Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy some Devcon 10110?

Options
  • 29-03-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some compound to pillar bed a rifle action with, in BOTH timber and composit stocks. Having read a lot on the subject whats recomended is Devcon 10110 Plastic Steel Putty. But after a lot of searching I can't find anywhere to buy it.

Any idea's where I can get some of the Devcon 10110??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

CliveJ, I don't think it makes any odds which steel or metal epoxy one uses. Main thing is it slow curing or slow setting (24hr cure). If the viscosity is to stiff you can warm it up slightly and it'll flow better but pot life decreases.
    Might be a good idea to do a little test run to check pot life, viscosity and if your release agent works. Don't forget epoxy must be mixed very well.

Check at engineering supplies stores.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

cliveJ
    the devcon plastic putty you mention is available from www.radionics.ie
    just search for stock number 691-230
    and no i don,t work for them ...lol
    they do mail order

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Radionics can be a bit steep (we used them for ordering bits for the lab for years), but Farnell tend to carry whatever Radionics carries and for slightly cheaper (we used them as well). But if the kind of epoxy isn't critical, I'd try somewhere like maplin if it had to be metallic or any hardware store on capel street or any big DIY place or chadwicks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ejg wrote: »
    CliveJ, I don't think it makes any odds which steel or metal epoxy one uses. Main thing is it slow curing or slow setting (24hr cure). If the viscosity is to stiff you can warm it up slightly and it'll flow better but pot life decreases.
    Might be a good idea to do a little test run to check pot life, viscosity and if your release agent works. Don't forget epoxy must be mixed very well.

Check at engineering supplies stores.
    edi

Thing with the Devcon is NO shrinkage when cured. A lot of the epoxy's shrink and produce cracks in the finish.

Sparks wrote: »
    Radionics can be a bit steep (we used them for ordering bits for the lab for years), but Farnell tend to carry whatever Radionics carries and for slightly cheaper (we used them as well). But if the kind of epoxy isn't critical, I'd try somewhere like maplin if it had to be metallic or any hardware store on capel street or any big DIY place or chadwicks otherwise.

Thanks Marlin and Sparks
    I tried radionics but could not find the devcon any way it's out of stock now but Farnell have it in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not sure if it's the right devcon though clive, you'd want to doublecheck that before ordering!

Sparks wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the right devcon though clive, you'd want to doublecheck that before ordering!

Just checked again and the number quoted is 10112 and seems to be the same but it may have a different tempreture rating but it will do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

clivej wrote: »
    Thing with the Devcon is NO shrinkage when cured. A lot of the epoxy's shrink and produce cracks in the finish.

Can you show me a real epoxy that shrinks or cracks? Maybe polyester.
    The reason why one uses epoxy is because of the extreme low shrinkage. Even less when filled or loaded with metals or minerals.
    Biggest problem with epoxies is wrong handling, getting mixing ratios wrong, not mixing well enough, wrong room temperatur, moisture.
    Also maybe having a too thick wall section for the particular epoxy which could lead to too much heat when curing.
    I always mix my own bedding compound and only use aerospace approved epoxies, less surprises and better quality.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Can you show me a real epoxy that shrinks or cracks? Maybe polyester.
    The reason why one uses epoxy is because of the extreme low shrinkage. Even less when filled or loaded with metals or minerals.
    Biggest problem with epoxies is wrong handling, getting mixing ratios wrong, not mixing well enough, wrong room temperatur, moisture.
    Also maybe having a too thick wall section for the particular epoxy which could lead to too much heat when curing.
    I always mix my own bedding compound and only use aerospace approved epoxies, less surprises and better quality.
    edi

Thanks for the info EDI But I'll use the devcon as now I have found a supplier. It's the recommended bedding compound used by a lot of people that do the bedding on the websites.

Here is a good one
    http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

I pillar bedded my rem 700 with a kit I got on the web from the states got it shipped to me within ten days www.scorehi.com made a big difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement