.

Ps the red card was very generous .thank f**k :D

Gibson
    quarryman wrote: »
    did he though? I've played the replay a few times and I still can't tell if it was Hunt or Keane's goal.
    Who cares?! Keane was given a tough role to play last night from 20 mins on. He did well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

CHD wrote: »
    Who cares?! Keane was given a tough role to play last night from 20 mins on. He did well imo.

I care. And if I was Noel Hunt and I'd scored a competitive goal against the World Champions I'd definately be claiming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    quarryman wrote: »

Keane did indeed score. Hunt kicked fresh air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    A point away to Italy is fantastic
    The wiki page on European qualifying is pretty good, has a table of the second place teams in the groups and it takes off the points against the current bottom teams of each group. Ireland currently third bottom but having played less games as played current bottom team Georgia twice and beaten them twice.It looks at the moment as though the Scottish groups runner up may well miss out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)
    Oo-er, that page now has us rated second last, and Croatia are last, with only three games played !! Of course this can all change, so no need to panic just yet. We can panic when we look back over our play-off record !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Great performance from the guys who were on the pitch last night (particular mention for Folan who did a good job when he was brought on).

We had 70% of the possession though - I can't help thinking that we could've won it if we'd had someone a bit more creative in the midfield (A**y R**d). Trap will revert to type for the Bulgaria game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Gibson
    I thought trap had to take Keogh off, he gave him a chance, but he was getting roasted on that side, tactics wise he took keogh off, brough on folan, put Keane in behind the front 2. I thought we started causing more problems then. Yeah doyle is a great player, but i thought the Italiens had him in their pocket last night. Its funny as soon as Given kicked the ball up, i had a flash back to packie, and then bang we scored. I thought dunphys analysis, was poor as always. Like, we have a very very limited squad, and there expecting fantasy football out of us. The goal we concided was school boy stuff really thats what dissapoints me the most.
    We might not like at times what traps doing, but if we qualify for worldcup thats all i care about..

Advertisement