Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland WCQ RTE 2 7:50pm Wed

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

tred wrote: »
    I thought dunphys analysis, was poor as always.
    Now there's an understatement. I've come across a couple of good articles on that subject actually, here and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    Dunphy to be on Newstalk soon talking about the match. We should all just text in and abuse him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Whelan
    I thought Folan looked good, but it's a bit worrying he usually doesn't make it into the Hull first team! What a difference a player with height and strength makes up front though, it just adds a different dimension to our game. I can't think of many tall Irish players apart from Folan, perhaps Cillian Sheridan could be an option in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

whycliff wrote: »
    Lads did anyone see Noel Hunt practically rugby tackling robbie keane as robbie wheeled away in celebration after nicking the goal.
    Priceless

Saw that on the paper today :D

Don't suppose anyone has a link to the pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Doyle
    rkeaneitaly_indo_304523t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Folan
    Caleb Folan. What a performance.

I thought Robbie in CM was a stroke of genius aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

I thought Robbie in CM was a stroke of genius aswell.

facepalm

Folan
    Headshot wrote: »
    facepalm

What did he do wrong?

He was better than both Whelan and Gibson.

Seriously im shocked you dissagree with that. Given the task of playing in CM against De Rossi and Pirlo, he pulled the strings and scored the winner. But i suppose he didnt save a pen, score 4 and injure every Italian player so he was awful? I dont get it.

What did he do wrong?

He was better than both Whelan and Gibson.

I hate to say it so bluntly but he was ****e besides he's goal he did fu'ck all

he more or less disappeared during the game

Folan
    What?

He went into central midfield and did exactly what we needed to do, retained the ball. We had 70% possesion and Keane had most of that.

I know your entitled to your opinion but i saw the way he played in a totally different way to you. I watched the match with around 15 lads and we all thought Keane was fantastic.

• Advertisement

What?

He went into central midfield and did exactly what we needed to do, retained the ball. We had 70% possesion and Keane had most of that.

I know your entitled to your opinion but i saw the way he played in a totally different way to you. I watched the match with around 15 lads and we all thought Keane was fantastic.

idk what to say Mikey,im speechless

I may need to sit down after this :pac:

we'll Agree to disagree I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Doyle
    Headshot wrote: »
    I hate to say it so bluntly but he was ****e besides he's goal he did fu'ck all

he more or less disappeared during the game

Who cares, he scored the equaliser thats what hes best at...popping up and getting crucial goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

JoeA3 wrote: »
    rkeaneitaly_indo_304523t.jpg

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I wouldn't read much into that table of Second Placers as there are too many permutations-regarding who actually will finish 2nd in their group and indeed who will finish 6th-as results against 6th place are not counted.

Anyway, no side in Group 8 has taken it by the scruff of the neck and as far as i'm concerned it is there to be won. With a bit of luck we could have a fully fit squad to choose from(bar long-term absentee S. Reid) and if so Ireland must be looking for 3 points in Sofia-I wasn't impressed with Bulgaria at Croke Park, I was more dissapointed with Ireland for negativity, we are certainly capable of beating them. 6 points against Bulgaria and Cyprus would then set-up a huge match at home to Italy assuming they also will have got 6 points away at Georgia and at home to Bulgaria. After the home Italy tie we should then have a good idea of who will finish where as Ireland, Italy and Bulgaria all host the bottom 3 sides on the final day. Second place to get into playoffs would be a good campaign but top spot is still possible and by no means an unreasonable ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PCros wrote: »
    Who cares, he scored the equaliser thats what hes best at...popping up and getting crucial goals.

i dont think he did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbJaQu1jz8#t=0m41s

out of the three he arrives the latest, and seems the least likely to have made the contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whelan
    Keane definately kicked it

Freeze frame it and you'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doyle
    i dont think he did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbJaQu1jz8#t=0m41s

out of the three he arrives the latest, and seems the least likely to have made the contact.

lolololololol

Ross, look at the pace with which the ball hits the net, the trajectory of the shot. Logic dictates that such movement was much, much more likely to have been generated by Keane's purposeful swing than the outstretched leg of Hunt.

And then, if Keane hadn't hit it, if he had swung and got nothing but fresh air do you really think that he would celebrate like he did? That Hunt wouldn't have attempted to claim it? Or that the people who monitor these things and compile official statistics wouldn't have assigned him the goal?

Come on now. As conspiracy type theories go this one is pretty poor! ;)

i dunno i am not the only one who thinks so, there a few posts in the middle of the thread talking about it i am sure, and a few others have said it.

he celebrated coz he's cheeky enough to claim it and there are not many players on that team who would try to take it away from Keane.

anyway not saying its definite just saying there's a possibility...

Folan
    Yeah try pause it just as its kicked. I got it perfectly and you can see Keane's boot gets contact ahead of Hunt and Cannavaro(?). Also the way the ball went could have only been Keane, Hunt was hitting it up, Keane was coming down on it. He reacted quickest as he often does.

Robbie wouldnt have gone as mental as he did if he didnt score.

Very impressed with the away fans last night. Heard Ole's and the like all game.

i havent been able to get it clear and paused at the right time...

• Advertisement

Folan
    ojdq1k.jpg

Thats my first try at a freeze-frame. You can see Keane's foot coming down on the ball and Hunt's leg stretched out making no contact.

I think our new jersey is really nice btw.

Gibson
    Hunt kicked fresh air. Keane kicked the ball into the net!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Doyle
    Yeah the new jersey is nice alright.

Was just wondering does anyone know how often does the home jersey get changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gibson
    We got a decent result last night and could have won. We had a lot of the ball 66% and all the shots. We were missing some players last night but lets not get to carried away as Italy themselves were missing some important players and practically played most of the game a man down:

Toni
    Aquilani
    Nesta
    Gattuso
    Di Natale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ojdq1k.jpg

Thats my first try at a freeze-frame. You can see Keane's foot coming down on the ball and Hunt's leg stretched out making no contact.

I think our new jersey is really nice btw.

At that point, Hunt had already swung and the ball had moved on, what makes me think Keane mightn't have gotten it is that from a splt second before your freeze, Hunts leg looks to make contact, and the trajectory doesn't look to change from that point onwards (to me at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gibson
    I am not so sure it was Keane's goal. Here is a screen grab from a different angle were hunts foot is clearly visible striking the ball. I think keano hit air, new it was close and being a greedy arse striker stole it !

[IMG][/img]huntorkeane.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Whelan
    I wouldn't read much into that table of Second Placers as there are too many permutations-regarding who actually will finish 2nd in their group and indeed who will finish 6th-as results against 6th place are not counted.

Anyway, no side in Group 8 has taken it by the scruff of the neck and as far as i'm concerned it is there to be won. With a bit of luck we could have a fully fit squad to choose from(bar long-term absentee S. Reid) and if so Ireland must be looking for 3 points in Sofia-I wasn't impressed with Bulgaria at Croke Park, I was more dissapointed with Ireland for negativity, we are certainly capable of beating them. 6 points against Bulgaria and Cyprus would then set-up a huge match at home to Italy assuming they also will have got 6 points away at Georgia and at home to Bulgaria. After the home Italy tie we should then have a good idea of who will finish where as Ireland, Italy and Bulgaria all host the bottom 3 sides on the final day. Second place to get into playoffs would be a good campaign but top spot is still possible and by no means an unreasonable ambition.

I'd be thrilled with a draw in Sofia tbh. We may have players back, but so will they, and in the heat of Sofia in June I think our lads might struggle. A draw would maintain our advantage over Bulgaria which has to remain the priority. If we can get to Croke Park still within three of Italy, that's when I'd start to think about winning the group.

What are the chances we end up playing the North in the playoffs at Croke Park:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Whelan
    Bulgaria have to play both cyprus and Italy away from home
    Us montenegro and georgia at home.

I think our fate is in our hands. But if Italy dont beat them we could be in for a tight finish.

we have
    away
    Bulgaria,
    cyprus.

home
    montenegro,
    Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gibson
    I dont think we have anything to fear goin to Sofia, they looked ordinary yesterday (though they should have Berbs back for that game). Its actually Cyprus away I'm more worried about! They gave Bulgaria a good game, lets not forget how they embarrassed us last time in Nicosia and they just aint the team that gets beat 5-0 anymore like they did in years gone by. A draw in cyprus wouldnt be the end of the world, and I think Trap will approach it with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gibson
    I dont think we have anything to fear goin to Sofia, they looked ordinary yesterday (though they should have Berbs back for that game). Its actually Cyprus away I'm more worried about! They gave Bulgaria a good game, lets not forget how they embarrassed us last time in Nicosia and they just aint the team that gets beat 5-0 anymore like they did in years gone by. A draw in cyprus wouldnt be the end of the world, and I think Trap will approach it with caution.

And Bojinov and Petrov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

N. Hunt
    Bulgaria have to play both cyprus and Italy away from home
    Us montenegro and georgia at home.

I think our fate is in our hands. But if Italy dont beat them we could be in for a tight finish.

we have
    away
    Bulgaria,
    cyprus.

home
    montenegro,
    Italy.

Basically i think it comes down to our game against each other in June and how each of us perform away to Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'd be delighted with a second-place finish, despite the quality of the teams in and around the second-place spot, I think over two legs we could be a difficult proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gibson
    not sure if it was mentioned here, but apparently Noel Hunt has appealed to the FAI that the goal should have been his last night :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Doyle
    Seems like a likeable lad then.

Gibson
    Right, it's time for me to do a complete U-Turn here and state that it was Noel Hunt who got the goal. The best angle is from behind the goal. Hunt got his foot to it, Keane had a swing but didn't make contact. The ball was on it's way.
    It's Hunt's goal. Whether he gets it or not is another thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andrews
    Aidric wrote: »
    For real? I thought the game passed him by in the first half. He improved marginally in the second. To say he dominated the game for us in nonsense. I would give him a six maximum.
    Passing Stats from last nights game:

Glenn Whelan 70 (89%)
    Richard Dunne 53 (96%)
    John O'Shea 52 (96%)
    Keith Andrews 46 (85%)
    Kevin Kilbane 44 (77%)
    Paul McShane 43 (98%)
    Robbie Keane 38 (87%)
    Darron Gibson 24 (92%)
    Shay Given 18 (100%)
    Caleb Folan 17 (94%)
    Stephen Hunt 16 (94%)
    Kevin Doyle 15 (73%)
    Andrew Keogh 7 (100%)
    Noel Hunt 6 (67%)
    ---
    Total 449 (90%)

Italy's highest was De Rossi with 41 passes and an 83% success rate.

Stats here:
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/world-cup-qual/2008/italy-rep-ireland-249455.html
    (Whelan also put in more tackles than any other Irish player)

And my player ratings aren't based on any stats. I'm just posting them to show that the game didn't pass him by and he certainly wasn't anonymous. Overall I thought he was terrific. His passing, his movement, everything. If our central midfielders weren't great last night I can assure you we wouldn't have had anywhere near 66% of the possession (10 men or not). Italy didn't have the ball because they couldn't get it and couldn't hold onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

N. Hunt
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    And Bojinov and Petrov

ah yes but.. we'll have S.Reid and Finnan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gibson
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g4bb7GQrXIkYH3Zby6taFAcXy0hg
    Drunken Ireland fan found in toilet

ROME (AFP) — An Ireland fan was found in the toilet of a bar in Bari the morning after the Italy-Ireland World Cup qualifier in the city having spent the entire night there.

The 34-year-old was discovered on Thursday morning, still sleeping off the previous day's drinking marathon, by the bar owner, who called the emergency services.

Italian news agency Ansa reported that no-one had noticed the Irishman's presence in the bar's toilet when it closed up for the night.

Irish fans had been celebrating after captain Robbie Keane scored a late equaliser in the 1-1 draw against the reigning world champions.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Whelan
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Right, it's time for me to do a complete U-Turn here and state that it was Noel Hunt who got the goal. The best angle is from behind the goal. Hunt got his foot to it, Keane had a swing but didn't make contact. The ball was on it's way.
    It's Hunt's goal. Whether he gets it or not is another thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUmvNslboo watch at 2:52

Whelan
    I still think Keane got the final touch

On 2.53, the italian defender's foot is goalside of the ball blocking any shot, hunt leg is fully extended and keane is mid swing

24348237.jpg

And If I freeze frame it again on the same second actually, I see this

52841676.jpg

Keane's no question about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

ah yes but.. we'll have S.Reid and Finnan!!

unfortunatly in a recent interview with Steven Reid he said he's aiming to return to football for pre-season training this summer-so that rules him out of the Bulgaria match. Finnan back would be a huge boost however-as well as McGeady and Duff.

As for the goal, i reckon both Hunt and Keane got a touch. The freezeframes do tend to show Hunt got a touch but the fact that he's leaning back would suggest that he couldn't have applied the power of the shot which Keane must have done...... I don't think the 2 players would claim it unless they genuinly thought they had a touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Passing Stats from last nights game:

Glenn Whelan 70 (89%)
    Richard Dunne 53 (96%)
    John O'Shea 52 (96%)
    Keith Andrews 46 (85%)
    Kevin Kilbane 44 (77%)
    Paul McShane 43 (98%)
    Robbie Keane 38 (87%)
    Darron Gibson 24 (92%)
    Shay Given 18 (100%)
    Caleb Folan 17 (94%)
    Stephen Hunt 16 (94%)
    Kevin Doyle 15 (73%)
    Andrew Keogh 7 (100%)
    Noel Hunt 6 (67%)
    ---
    Total 449 (90%)

Italy's highest was De Rossi with 41 passes and an 83% success rate.

Stats here:
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/world-cup-qual/2008/italy-rep-ireland-249455.html
    (Whelan also put in more tackles than any other Irish player)

And my player ratings aren't based on any stats. I'm just posting them to show that the game didn't pass him by and he certainly wasn't anonymous. Overall I thought he was terrific. His passing, his movement, everything. If our central midfielders weren't great last night I can assure you we wouldn't have had anywhere near 66% of the possession (10 men or not). Italy didn't have the ball because they couldn't get it and couldn't hold onto it.

Interesting stats, especially for Keogh. I thought he struggled to keep the ball in all of the 20 mins he was on according to some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kilbane
    Dempsey wrote: »
    I still think Keane got the final touch

RTE News about to give their take on it after the break :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kilbane
    RTE(Dunphy) say Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

S. Hunt
    Sherifu wrote: »
    RTE(Dunphy) say Keane.

Aye but what is the proper answer. Dunphy would be loathed to award it to Noel Hunt.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Whelan
    Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Aye but what is the proper answer. Dunphy would be loathed to award it to Noel Hunt.:mad:

the proper answer is that RTE have an angle that shows it was Keane's without question. Hunt's hit fresh air, his boot was above the ball and over Cannavaro's leg ffs, Keane on the other hand made a deliberate swing and is clearly seen striking the ball. end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

S. Hunt
    the proper answer is that RTE have an angle that shows it was Keane's without question. Hunt's hit fresh air, his boot was above the ball and over Cannavaro's leg ffs, Keane on the other hand made a deliberate swing and is clearly seen striking the ball. end of.

Seen it on the 9 news. Keanes goal.

Whelan

Ya didnt need the news, my screenshots were clear enough! :D

Can I have Dunphy's job please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Available online if anyone wants to have a look. Noel Hunt does not come out of this well!

Advertisement