Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car electronics

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

I bought a sony radio for my car, fitted it myself but need to get one or two things sorted with it and get my bluetooth kit installed to. Anyone know a place around the city or douglas area thats not to expensive for this kinda stuff?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

What's up with the stereo?
    I've fitted a few before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

If and when I turn off the engine it loses all its settings and presets. I was told by the lads in the sony shop that its just a case of swapping the wires. The other thing I'd like to try to do is track down the connection I need to get it working with the control stick on my steering wheel, seems I need a special connection for that to.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Maybe have a run out to Halfords in Mahon. I got a JVC Stereo(built in bluetooth) from them and the little fella in there told me what I needed and what adaptors were required. It was a doddle after that. Just don't tell them you've already bought the stereo cause they might not be as motivated to help you...

I was half thinking about that. Its a good idea, but it doenst get it fixed. I dont mind paying and stuff, im sure if i asked the lads in the sony shop again they can tell me the part i need, I just need someone to actually fit it or at least configure it. And my bluetooth kit. So I have a fair few jobs to do on it

The power and preset thing is an easy fix, as the lads said it's just swapping two wires to make sure the stereo is connected to the battery.
    The connector is a bit more tricky depending on what you want to do.
    Do you want to use existing wheel controls with the stereo?
    If you post the stereo and car model I'll see what I can come up with.

And lastly what type of bluetooth kit is it?
    Will it be integrated into the stereo?

A lot of stuff that you want to do can be surprisingly simple.

• Advertisement

Ya I know its just swapping two wires but theres only two blocks of cables connected to it.

Its the 00 model of a 206 peugeot. There's a stick control at the wheel just for volume and back and forward. The radio is a CDX-GT31U. Just getting frustarted cause google doesnt seem to be helping me.

Cheers

On the loom of wire coming out of the back of the stereo some wires should have connectors on them which can be opened. and some wires should be connected to nothing.
    Possibly a blue and yellow one.
    You have to disconnect the one with the join and connect the spare one to it.

It's a two second job if you are around city centre let me know I'll show ya.

I'll check out the connector now for ya

Connector - I think...

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/car_stereo_fitting_kits/steering_control_adaptors.htm

Yeah I get what you're saying, dunno if I'm brave enough to go pulling at those wires. Installing it was enough. I know nothing about car electronics so while it sounds like that site is what I need .... I have no idea haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There is normally a red & yellow wire for the power supplies, one is permanent power supply & the other is a "switched" power supply. Can't remember which is which.
    Anyway there is usually a single connector per wire (usually with clear rubbery covers) between the stereo adapter & the car's loom. What you need to do is plug both of these connectors out & plug yellow into red & vice versa.

This is a common occurrence hence stereo manufacturers have this connector set up.
    Found this photo on Google that clearly shows what I am talking about:

red2yellow.jpg

wow cheers, ok just so im not being totally stupid, are ye saying i just swap the red into the yellow and vica versa?, Dont think i saw those connections though. i'll have a look in a few hours when i get home. Thanks guys. OK that might be the power sorted. Suggestions for going somewhere for the steering wheel support and bluetooth installed. The bluetooth kit will be coming through the stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes, yellow in to red, red into yellow, simple swap. These should be here unless someone butchered your stereo wiring loom.

There is a guy on St Patrick's Quay that fits stereos & alarms & I ahve always found him pleasant to deal with. Opposite (over the river from) the Merchants Quay.

Think I know the guy, will give him a shout when im off next week, cheers for the help guys, much appreciated.

edit: just did that with the wires. Working perfectly and holding the presets. Thanks for that guys.

Now all I gotta do is sort the steering wheel and bluetooth. Thanks again

Advertisement