Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing the fat

Options
  • 29-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have been successfully losing weight now for the past 10 weeks and I used the advice on the fitness forum.

DIET

With regards my diet, getting to know my food is what has helped me is.

I analysed my calorie intake for the first few weeks on www.fitday.com.

My standard daily diet would consist of:

Breakfast:

Porridge or 3 Weetabixs

Lunch:

Vege and lean meat (very occasionally I will have other meats)

Dinner:

Vege and lean meat (very occasionally I will have a spud or two)

Snacks: Fruit (3/4 pieces max)

My vege is often fried with some olive oil, ginger and/or mixed spices. Broccoli is my favourite vege. I have given up bread for the most part but I will very occasionally have some whole meal bread. I also don’t eat very much dairy.

I am strict with my diet during the week but I relax it to a degree at the weekends.

EXERCISE:

Cardio: 3/4 days a week; one of the following:

Spinning
    Running
    Swimming

WEIGHTS etc.:

At least one day week. In recent weeks this has taken the form of circuit training and few push-ups each day.

I still have a belly but I am getting there. I gained a lot of advice on the fitness forum and I check it out regularly for some extra tips.

On the 14th of January I weighed 111 kgs/17.5 stone.

Last Wednesday (10 weeks later) the 25th of March I weighed 101 kgs/15.9 stone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Down to 97 kgs now. I find the spinning classes great for keeping the cardio going.

I gave up all processed foods as part of my healthy eating plan. I do allow myself treats on the weekend now though and they do include processed foods but in the main I try to avoid them. What I noticed though once I reintroduced some processed foods back into my diet was now incredibility sweet they were. For example yogurt. I really became aware of the true meaning of processed foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Fair play man, Keep up the good work.

Down to 95 kgs now. I did the Arch 10 k run in the Phoenix pk. I'm really starting to enjoy the running now:)

Somebody PMed me looking for advice so I am just posting my reply here in case it is of use to others.

I'd be glad to give you a few tips. ... I prefer the running and spinning (bike) myself.

Try and introduce some excercises. Even do a few press ups and sit ups. I wouldn't be great on the free weights myself. My excercises takes the form of circuit training. You should try it if your gym does it. You'd be doing different types of exercises which work on all the major muscle groups. And you'd be shown the proper technique.

But like mentioned elsewhere it is really important to tackle the diet. If you just do that on top of the excercises you are doing already you may notice the weight dropping. You need to count the calories. I remember when I started my 'healthy diet' I thought I was doing great but I then counted the calories and I noticed I was taking in to many.

There is a formula for calculating the calories you need to maintain your current weight (discounting any excercises). It depends on your height, sex, weight etc. but I wasn't arsed doing it. I reckon I need about 2500 calories to maintain my current weight so I try and stick to aroung 1500 - 2000 calories a day. I'm a 5' 11'' by the way.

I did the following to make it easy to drop the calories:

- give up the spuds and bread
    - eat porrige in morning which means you stay full for longer
    - eat lean meat only
    - eat lots of vege to fill yourself up
    - give up processed foods (I make my meals from stratch using fresh foods that way I know what goes into my meals)

I found edcuating myself on my foods to be great. I can count the calories in my head now rather than checking it on net. You should do the same. Start by reading the stickies. Trust me there is loads of info there.

My diet may sound drastic and it probably is compared to what you are used to but give it a go for 2 weeks just to see how much you loose. I allow myself 2 treat days by the way (sat and sun). This helps me to be strict 5 days a week.

• Advertisement

I'm a steamin me veges now rather than frying em. There are too many calories in oil! Put a bit of garlic in with the vege while they are a stemin; it adds a nice flavour so it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

steaming> frying, tastes way nicer also

Advertisement