Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doggy backpacks - opinions?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting a backpack for the dog to carry stuff on his walk cos he does like to have little jobs to do (and to pop the lead in when he gets to run free lol).

Has anyone found them to be any good? or is it wasted money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

haven't used them but think they are a good idea for dogs who need to burn off a bit more energy or like to have jobs to do. what kinda dog? i'm sure some people will think they are silly or cruel or un natural etc but i've no prob with them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Second that. If you have an active dog it gives them twice the walk. Plus they look cute!!:D

They are not cheap though. I checked a few sites and the cheapest is around 30-50 euros plus postage from where ever. I was thinking about making one, but I couldnt embarrase my poor dog likree that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I have also been looking into these, think they're a great idea. I've a cairn x wire fox terrier and the energy he has is ridiculous!! :eek: An hour's walk just doesn't cut it................neither does swimming, hiking, running beside the bike, etc. come to think of it!!! :D
    I've been looking at www.countryhounds.ie and they have Outward Hound backpacks starting at 25 euro (with postage around 5 euro).
    Personally I wouldn't give a toss what anyone thinks. If the dog is happy and comfortable wearing a backpack then all's good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have some for my dogs, and they're great. One of my siberian huskies in particular wears his with great aplomb (he's actually one of the models on the countryhounds website:D) A lot of the dogs that we now have as pets were originally working dogs, so I think getting them to do a little bit of work while they're walking is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

that's great thanks folks.

Think I"ll go ahead and get him one. He's an ageing lab (will be 9 in august) but don't tell him that - he's still convinced he's only about a year old :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're handy. Just make sure to get one that won't slide around to his belly ;)
    Get one of them foldable water bowls and 2 small bags for water and he can carry them.
    That way he gets extra exercise and can drink the water afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's one I saw on my holidays in the UK last year ... certainly made me laugh :D

2wqcvg5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Had one for our Rottweiler as well.
    They're great in the sense that they use up more engergy on walks. Our rottie would have gotten an hours walk, but with the backpack on it was the equivalent to 2 hrs when we had built up the weight.

It gives the dog a sense of purpose also while they're out. Tend to be a bit more focused when they have a "job" than just out for a ramble.

You must be careful though not to load it up straight away. Start with it empty for a week or so and when they no longer seem tired after all their "focusing", then you can add a little weight to each side, increasing it bit by bit.

We got the Palisades one from CountryHounds.ie as mentioned above (the rottie is also part of the logo there, the front page and in the gallery :D ). We found it was built sturdier than the other pack so went for longevity. It also came with a harness so we could lift off the packs when resting if we were on a longer walk. Inside that pack are two water bladders so you can use these to build up the weight eventually or you can use them to refresh the dog :) We found the harness part brilliant on its own - was handy for vet visits etc, for getting the dog up on the table, and it was handy to lift her up rocky climbs.

A6E2BF52BBE643DD809FC5A1D394C360-500.jpg

94257AA4A8634B8EA2DB6DAD5582700D-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 awhyte

If you really want to put your dogs energy to good use why not enter him in the All Breed national weight-pulling competition in Ballygar, Co. Galway on 25th April. It's organised by the Irish Federation of Sleddog sports so it'll be well run. I myself have a Sibe and it's gonna be a good way of showing off his endless energy and strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kanine

Hey there does anyone know of a petshop in dublin that sells dog backpacks?? i've been trying to find one for the last few days but to no avail. I cant order one on-line as I have no credit card.

I'm looking for 2 medium sized ones for my two sibs to try and help burn some more energy for them and slow them down a bit

thanks

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a pet shop in dublin that sell dog backpacks? I cant seem to find them anywhere after a long search. I can find them online but cant buy them as I have no credit card plus i would like to be able to bring them back if they dont fit etc, this is difficult and expensive to do online.

I need to get two for my two sibs to help drain more energy on their walks and give them a little job to do :D

hope they are available :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.countryhounds.ie/

Give her a buzz, I am sure she will sell you one without a creditcard ;).
    I am sure she will be at the Petexpo again at the RDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I have one for my jack russell, he actually seems to really enjoy having a little job to do - he trots a little bit prouder with it on :D He carries his own poo bags, treats and a small water bottle (so its not too heavy for him)

We sell quite a few mostly coming into the summer when people seem to take longer walks/hikes.

I'm sure I have pictures on my other puter of him out wearing it, I'll look tomorrow in work and put them up if I find them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

EGAR wrote: »
    [I am sure she will be at the Petexpo again at the RDS.
    Yep she will be there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Beth, your dog is beautiful!

Molberts, can I ask what kind of backpack you use and where you got it? I have a terrier cross who pulls a lot on his walks. He can get very excitable and energetic when the mood takes him and I don't think it would do him one bit of harm to have a bit of focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

i got one in maxi zoo in naas two weeks ago for 28 quid and it's a perfect start to carrying gear for my akita. Eventually I want to get the fancy one shown above from country hounds cos it looks to b the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I use two i got from Countryhounds. They arent cheap, but they are great as you can unclip the backpack part and use the harness.

The harness is great for hikes, where you want more control over the dog.

Its also handy for clipping Cody to my bike and getting her to tow me along...she's really getting into the whole bike-sled thing :D

Anyways, the backpacks are great for getting the dogs "working" and focussed. I'd recommend them as a great form of exercise and training.

Heres my two:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

aw the akitas are gorgeous with their backpacks:) dunno would it go on my samoyed hes a ball of fluff! good idea for draining their energy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I got mine from petbliss.ie and they take laser. Great site and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

This is the first I've heard of them and having read all your posts on them, they seem very practical and should curb the excess energy of our puppy. Daughter is all for it and is 'awwwwwing' at the photographs here. :)

• Advertisement

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Molberts, can I ask what kind of backpack you use and where you got it? I have a terrier cross who pulls a lot on his walks. He can get very excitable and energetic when the mood takes him and I don't think it would do him one bit of harm to have a bit of focus!

I got him this Urban Adventure Backpack. :)

Little tip - put full poo bags in a separate pocket to your keys - I found this out the hard way! At least the backpack is washable I could hose it down outside :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Molberts wrote: »
    I got him this Urban Adventure Backpack. :)

Little tip - put full poo bags in a separate pocket to your keys - I found this out the hard way! At least the backpack is washable I could hose it down outside :pac:

I never put full poo bags in it, just unused ones:D

Now that its too warm to run the huskies on the scooter or rig, backpacking is a fantastic way to burn off their energy, and keep them fit.

ISDW wrote: »
    I never put full poo bags in it, just unused ones:D

It was a looooong hike and there were no bins - and I needed my hands for more important things like throwing tennis balls :D

Haven't done it since the hosing incident though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Hmm,if i put one of these on my dog he would at stop at nothing to destroy it:pac:

put a lil santy hat on him before and found it in bits an hour later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stepcodd

Here are a few of my dogs dogs on a recent hike we went on in Wicklow.
    We regularly go on these hikes, anybody is welcome.
    2mgsi76.jpg
    zmxz6o.jpg

We do go onless strenuous walks too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

awhyte wrote: »
    If you really want to put your dogs energy to good use why not enter him in the All Breed national weight-pulling competition in Ballygar, Co. Galway on 25th April. It's organised by the Irish Federation of Sleddog sports so it'll be well run. I myself have a Sibe and it's gonna be a good way of showing off his endless energy and strength

i'll be there myself with my staffy! great fun although alot of people tell me they think its cruel but if you see her expression when she pulls she loves it. she cant pull as much as the bigger dogs but while we are waiting for them to finish she goes mad. she just wants to go back and have another pull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i'll be there myself with my staffy! great fun although alot of people tell me they think its cruel but if you see her expression when she pulls she loves it. she cant pull as much as the bigger dogs but while we are waiting for them to finish she goes mad. she just wants to go back and have another pull!

powerhouse.jpg
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/colm/Pictures/roxy/powerhouse.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/colm/Pictures/roxy/powerhouse.jpg[/IMG]

thanks for all your input I managed to track two backpacks down in maxi zoo in tallaght. I picked them up during the week and the dogs have been wearing them empty the last few days to get used to them. they've taken to them realy well and sniff them when they want a walk. just have to start adding some weight little by little now and hopefully it'll have the desired effect.

Thanks again.

Advertisement