Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Metal Reccommendations

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

A friend of mine showed me some doom metal recently and I really liked it. I was wondering if anyone here would have any reccommendations on where to start with this genre because, to be honest, I know nothing about it.

I've listened to Thorr's Hammer and Capricorns and really liked them so where should I go from there?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Moss, Esoteric, Khanate.

There are loads of types of doom and often people prefer one over the other!

Drone, Sludge, Funeral to name a few types.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Candlemass
    Solitude Aeternus
    Warning
    Shape of Despair
    Hooded Menace
    Pantheist
    Evoken
    Unholy

probably best to start off with the more accessible stuff before checking out the likes of Esoteric, Khanate and Thergothon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ooh try out Black Shape of Nexus. From Germany, some amazing stuff. (Check out track "III". Just stupendous)

http://www.myspace.com/sadhusonofabitch

http://www.last.fm/music/Black+Shape+of+Nexus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Listen to Electric Wizard. Come My Fanatics.. and Dopethrone are all the doom you'll ever need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cathedral FTW.
    My Dying Bride aint half bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Mourning Beloveth. Great doom band and Irish to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

finbarr wrote: »
    Mourning Beloveth. Great doom band and Irish to boot.

Seconded, listening to their 'Disease for the Ages' album currently, excellent. Personal favourite album of theirs would be 'The Sullen Sulcus', breath taking stuff. More along the melodic edge than Thorr's Hammer (who have a fairly crushing sound), but definately worth listening to to expand your Doom collection.

"Tyranny" and "Worship"would be along a similar vein to Thorr's hammer, both solid bands.

"Candlemass" and "My Dying Bride" would both be worth checking out, both very influential doom bands.
    For personal favourites I would recommend:
    Warning - Watching From a Distance (best doom metal album ever, imo)
    Tristitia - Garden of Darkness
    Fear of Eternity - Spirit of Sorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sunn O)))
    Black One - great record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Thanks for the recommendations lads! I'll be streaming music for weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Anathema's early output is definitely worth checking out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Moss, Esoteric, Khanate.

There are loads of types of doom and often people prefer one over the other!

Drone, Sludge, Funeral to name a few types.
    Listen to Electric Wizard. Come My Fanatics.. and Dopethrone are all the doom you'll ever need.

YES! All of these are great recommendations.

Also, Burning Witch are another band related to Thorr's Hammer, also worth checking out.

Wreck of the Hesperus are an Irish doom group, heavy as ****.

Corrupted are a Japanese doom group who are difficult (and sometimes very expensive) to buy but worth the hassle.

Saint Vitus are a classic doom band that may not be as heavy as all of the above but are an important influence on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

i like blue cheer and pentagram. also trouble, st. vitus, witchfinder general, melvins, earth etc etc. i reccommend a lot of 70's obscure hard rock/heavy rock. leafhound, mountain etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Lamentations and New Dark Age by Solstice = win!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I'll give you a few sludge recommendations- if you like Capricorns you should like Pelican, Neurosis, Cult Of Luna, Isis, Rosetta, Lent0.

I'd also recommend Crowbar, Amenra & Torche. That should be enough to keep you goin for a while. ;)

Also, check out the site http://www.last.fm/home for recommendations based on what you listen to, thru WMP for example. The best site on the net, believe me! I've discovered so much new music thru it its unreal....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Forest of Shadows - here's a link to their song Eternal Autumn, set as background to clips from my favorite love story of all time, Dracula....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kJ4t6x9vs

Undertow wrote: »
    I'll give you a few sludge recommendations- if you like Capricorns you should like Pelican, Neurosis, Cult Of Luna, Isis, Rosetta, Lent0.

Erm, none of those are really sludge though. Sludge is more along the lines of Eyehategod:

or the aforementioned Crowbar.

Oh and I don't know if you've seen it but Neurosis have announced an Irish date. Can't remember when but Wolves in the Throne Room are supporting. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

John wrote: »

Oh and I don't know if you've seen it but Neurosis have announced an Irish date. Can't remember when but Wolves in the Throne Room are supporting. Awesome.

Where did you see that?

last.fm I think. Could be bull**** but I'm hoping it's not.

Damn. It was a prank.
    http://www.last.fm/event/1009480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Try Mael Mórdha - Gaelic Doom Metal. Folk influences, but not 'fiddle dee dee flaggons of ale' type folk: more melancholy and historical. Their lyrics read like a textbook. My favourite Irish band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

superconor wrote: »
    Try Mael Mórdha - Gaelic Doom Metal. Folk influences, but not 'fiddle dee dee flaggons of ale' type folk: more melancholy and historical. Their lyrics read like a textbook. My favourite Irish band.

I recorded both of Mael Mordha's albums. They are a great band.
    Also check out "graveyard dirt". Brilliant stuff.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564526

I recorded both of Mael Mordha's albums. They are a great band.
    Also check out "graveyard dirt". Brilliant stuff.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564526

2 shameless pimping posts in a row, one linking to the other..... :confused:

But yes Mael Mordha are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Pugsley wrote: »
    2 shameless pimping posts in a row, one linking to the other..... :confused:

But yes Mael Mordha are excellent.

I initially posted a link to graveyard dirt because I think they are an exceptional band that people may want to listen to. Then I noticed the doom metal thread and posted. I have nothing to do with either of these bands other than having recorded them. I was not "pimping". I am very open about being a recording studio and very rarely post in any of the band or music forums here other than the music production forum. On a rare occasion I want to share a link to a band that I think people may be interested in hearing I get accused of "pimping".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DreamerDeceiver

Anathema's The Silent Enigma album is a doom masterpiece. One of the best death/doom albums ever recorded.
    And Forest of Shadows is great too, especially his first EP and his album Departed... I don't like very much his new album Six Wave of Woe :(

I initially posted a link to graveyard dirt because I think they are an exceptional band that people may want to listen to. Then I noticed the doom metal thread and posted. I have nothing to do with either of these bands other than having recorded them. I was not "pimping". I am very open about being a recording studio and very rarely post in any of the band or music forums here other than the music production forum. On a rare occasion I want to share a link to a band that I think people may be interested in hearing I get accused of "pimping".:rolleyes:
    Taken to PM's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Watching from a Distance by Warning is excellent doom metal. Shame they split. Anyone know if the members are in other bands/projects now?

MetalDawg wrote: »
    Watching from a Distance by Warning is excellent doom metal. Shame they split. Anyone know if the members are in other bands/projects now?

Apparently not, according to:
    http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10936
    Shame, would have liked to see them live.

Advertisement