Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keds - are they vegan

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Someone said to me the other day that keds were vegan and i was wondering, are they??

What other readily available shoes are??

I'm new to this so i was wondering are the only completely vegan shoes the ones you buy online or would canvas rocketdogs or a pair of fabric pumps from dunnes be ok too. Its the glue that's confusing me i guess.

I know that's a bit all over the place but any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'm not sure about Keds, but I know that companies that make skate/bmx clothes usually have a good range of vegan shoes, companies like Vans, Etnies etc

http://etnies.com/blog/2008/07/22/this-ones-for-my-vegans/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

i-path sell mostly (if not only) 'vegan' shoes I think. Those are also skate-shoes though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's hard to tell with glue, teh people selling them won't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

Macbeth also do a vegan range, very comfy.

I've bought a couple of pairs of these.

To be honest, though, I will buy canvas/synthetic shoes and not sweat the glue too much, it's not labelled so it's very difficult to avoid.

If you'd prefer to stay strictly 'kosher', there are some vegan shoes available online, check out vegetarianshoes.co.uk, and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How do you guys feel about the leather tab on pairs of jeans?

Don't know of any jeans that come without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Plenty of jeans come without it. I personally avoid it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Loads come ewithout it. I just checked all of my like 20 pairs and one has it, eek. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Someone said to me the other day that keds were vegan and i was wondering, are they??

What other readily available shoes are??

I'm new to this so i was wondering are the only completely vegan shoes the ones you buy online or would canvas rocketdogs or a pair of fabric pumps from dunnes be ok too. Its the glue that's confusing me i guess.

I know that's a bit all over the place but any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

I used to manage Keds in UK / Ireland until they closed their European sales office. The products are now distributed by various companies throughout Europe.

The main components of the standard canvas Keds shoe are all man made / natural (cotton) materials. The shoes are manufactured using a "vulcanised" construction process. Effectively the rubber sole is still in liquid form when the upper cotton material is applied. - this makes for stronger adhesion than glue or other adhesive.

As far as I know, no animal product is used in their manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

thanks for the info darc.

Advertisement