Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Ireland WCQ RTE 2 7:50pm Wed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whelan
    0-1 to the Republic

Kilbane 30 yarder

feicfidh mé sibh an bliain seo chugainn san Afric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You never rated Steven Reid? Are you joking?

He is a great passer of a football. The 2 or 3 games he played for us last year made us look like a good team because he is this gold-dust type of Irish player who can keep the ball.

He has a rocket of a shot and makes surging runs from midfield, something our current CM's are allergic to. When was the last time you saw a good surge from someone in a Ireland jersey?

Steven Reid is a brilliant footballer.

Andrews made one towards the end of the Bulgaria game. Stephen Reid did play well for us in those games but I don't remember surging runs from him.

Now I do rate Stephen Reid especially ahead of Andrews, Whelan and co but just pointing that out.

Also I think it could be more a case of the manager instructions rather than the players that are stopping on surging runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Should you make a change if what you have on the bench is no better than what you have on the pitch?? The idea of a (tactical) substitution is to improve your situation.
    I thought, by not making a change in response to the goal, he showed faith in the 11 he'd picked to go and do the job. Keogh came on solely because McGeady couldn't run any more (knee injury).

I'm not talking about making changes just for the sake of it, no. But Trappatoni has been strangely unwilling to make changes in nearly all of the games. Granted we didn't have alot on the bench on Saturday, but we had a few players playing very poorly (Hunt, Whelan to name only 2) and surely throwing in someone like Andy Keogh or even Noel Hunt or Folan would have done no harm. They'd have been no worse than what was out there, and there really is no point in having a subs bench at all if you won't use it.

I take your point about showing faith in the starting 11, but what about showing just a tiny bit of faith in some of the substitutes? Why snub them completely? And why pick certain players in the squad at all if you've no intention of ever giving them a game? It's a complete waste of time picking a player like Folan if you don't intend to use him even for 10 mins, just leave him at home as he's no addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While many are talking about the negatives of Trap's reign I thought that it would be a good idea to examine the massive positive that people seem to overlook.

Our defence has improved immensely. We've conceded only 3 goals in five games. One of them was a loss of concentration in injury time when we were 2-0 up, one of them was an OG when we were pretty much not giving the Bulgarian's any clear cut chances and only one of them (the early one against Georgia) was a really bad goal to concede from a defensive point of view.

And all who have been watching will know that it's not just conceding goals, but how we look as a defensive unit. For a while now, the huge frustration in watching internationals has been the weakness of the team to withstand any pressure. Over the last few years, the habit of the Irish team has been that any time we look like conceding we quickly do.

Now we can actually absorb pressure for the first time in years. :D

Trap took on the team and showed clearly that he's trying to teach them two things - organisation and defence. Given that he
    had only a short time before he was plunged into a qualification campaign with a very limited squad, I think he basically decided to put the team through a crash course on defensive football - the idea being that if you lose as few games as possible, you put yourself in with a good chance of making the playoffs.

As regards the substitutes and the discussion of Andy Reid and others. I think if there was anything that would help the teams defence and organisation, Trap would do it quickly. However bringing in O'Brien, who's never played under Trap, for an away game in Italy, wouldn't exactly help our defensive organisation. Additionally, Andy Reid isn't going to do anything for us there either.

People need to stop saying 'what if?' and 'why not?' and just start saying 'so far, so good'.

So Far, So Good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Gibson
    Andy Keogh set to start on the right side. Zambrotta and Grosso (i think) against Keogh and Hunt. Kevin Doyle is now our main man with his workrate and ariel ability, and Cannavaro ain't the tallest or the quickest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Andrews
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    I take your point about showing faith in the starting 11, but what about showing just a tiny bit of faith in some of the substitutes? Why snub them completely? And why pick certain players in the squad at all if you've no intention of ever giving them a game? It's a complete waste of time picking a player like Folan if you don't intend to use him even for 10 mins, just leave him at home as he's no addition.

There is an aspect of having a squad that gets overlooked a lot. All week, the first 11 line up against the second 11 in training. That's one of the main purposes of the squad - to give you enough players to play 11 on 11 in training and simulate match conditions. From what I can gather, the 2nd 11 are drilled to perform like the side we're going to be playing (as in, they adopt the most likely formation of the opposing team). The 1st 11 then get a chance to see how they will have to play to break them down or indeed, keep them out.

Gibson
    Yep, there's nothing wrong about replacing tired legs with fresh legs with twenty minutes to go. Then again, my managerial CV doesn't exactly compare favourably to that of Trapattoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Gibson
    mormank wrote: »
    very good point. i think that people are jumping down traps throat way too soon here. look at his experience ffs!!

can i ask one thing tho, people are talking about steven reid like he will be some amazing player for us.and in CM. am i missing something?? i never really rated him personally...

Stephen Reid imo is a great player but has been cursed with Injury his whole career.

He may not be world class but in an Ireland midfield really lacking he is of huge importance. Such a pity hes out.

With him out though I cant understand why Lee carsley has been over looked.

Stephen Ireland can **** off at this stage to be honest.Not wanting to represent your own country is something I will never be able to understand.

Although I would forgive him if he came back in the next round of games :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

gosplan wrote: »
    While many are talking about the negatives of Trap's reign I thought that it would be a good idea to examine the massive positive that people seem to overlook.

Our defence has improved immensely. We've conceded only 3 goals in five games. One of them was a loss of concentration in injury time when we were 2-0 up, one of them was an OG when we were pretty much not giving the Bulgarian's any clear cut chances and only one of them (the early one against Georgia) was a really bad goal to concede from a defensive point of view.

And all who have been watching will know that it's not just conceding goals, but how we look as a defensive unit. For a while now, the huge frustration in watching internationals has been the weakness of the team to withstand any pressure. Over the last few years, the habit of the Irish team has been that any time we look like conceding we quickly do.

Now we can actually absorb pressure for the first time in years. :D

Trap took on the team and showed clearly that he's trying to teach them two things - organisation and defence. Given that he
    had only a short time before he was plunged into a qualification campaign with a very limited squad, I think he basically decided to put the team through a crash course on defensive football - the idea being that if you lose as few games as possible, you put yourself in with a good chance of making the playoffs.

As regards the substitutes and the discussion of Andy Reid and others. I think if there was anything that would help the teams defence and organisation, Trap would do it quickly. However bringing in O'Brien, who's never played under Trap, for an away game in Italy, wouldn't exactly help our defensive organisation. Additionally, Andy Reid isn't going to do anything for us there either.

People need to stop saying 'what if?' and 'why not?' and just start saying 'so far, so good'.

So Far, So Good. :)

Trap's done a good job. Ireland have an incredibly average team with a very very hollow centre so he's done the best with what's available. I don't see the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Folan
    There is no point in thinking about Steven Reid coming in anytime soon to change things in midfield, there is more chance of Andy Reid coming in,

S Reid although a great player, suffers on a huge scale with injuries, the guy wont be back for long if he does come back, its a pity but thats the way he is.

As for tomorrow nights match, if we play as we did against the Bulgarians, we don't have a chance of picking up anything from the game assuming the Italians turn up.

If we, as usual raise our game because of the venue and nature of the opposition, then i can see us nicking a point.

With a huge amount of luck, with a lot of our better players playing to their best, and with the rest of the team having faultless games we could get a win, anything is possible of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Doyle
    pierrot wrote: »
    Andy Keogh set to start on the right side. Zambrotta and Grosso (i think) against Keogh and Hunt. Kevin Doyle is now our main man with his workrate and ariel ability, and Cannavaro ain't the tallest or the quickest.

Should be the same line-up as Saturday. Aiden McGeady trained today with the rest of them.

Thank God!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Doyle
    McGeady has just been ruled out, according to Newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

parasite wrote: »

ffs

Doyle
    parasite wrote: »

Your right.....McGeady has been ruled out. Oh Jesus.

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/news/18090/mcgeady-out-of-italy-clash.html

Gibson
    Yep, just as i thought. Rossi, Pazzini and Pepe up front for the italians. No real height there, but they're quick. No experience there either, Dunne should have them in his pocket!

Folan
    Yep, just as i thought. Rossi, Pazzini and Pepe up front for the italians. No real height there, but they're quick. No experience there either, Dunne should have them in his pocket!

Pazzini to me could be quality player in a few years,

he seems to have found his way recently with Sampdoria,

Given how we were on Saturday, id fancy him to cause us trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doyle
    I think it's going to be a very tough evening for Doyle and Keane as they will struggle to get any service without Duff and McGeady and that gaping chasm in the centre of the pitch.

Gibson
    Pazzini is no spring chicken by this stage. He must be 24 by now. Used always rate him cos he's class in Champ Manager, but he seems a little limited technically, even if he's done very well this season. Can see Rossi getting one on his debut though.
    Doyle and Keane will struggle, but at least Doyle will run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gibson
    I just can't see Ireland doing anything tomorrow. Hunt and Keogh will offer nothing and the Italians will trapse through our joke of a centre midfield.
    Three nil Italy

• Advertisement

Folan
    Pazzini is no spring chicken by this stage. He must be 24 by now. Used always rate him cos he's class in Champ Manager, but he seems a little limited technically, even if he's done very well this season. Can see Rossi getting one on his debut though.

Yeah he is 24, he never lived up to the young player of the year award he won, but he seems to be more of a key player with Sampdoria, i know he isn't for Italy - but he is going into this with high confidence,

You are right about doyle though, he may struggle, but he goes looking himself, will run forever.

Gibson
    Pazzini is no spring chicken by this stage. He must be 24 by now.

Jaysus, you must have players retired at 29 or something!!

Folan
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, you must have players retired at 29 or something!!

i think it was more in reference to me saying he would make a great player,

you would expect him to show more signs by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Keane has to step up to the plate tommorow.

He is the only player in that first 11 that actually has the ability to turn it on from time to time.

No use running aimlessly and gesturing at refs the way he normally does. He has to show that he has talent and can be a captain

Gibson
    i think it was more in reference to me saying he would make a great player,

you would expect him to show more signs by now.

You know he's gonna score a hat-trick tomorrow, don't you? Not because he's world class or his ability, but simply because fate was tempted on Boards.ie
    Well thank you, thank you very much. There's no point even watching the match tomorrow. I may as well just watch Emmerdale, Coronation St and Fair City as well as whatever sh!te is on RTE1 at half eight. Probably something about me living not very long or what to do with a house or how to cook under the pressure in the surrounds of a kitchen in a busy restaurant.
    Cheers for that. Thanks for jinxing things!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Im hoping we can get a draw, Kilbane might tear into the game too make up for the OG on Satuurday.

Performance is key, if they work hard enough they will get something. Five unavailable midfielders might give the Italians the edge.

• Advertisement

Gibson
    population wrote: »
    Keane has to step up to the plate tommorow.

He is the only player in that first 11 that actually has the ability to turn it on from time to time.

No use running aimlessly and gesturing at refs the way he normally does. He has to show that he has talent and can be a captain

And you'd think he'd want to prove a point to Lippi. I hope.

Gibson
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Im hoping we can get a draw, Kilbane might tear into the game too make up for the OG on Satuurday.

Even if he wanted to or was able to, he wouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gibson
    Just under 20hrs to go lads. Lets keep it positve from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

O'Shea
    redout wrote: »

SEE MY SIG!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

2-0 to Italy. Our midfield is incapable of winning the ball resulting in aimless long balls which an Italian defence will deal with no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Doyle

24 is not young? :confused:

Giuseppe Rossi if that's who you are talking about, has already played for Italy a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Anyone got a "Fcuk Schillaci" teeshirt from Italia 90 still! :P

O'Shea
    2-0 to Italy. Our midfield is incapable of winning the ball resulting in aimless long balls which an Italian defence will deal with no problem.

WE SAID POSITIVE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gibson
    Only 7hrs to go lads. Here are the most likely lineups from the teams.

Italy probable lineup

Buffon

Zambrotta
    Chiellini
    Cannavaro
    Grosso

---Brighi
    Pirlo
    De Rossi

Rossi
    Pazzini
    Quagliarella

Ireland probable lineup

Doyle
    Keane

Hunt
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Keogh

Kilbane
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    McShane

Given

Gibson
    dubmick wrote: »
    24 is not young? :confused:

Giuseppe Rossi if that's who you are talking about, has already played for Italy a few times.

To clarify; i meant Pazzini is not the wonderkid with tonnes of potential going to be a great, which was thought by many when he first broke through at Fioretina. I'm not saying 24 is old, come on.
    Rossi has a few caps, but i think this is his first start, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Folan
    That Italian midfield trio is class. Don't think we'll have the ball all night :/

Possibly Grosso might be the only weak link in the defence? - He has always seemed to be of a lax defender to me.

O'Shea

Ireland probable lineup

Doyle
    Keane

Hunt
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Keogh

Kilbane
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    McShane

Given

SQUADFAIL

Gibson
    ^ spot on(that lineup) , don't think anyone's expecting Trap to spring a surprise.
    Anyone want to have a go at the Italian line up? Pirlo in the hole again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Doyle
    I'm really worried about tonight. Think we will suffer our heaviest defeat in a long long time. The lack of quality in the Ireland squad is shocking. I really hope i'm wrong but i can see us getting beat 3 or 4 nil. Italy's midfield will have the ball all night and we will be knacked after 60 minutes running after them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Gibson
    Highsider wrote: »
    I'm really worried about tonight. Think we will suffer our heaviest defeat in a long long time. The lack of quality in the Ireland squad is shocking. I really hope i'm wrong but i can see us getting beat 3 or 4 nil. Italy's midfield will have the ball all night and we will be knacked after 60 minutes running after them. :(

I'm not so pessimistic. I think we will lose, but Italy haven't scored many goals in this campaign so far, so I don't think it will be an absolute mauling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

And you'd think he'd want to prove a point to Lippi. I hope.

why would he need to prove a point to lippi?

lippi purchased him and was then sacked.
    it was tardelli (our assistant coach) who didnt fancy him and never played him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

Andrews
    Vokes wrote: »
    That Italian midfield trio is class. Don't think we'll have the ball all night :/

Possibly Grosso might be the only weak link in the defence? - He has always seemed to be of a lax defender to me.

have you not seen Cannavaro playing recently? he's been having shockers every game for about a month.. even on saturday against montenegro he was lucky to stay on the pitch, got a booking where a red was more likely - lucky boy.. Doyle should run him ragged..

I know people don't like the long ball, but i can really see keane or doyle latching on to one and scoring of first phase possession..

I also think Italy's 4-3-3 might suit us, with them intent on attacking and controlling the game in our half, there's every chance we can cause chaos down their end if we get early ball up there..

obviously I'm feeling highly optimistic.. but sure, that's the point right?? Believe you can do it, and you just might. Believe you're beaten and you already are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Highsider wrote: »

Italy dont go in for maulings. One goal will suffice for them, perhaps two.

I think it will be a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat. I really cant see the team scoring tonight. The midfield looks highly lightweight, and inexpereinced. Im disapointed in Trappatoni that he didnt put petty squabbles aside and recall Carsley and Andy Reid, who have more experience, and could partner, and nurture Glen Whelan or Andrews, and offer a real attacking threat on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

for me its time for the positive thinking..... 1-1

Doyle
    have you not seen Cannavaro playing recently? he's been having shockers every game for about a month.. even on saturday against montenegro he was lucky to stay on the pitch, got a booking where a red was more likely - lucky boy.. Doyle should run him ragged..

Very true point, I saw that and was amazed that he stayed on the pitch.
    Take a look at the highlights.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLQJmpvxxak&feature=related (0:55 mark)

How was that not a red? Hope he trys something like that tonight and we get a penalty. :D

Also their second goal was handed to them, very bad defending I dont think we're anywhere near as bad as that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Doyle
    If Dunne can emulate McGrath's heroics from '94 then we are in with a shout. I think tonight is the night to play the long ball and hope to nick something off a Doyle flick on. Our midfiels is incapable of stringing 2 passes together so it's the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Who will be on the left for Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Gibson
    Haha good few sober lads on SSN there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Doyle
    Is there anywhere to watch this online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

N. Hunt
    heres the italian team that I think will play.

Buffon
    ---Zambrotta----Cannavaro----Chiellini----Grosso
    Brighi
    De Rossi

Pirlo
    ----Pepe
    Rossi

Pazzini

Advertisement