Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs NZ/ Auckland

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey...

we are thinking of moving to Auckland any time soon and i was wondering if anyone has news on the job front.
    Ive been told that jobs are still very good down there and it should not be a big problem.

Has anyone experience?
    thx
    sumse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what kind of jobs?

ive yet to get to auckland (unless you count a 4hr stop over on the way to chch), but check out www.seek.co.nz for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, I've beaten crumble froo in the fact that I've been to Auckland for a whole day (and really liked it - it felt like a proper big city after the small town feel of wellington)!! :)

Can't help out much with Auckland but if you want any advice on Wellington I can help. Rabies lives in Auckland so he might be along soon to help out. What areas are you looking for work in? What kind of visa are you planning on coming on?

For the record, the small town feel of Wellington is quite nice. :)

watna wrote: »
    For the record, the small town feel of Christchurch is quite nice. :)

+1 :D

+1 :D

Twisting my words crumble, twisting my words!

but yes, Christchurch also as that small town feel that is quite pleasant to live in (but occasionally gets on my tits when I really want to do some shopping!). Auckalnd is definitely a bit more of a big city and has a different vibe to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

Well i would like Auckland but i saw pics of wellington and it looks fab fab fab...

As iam german i would not mind doind seomthing in customer care, office clerk, admin etc.

My boyfriend is a jewlery polisher.
    Woudl you know if there is actually an area in NZ where jewlery is being produced etc? He is not that flexible so i go where ever he has to go...

• Advertisement

awwh, i went to a place along the west coast (pretty rural, mind), where every other building was a factory or shop for greenstone or paua or some other jewellery... hokatiki? godammit, i can never remember maaori names. :o

:) dont worry, google is also my friend, haha
    my biggest worry is just that we wont find jobs and that we are in the same situation than here.

We would like to go on a permit visa, not work and travel.

where about do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SunSeaSand

Watna, Thanks for sound advice re. my ticket in other post. Do you think there's nicer vibe working in smaller towns near coast etc. than working in main cities? Trying to decide between teaching/childcare work (would have to do that in cities mostly I assume) or other more 'earthy' jobs if available!!??

well, i did/do (down to 2 days a week) childcare, and there's just always a demand for it here, especially if you've qualifications (i don't).

can't speak for anywhere else, but having been so used to living in one town my whole life in ireland where everyone knows everyone, but being so used to the bustle of dublin city, i do find christchurch a pretty cruisy place to live. there's that 'small' element to it, you do keep running into people, and ive found people in general really friendly and amiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

SunSeaSand wrote: »
    Watna, Thanks for sound advice re. my ticket in other post.

The visa is your biggest problem. Unless you've qualifications in an area that is deemed to be in high demand:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities/opportunities/

It can be difficult to get in.

Remember, the recession is global and it's hitting the South Pacific, Asia, and Australia too.

Think before you jump.

• Advertisement

SunSeaSand wrote: »
    Watna, Thanks for sound advice re. my ticket in other post. Do you think there's nicer vibe working in smaller towns near coast etc. than working in main cities? Trying to decide between teaching/childcare work (would have to do that in cities mostly I assume) or other more 'earthy' jobs if available!!??

Hmm - I think it depends on your personality to be honest. I'm a city girl so would never live in a small town - even Wellington can feel a bit small for me sometimes (like today - I went shopping for a pair of jeans only to be told no shops in Wellington did jeans in different lengths - it appears they think all women in NZ are the same height!)

I think work would be easier to get in childcare in cities too. It all depends on you really!

watna wrote: »
    (like today - I went shopping for a pair of jeans only to be told no shops in Wellington did jeans in different lengths - it appears they think all women in NZ are the same height!)

my boss lived in ireland for 12 years, and apparently jeans catering to different length legs is something she dearly dearly misses now. i think it may be something of an irish thing. or at least, specifically not a kiwi thing.

my boss lived in ireland for 12 years, and apparently jeans catering to different length legs is something she dearly dearly misses now. i think it may be something of an irish thing. or at least, specifically not a kiwi thing.

I was so pissed off, I got back to work and sent a ranting email to the jeans shop about their stock and staff. Three members of their staff told me that I could give them an extra $40 to pay for a tailor to take them up. I was really narky and told them I shouldn't hsve to if they actually had proper stock. They'll think I can never go in there again. Apparently most people have to get jeans/trousers taken up (unless you're tall - then you're screwed)

Just on the topshop website ordering a pair of petite jeans for my mum to post over to me. Am doubly pissed off because I've just found out topshop deliver to australia but not New Zealand.

OP - bring lots of jeans that fit with you! (unless you like 34 inch length - then you're fine:))

Well thats good to know, didnt think they woudl be out of jeans over there, hahahaa

Can anyone tell me how the Car Insurance works over there?
    I was looking at cars yesterday in NZ and in the add it said: non reg.
    Do you have to reg a car when you buy it or how is that managed?

Sumse

sumse wrote: »
    Well thats good to know, didnt think they woudl be out of jeans over there, hahahaa

Can anyone tell me how the Car Insurance works over there?
    I was looking at cars yesterday in NZ and in the add it said: non reg.
    Do you have to reg a car when you buy it or how is that managed?

Sumse

When you have a car you have to pay to registrate it - I think it's every 6 months. It's the NZ equivalent of road tax. You will also see WOF - this is warrant of fitness anfd I think the car needs it every 6 months. It's the NZ equivalent of the NCT. We didn't renew our reg once and we got fined $200! We weren't even driving it - it was parked on the street for a few days and someone obviously spotted it!

If you're buying a second hand car you should make sure it comes with a reccent registration (rego as they like to call it) and a wof. Especially the wof as if a car does not have one it is not fit to drive on the road and if you buy a car without one you have not guarantee it will pass.

As for car insurance - you can drive without it legally in NZ (which is ridiculous if you ask me) but it is worth getting at least third party in case you cause an accident. I think they have a national claims thing if someone without insurance hits you but I really think it is worth getting. Our car got broken in to (we live in quite a nice area of wellington) and after that we got third party insurance.

Advertisement