Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA FIGHTERS WANTED for SHOWDOWN 2009

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

For Immediate Release

085 1612139
    Theshowdownevent2009@gmail.com
    www.bebo.com/theshowdown

SHOWDOWN 2009

“Calling all MMA Fighters”

Galway will host the most exciting fighting event this summer in Salthill when One Shot Promotions present the first biannual MMA SHOWDOWN 2009, Mixed Martial Arts Event at LEISURELAND, GALWAY on June 13th & 14th (Sat & Sun).

SHOWDOWN promises to be Ireland’s most entertaining martial arts event ever, with over 80 fights, live music, full bar, special guest appearances, special guest challenge match, tote betting, a chance to see some of Irelands top fighters in action. Each day will have it’s own theme to it:
    THE SHADOW is Day one, Irelands top Mixed Martial Artists
    THE STORM is Day two, Irelands top Kickboxers

On the night 20 CELEBRITIES will take to the ring in the Showdown ROYAL RUMBLE with the winner earning over €2,000 for his charity.

All Mixed Martial Arts Fighters and Kickboxers over the age of 18 are invited to enter the Showdown with top prizes of €1000 & the Showdown championship belt. There will be all divisions in this extradionary event which is to gather fighters from Ireland, Spain, England and the United States.

SO Who will be the last man standing at this summers SHOWDOWN?

Tickets available at Zhivago, Shop St. Galway or by contacting the number below.
    Competitors application forms available at Zhivago, Shop St. Galway or by emailing theshowdownevent2009@gmail.com
    For more information see www.bebo.com/theshowdown or contact 085 1612139

Deadline for FIGHTER Applications May 28th.

FIGHTERS DO NOT HAVE TO BE PART OF A CLUB!!!!

The Guests:

At the show will be stars from up and coming movie "Blood, Sweat and Wars", former number 1 contender in the world Sean Mannion, Mike Tyson's forming sparring partner "Big" Joe Egan, English actor Danny Dyer, Francie "Southpaw" Barrett, Page 3 girl Claire Tully, top models from One Shot Agency, Douglas Abraham and his professional dancers will be the dancers for the night, among many many more to be confirmed. THESE PERFORMERS ARE ALL PROFESSIONAL.

We do promise that this will be a tournament not to forget and professional entertainment will be sponsored by Galway's One Shot Agency:

Dancers
    Live Music
    Jugglers
    Tote Betting
    Boxing Machine Fun
    Models
    Stand Up Comedians will perform at the half rime show on each day

Any questions do not hesitate to contact:

Alan Conway 085-1612139 (MMA)
    Stephen Kenny 085-1649524 (Entertainment) One Shot Agency / One Shot Productions Ltd
    Mark Dooley 087-2771115
    Eanna O' Dowd 087-7575395
    Ollie Keogh 086-8457349
    Dennis Dalton

PLEASE NO TIME WASTERS! Thanks,

It will be up on its website in next few weeks so keep ye posted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Some details please.

Who are you?
    What have you done before?
    Who will be officiating? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Showdown 2009

How are yea - do you have email and we can email you on info pack? Or just email us on TheShowdownEvent2009@Gmail.com so we can reply. Tnks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

As I have already posted on your Bebo page, I have serious safety concerns about this event that I would need answered before releasing my fighters for your show.
    I am re-printing them here for clarity and because I am sure other posters have the same concerns.
    I run an existing MMA promotion in Galway (www.TribalWarfare.ie) and I have a couple questions about your MMA event.

Who is refereeing the MMA matches?
    What MMA rulesets will the contests be fought under, your rules listed to the left look like a lift from Wikipedia, so I am interested to learn how you will match make?
    Are you connected to an existing MMA Gym? If so, whom.
    Do you expect MMA fighters to fight more than once on the same day?
    If you are using a pro rule set is this realistic?

Unless all of these fighter safety concerns are addressed I wouldn't be able to release fighters form my gym, furthermore, any bookings for my fighters (and this is the case in most gyms) must be through me, a Bebo page is hardly sufficient for a manager to books his fighters.

Please contact me via email info [at] pointblankgym [dot] com or call me on 087 2037 926

I received a text saying someone would contact me but that was nearly a month ago and I have yet to receive a call.
    If you can ease my safety concerns then I will wish you the best of luck, but as I know your experience lies with boxing promotion, and things like matchmaking and rule-sets are not as straightforward in MMA I want to be sure you understand the implications.

Hi Mark,

We tried to ring you last week - I am a film producer who will organize the entertainment etc and would only know a certain amount about the rules / safety etc but the MMA fighters that are also organizing it would be able to answer them no problem - Alan's number is at top of thread 085-1612139 or will get him or Dennis Dalton to ring you this week - officials will be at it etc but alan could answer your queries and I will phone him to give you a shout now. Hope Tribal Warfare was very successful.

Regards,

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Send me the info pack please baz.oglesby[at]gmail.com I'd have the same revervations as Mark mind you.

• Advertisement

Hi Roper,

Will email you now.

Kind Regards,

If you wish to ring alan he'd be able to answer the safety rules etc. His mobile at top of page.

Stephen

Just off the phone with Alan, he couldn't talk as he was heading to work so he is sending me an info pack as well. I will have a look through it and get back to you.

To be clear I am not in the least concerned with another MMA promotion setting up in Galway, I wish you the very best of luck.
    BUT
    If some serious injury happens on your event I will be tarred with the same brush and it will make all combat athletic promoters lives more difficult. This is why I am being such a stickler on the safety concerns.

Hi Mark,

No problem at all!!! you are dead right - I met the lads Paul Hickey in Skeff Sat night and said was very good (Tribal Warfare 4) and will check up website to see the fights - I met you in The Cellar with Rory before the Xmas - he worked with my mum Ann in Eye - they are good friends. Will leave alan answer them neway cause I wouldn't be up to scratch at all as much as ye. Talk soon,

Stephen

I had a look at the information pack briefly there, a couple of things
    • Fighters at A and B class get paid, they don't pay the tournament organiser
    • I asked about the rule set you are using - the rule sets in your info pack are lifted verbatim from TribalWarfare.ie including this section in the Scoring section
    The ten-point must system is in effect for all Tribal Warfare fights; three judges score each round and the winner of each receives ten points, the loser nine points or fewer. If the round is even, both fighters receive ten points.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I had a look at the information pack briefly there, a couple of things
    • Fighters at A and B class get paid, they don't pay the tournament organiser
    • I asked about the rule set you are using - the rule sets in your info pack are lifted verbatim from TribalWarfare.ie including this section in the Scoring section
    :)

you must be flattered!

are they suggesting that the pro fighters should pay to be on the bill??

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

think it means A and B fighters don't have to pay but maybe other classes do?

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

Yeah you could be right, so the amateur fights would be charged just like at the amateur leagues, i dont mind that as long as there not making money off ticket sales aswell, as the C class fighters will be bringing spectators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

None of our fighters will be taking part in this "event".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

The ten-point must system is in effect for all Tribal Warfare fights; three judges score each round and the winner of each receives ten points, the loser nine points or fewer. If the round is even, both fighters receive ten points.
    Not a great sign really if you didn’t even bother reading the material you plagiarised.

PADRAIC.M wrote: »

Nope it seems to suggest a €20 entrance fee for everyone. I wouldn't let my amateur fighters pay to fight if tickets were being sold. Amateurs should be fighting for free, but not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

(1)THE SHADOW is Day one, Irelands top Mixed Martial Artists

(2)FIGHTERS DO NOT HAVE TO BE PART OF A CLUB!!!!

(3)

Dancers
    Live Music
    Jugglers
    Tote Betting
    Boxing Machine Fun
    Models
    Stand Up Comedians will perform at the half rime show on each day

(1) how do you know this is you havent got a card yet?

(2) why? youre willing to let people into a ring or cage that are not training to fight in one?

(3) sounds like galways answer to toys for big boys, not an mma show.

I wouldnt pay in to see that, although..... Danny Dyer??..... I could be swayed:rolleyes:

LOL@Danny Dyer being there. "This is Ahland's ARDEST festival! The local firm will come dahn you manah and beat you dahn! Thank you Galway, my cheque please"

"Fighters do not have to be in club"??

Does it say not being trained? No guys you could have left your club.

Danny Dyer? Good friend of mine and will be an attraction for Galway people as he will be making a cameo in a film I am producing being made in Galway which stars Francie Barrett and who are the team behind Showdown.

Not pay into a show like this? ah okay. Am sure many others will

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MichaelDevlin

SHOWDOWN 2009
    MIXED MARTIAL ARTS EVENT
    & CELEBRITY ROYAL RUMBLE

PROVISIONAL
    INFORMATION PACK

Event Details

Date: June 13 & 14 2009
    Time: Doors Open 12pm Both Days
    Venue: Leisureland, Galway

Venue Details

Address: Leisureland, Salthill, Galway
    Phone: +353 91 521455
    Facilities: Restaurant, Shop, Changing facilities & Showers

Ticketing Information

Two Day Ticket €55.00
    Ringside Seated Two Day Ticket €80.00
    Family 2 Day Ticket (2 adults, 2 Children under 15) €100.00
    VIP Ticket: 2 Days of Access to VIP Balcony Area & Ringside €120.00

Tickets available at Zhivago Shop St. Galway
    Or by contacting theshowdownevent2009@gmail.com 085 1612139
    Early Booking Advised

Entertainment Information

Music by iRadio DJ (TBC) & Galway Street Drummers
    Tote Betting: Bet on the fights
    Special Guest Appearances
    Retail Market: Equipment, T-shirts, etc.
    Fully Licensed Bar
    Celebrity Royal Rumble: info below
    After Party: Meet the Fighters, Umpires & Celebrities @ Busker Brownes, Cross St. Galway
    14th June 8pm. Bar Till Late. Ticket stubs entitle entry

Celebrity Royal Rumble

Watch up to 20 local celebrities battle it out with oversized boxing gloves to win a prize of €1000 for a charity of their choice.

Competitor Information

Entry Fee: €20
    Closing Date for Entries: June 5th 2009

Competitors must be over the age of 18
    Standard MMA attire acceptable
    Tournament Ring: Cage
    Competitors may bring their own choice of entrance music on CD
    Please do not send cash in post
    Completed forms & cheques/bankers drafts to be sent to:

One Shot Promotions LTD
    Corbally, Cummer,
    Co. Galway

Prizes:

Day One ‘Shadow’ Runner Up €500
    Winner €1000
    Day Two ‘Storm’ Runner Up €500
    Winner €1000

Overall Showdown Winner Showdown Champions Belt & 09 Title
    Other Category Winners Medals
    Celebrity Royal Rumble Prize €1000 for chosen charity

Rules based on points system, Highest points scorer on each day determined the winner.
    Overall winner determined by overall highest points scorer.

Tournament Rules

1. Classes
    There are four classes alowed at Showdown. Beginning fighters should start at D class working up through C and B with experience to the top level of A class There are many difference between the different classes and these are discussed below. Where it is not specified rules apply to all classes

2. Illegal Techniques
    * Butting with the head.
    * Eye gouging of any kind.
    * Biting.
    * Hair pulling.
    * Fish hooking.
    Groin attacks of any kind.
    Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on a
    opponent.
    * Small joint manipulation.
    * Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    * Striking downward using the point of the elbow. Directionally from 12 to 6 using clockface notation
    * Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    * Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    * Grabbing the clavicle
    * Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    * Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    * Stomping a grounded opponent.
    * Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    * Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    * Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    * Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    * Spitting at an opponent.
    * Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    * Holding the ropes or the fence.
    * Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    * Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    * Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    * Attacking an opponent after the bell (horn) has sounded the end of a round.
    * Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    * Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    * Interference by the corner.

3. Ways to Win: You can win a match by:
    * Forcing your opponent to submit (to tap-out), or to quit.
    * The referee stopping the match or disqualifying your opponent.
    * By knock-out or technical knock out.
    * Judge's Decision

4. Weight Categories
    * Bantamweight: Up to 135 lb (Up to 61 kg)
    * Featherweight: 135 to 145 lb (61 to 66 kg)
    * Lightweight: 145 to 155 lb (66 to 70 kg)
    * Light Welterweight:155 to 161 lb (70 to 73kg)
    * Welterweight: 162 to 170 lb (73 to 77 kg)
    * Middleweight: 171 to 185 lb (77 to 84 kg)
    * Super Middleweight: 185 to 192 lb (84 to 87 kg)
    * Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lb (87 to 93 kg)
    * Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lb (93 to 120 kg)

5. Scoring

6. Allowed Targets
    Defending Fighter Position Punch Kick Knee Elbow
    Standing Head A,B,C,D A,B,C A,B,C A
    Body A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A
    Legs A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A,B,C,D
    Grounded Head A,B - - A
    Body A,B,C,D A*,B* A,B,C,D A
    Legs A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A,B,C,D A,B,C,D
    *With attacking fighter standing, kicks in a crescent motion only e.g. Axe kick. Stomps are not allowed

7. Round Times
    A Class - 3 five minute rounds
    B Class - 3 four minute rounds
    C Class - 3 three minute rounds
    D Class - 2 three minute rounds

8. Gloves
    A, B and C class all wear the usual 4oz MMA gloves. D Class uses the larger MMA gloves 6-8 oz. Gloves and hand wrapping must be checked by an official prior to entering the cage

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MichaelDevlin

Dont know why this couldnt have been put up at the start

• Advertisement

very true :( our bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Roper wrote: »
    Nope it seems to suggest a 20 entrance fee for everyone. I wouldn't let my amateur fighters pay to fight if tickets were being sold. Amateurs should be fighting for free, but not paying.

Ouch, pay to fight, sounds counter-productive to me, maybe if the show had some experienced/respected known people from the irish mma scene behind it, it might get a better response here imo.

We are getting brilliant responses and we are only charging since our prizes are over 5,000E worth in cash and a belt worth 1,700E. Many tournaments charge an entry fee for its players. Some do not but we have very good prizes and VERY professional entertainment to go with the show. I do not think that 20E is alot by any means to enter a tournament if they have a love for the sport. We have had 90% good responses and have alot of entires and from celebrities so font mid me saying WE AINT DOING SO BAD :) If I had a passion for a sport / hobbie etc I would not be thinking bout the small fee but the day that would be in it. Not only will be a great tournament but a brilliant family day out that will also see three charities there collecting for a good causes while watching some fantastic fighting, dancing ,singing, acting..But that is just my opinion and each to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Watch up to 20 local celebrities battle it out with oversized boxing gloves to win a prize of €1000 for a charity of their choice.

This is the most bizarre event I've ever heard of. I think the organisers are confusing professional MMA with semi-contact kickboxing tournaments. As I see it right now, the only people supporting this promotion must be people that don't know/care what MMA is.

I'm going to stay far away on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

From what I can gather from this thread is that you are looking to organise an entertainment event which includes MMA fights. But from where im standing it looks that this promotion has no experience in holding MMA fights and the Irish MMA clubs/promoters have never heard of you before which means they are not going to send any of their fighters to compete in this competition. Do you blame them?
    Your unknown, what health and safety procedures are in place, who will ref and judge the fights, what insurance do you have, amateur fighters have to pay to compete. A statement like this 'fighters do not have to be part of a club' allows for any random person who sees himself as a 'fighter' to state that they have trained in club x for x amount of time and they will be able to compete.

Im not involved with Irish MMA but I do attend the local shows and I cant blame the coaches for not recognising this event and they probably wont even mention this to their fighters. My two cents anyway.

I'm actually running an event the same day! fighters wont have to pay to fight as there will be ticket sales, now if the event was non ticket sales then i could understand the money has to come from somewhere. ............. I've already got a doctor, insurance,premises and most the fights are confirmed, still some to go. It will be semi pro mainly with a couple of pro to finish the night off. Next step is getting my refs sorted, any questions just pm me! Ps. Back on topic, I would not let my fighters fight on a show that was been run by non mma people, this has trouble written all over it, the promoter does not have to be a fighter but you expect them to be affiliated to a club or something. i'm writing off phone so excuse the lack of paragraphs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

What legal requirements are there, if any, to be allowed to hold an event that has tote betting?

AFAIK, the UFC in the O2 was the only mma event in Ireland that had betting on it.

I am not saying that athlethes paying €20 to compete, would be inclined to lose intentionally to collect on bets that they had made on the other fighter............actually, thats kinda what I am saying.

Also, the not being part of a club thing is a huge mistake imo, and says alot about how this show is being run. I dont know any active fighters who are not affiliated with any club. MMA is a very high skill level sport, having "hard men" with no training compete is downright dangerous.

Also, I may have missed it but have the judges and referees being named yet?

I'll be at cowzer's show. So should YOU!

Judges and Officials will and confirmed at a meeting on April 7th so will put it up on the Thread.

Also, we are hosting Francie Barrett's NO MERCY in Galway on April 18th.

Professional boxing with Coley Barrett as the main bill.

Danny Reynolds (English Champ) also on the card.

Doors open 6:30pm.

In association with myself, Francie and well known English boxing promoter Keith Walker. Tickets in Zhivago, Shop Street, Galway.

Be one hell of a night. Keep an eye out on Francie's interview with Tom Humphries on the Irish times about it.

• Advertisement

Who of significance to the mma community will be at the meeting? Also who in the mma community is part of the whole venture?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement