Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connection to router after having a desktop.

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just bought a laptop and obviously want to connect it wirelessley to my silver Eircom Netopia router. The router is connected to a non wireless desktop at the moment using the yellow cable.

To install the broadband and wireless settings on the laptop, do I need to run the installation cd that I got with the broadband originally and follow the instructions again or do I just connect the yellow ethernet cable directly to the laptop and configure the wireless settings that way? I know i will have to change the settings from WEP to WPA anyway to make it more secure.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, I am a bit of a technofobe with computers and just want to be sure before I start anything. redface.gif

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Simplest way is to use the ethernet cable. http://192.168.1.254 is the address for the router - you will find the settings on the left hand side of the admin screen. I think you have to click on advanced to get at the wireless settings -as you rightly say change the security settings to wpa also might worth changing the wireless channel to 1 as there are so many other wireless networks around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

dub45 wrote: »
    Simplest way is to use the ethernet cable. http://192.168.1.254 is the address for the router - you will find the settings on the left hand side of the admin screen. I think you have to click on advanced to get at the wireless settings -as you rightly say change the security settings to wpa also might worth changing the wireless channel to 1 as there are so many other wireless networks around these days.

I will try it that way, thanks.

Advertisement