Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carrickmines

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, i'm moving into an apt with my boyfriend in carrick mines in a few weeks we just got a penthouse there last week. i don't know the area at all really. can anyone tell me what is about there (we right across from the retail park) is it any good? how long does it take to get to the airport? is there any local pubs about the place?? etc etc....

many thanks from your new neighbour:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

U picked a good spot. With the retail park and the upcoming luas line, you should have no trouble getting into town ect. As for pubs, the horse and hound in cabinteely village isnt bad. Cant really think of any other pubs around there.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's a bit out of the way there for walking to anywhere, you could walk up to the far end of glenamuck road to palmers (goldenball)I guess or go in the back way to pubs in racecourse.. Otherwise a taxi, down to stepaside or up into cabinteely.

Airport on M50 isn't too bad, decent dunnes on ballyogan road and in sandyford industrial estate. Tesco and M&S at Dundrum. Nice and quiet though and very handy for hillwalking/mountain biking/cycling etc if you are interested, easy access to wicklow,enniskerry and the mountains etc.

Until the Luas actually opens getting in and out of town for nights out isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

any idea when the luas line will be up and running?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They've been building it for 2 years so far and have a pretty much all of the road movement work done, they are starting on the track laying soon but apparently it isn't planned to open until sometime next year. That seems a bit far off, but they have probably been pessimistic with the dates to be sure they can hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Its nice area, the retail park is very good up there. New section has gone in there across from TK Max, a carphone warehouse, theres a BB's going in next door, a rumour of a Bagel bar. It will be a lounge area indoors. Which is nice as the only place you can sit and rest at the moment is Costa and they Costa fortune.
    As far as I know those apts, about half of them are empty and a lot of work still has to be done which the property developers are refusing to pay out to finish until more people buy. Not fair on those currently living there.

Good luck with the move, its always exciting moving to a new place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I hope you both have cars :)

Personally I think the way Carrickmines Manor is marketed is a complete and utter scam, and have written to Daft about it. After speaking to one of the people laying the luas line there, it won't be ready until at least the end of March 2010. The manor is largely desolate and the developers have dropped the prices from over 600k per 2 bed apartment to now selling at 225k for a relatively spacious one.

The retail park is alright, however the companies there aren't doing well and the management are having a hard time getting any more investment. One or two of the larger companies are rumoured to be pulling out and are expected to be gone by the end of May and if they go, I really can't see the place surviving.

If you've a car, the airport should only take 35 minutes or so providing you ignore the 60kpmh speed limits which pollute the "motorway" and the main traffic times.

It is relatively close to Stepaside, which has the Step Inn which does good food and is a nice pub but again, you'd want to have a car to get up there and back or expect to pay for a taxi as it's not really a fun walk.

As Blue_Wolf pointed out, the developers aren't paying to finish the work up there yet,so expect there to be a lot of building works going on in the near future.

They're nice apartments, in fairness to them, but personally I wouldn't even think of living there for the time being.

Sorry to be so frank, if you're renting I'd seriously look at other areas. If you're buying, well, think of it as an investment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Rb wrote: »
    I hope you both have cars :)

Personally I think the way Carrickmines Manor is marketed is a complete and utter scam, and have written to Daft about it. After speaking to one of the people laying the luas line there, it won't be ready until at least the end of March 2010. The manor is largely desolate and the developers have dropped the prices from over 600k per 2 bed apartment to now selling at 225k for a relatively spacious one.

The retail park is alright, however the companies there aren't doing well and the management are having a hard time getting any more investment. One or two of the larger companies are rumoured to be pulling out and are expected to be gone by the end of May and if they go, I really can't see the place surviving.

If you've a car, the airport should only take 35 minutes or so providing you ignore the 60kpmh speed limits which pollute the "motorway" and the main traffic times.

It is relatively close to Stepaside, which has the Step Inn which does good food and is a nice pub but again, you'd want to have a car to get up there and back or expect to pay for a taxi as it's not really a fun walk.

As Blue_Wolf pointed out, the developers aren't paying to finish the work up there yet,so expect there to be a lot of building works going on in the near future.

They're nice apartments, in fairness to them, but personally I wouldn't even think of living there for the time being.

Sorry to be so frank, if you're renting I'd seriously look at other areas. If you're buying, well, think of it as an investment :)

thanks a mil for the advice. i have a car and my OH has a motor bike. so getting places isn't an issue. we are just renting and if things don't improve it will def not be there longer than 12 months. rent is steep enough as it is. they did say they had to put down the prices all right. i'm sure we will survive. good to know the distance to the motorway. i def do not keep within the 60 kmh hehe. that's just a joke. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

mollybird wrote: »
    thanks a mil for the advice. i have a car and my OH has a motor bike. so getting places isn't an issue. we are just renting and if things don't improve it will def not be there longer than 12 months. rent is steep enough as it is. they did say they had to put down the prices all right. i'm sure we will survive. good to know the distance to the motorway. i def do not keep within the 60 kmh hehe. that's just a joke. :P
    Are you going to be locked into a 12 month lease?

The rental prices are quite steep, especially considering how little they're selling for at the moment. As far as I'm aware, the only money the developers are making currently is from rentals, so don't be afraid to haggle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EdwardWalsh

Is there any chance any current residents are on here? The management company are set to introduce crazy parking restrictions that need to be stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You would be better off starting a new thread on this as your post might get lost in this one.

Mods, could you help the lad out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

I'm about to move into Carrickmines Manor next month with the girlfriend and we have 2 cars. Don't like the sound of parking restrictions!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

Hi

I'm thinking of renting in Carrickmines Manor.

Is everything ok there?

What's the issue regarding parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hudson123

Before you move into this estate you should be aware of the following;
    1. Security is poor – there have been a high number of break-in’s in the estate over the last few months (September – November 2012). The Management Company are ‘attempting’ to take actions to improve the security however the break-in’s continue. Make sure you have an alarm in your apartment for what that may be worth!
    2. Difficult to heat - The apartments are poorly insulated and as a result do not retain heat! The storage heaters in the apartment can only do so much! Hopefully the temperatures won’t hit below freezing again this year otherwise you may want to invest in some more blankets!
    3. Largely vacant estate (apartments) – As many of the apartments are still up for sale and are currently vacant, meaning that there isn’t too many people residing in the apartment blocks. Some might see this as a blessing however I felt that this was more of a security issue (point 1 above).
    4. Parking – Wasn’t so much an issue as there are visitors spot around and as noted above ,there are lots of vacant spaces.

We moved into the estate a number of months ago and have since decided to move out again given some of the reason above (and others that I won't go into).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

Thanks. That's pretty scary.

Would love to know the other reasons you won't go in to !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I live in the green and love it. Nice neighbours, apartment easy to heat, haven't heard of any break ins either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lechiennoir

There's an awful lot of break ins and car robberies there, as the area is very very isolated.

How am I missing all these break ins? I have a friend in the manor and she hasn't heard anything either...

The Green has security cameras, at least they do around my block. One pointing at the apartment entrance and one at the car park.

The back of the apartments are pretty dodgy to be fair, the apartments are in an L shape with a communal green in the middle. At night time its pitch black and anybody can access it and see into the back of your apartment. Most of them are town houses though, with My block in the very corner. THey could do with some cameras out there I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hudson123

Has your friend not even noticed all the new security signs on the entrance doors that have gone up over the last few months? One of the victims of a robbery even called the Joe Duffy show to see if he could get some of his belongings back.

I won't even comment on the 'security cameras' in the Manor!

Hudson123 wrote: »
    Has your friend not even noticed all the new security signs on the entrance doors that have gone up over the last few months? One of the victims of a robbery even called the Joe Duffy show to see if he could get some of his belongings back.

I won't even comment on the 'security cameras' in the Manor!

Have they only gone up recently??

Is there no cameras in the manor? I can't understand why we have them and they don't, probably why they are getting broken into and not us. Would have been nice of them to throw up a sign in the green, I must say it to the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

There was a Lara security van fixing/replacing cameras in the estate last week. The back of the apartments isnt great but overall its a nice place. Security could be better but it's not an ideal society so be vigilent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 otooleca

Hi there - I am about to buy a top floor apartment in Carrickmines Manor and have just found out that the apts are very expensive to heat? Like horrendously so.. Anyone have any experience with this? I have been told the storage heaters are largely ineffective, apts poorly insulated etc

From your potential new neighbour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What BER does it have? This should give you an idea

Im in a penthouse in the green, my ceilings are really high so I thought it would be hard to heat. I dont find that to be the case, I havent used my heating since January and I wont need it again until October. Days like today have the apartment like a sauna because Ive so many windows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 otooleca

Thanks Ihatecuddles! I really hope my block is the same, expressed concerns to auctioneer, she couldn't answer but suggested contacting electric ireland for an average bill for carrickmines manor that compares summer & winter?! I haven't tried this yet..

Have you heard of many break-ins in the complex too? Can see quite a bit written about this also..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ontoit

I viewed the apts in Carrickmines manor and was not impressed with the storage heaters. I have storage heating where i live and the system there looks awful. Also a question for a friend who is thinking of renting there as they work in the park and it would be handy. Can you keep a dog in the apartments?

I haven't heard of any break ins, not in the green anyway. NOt sure about the manor.

I know a few people have dogs in the building opposite me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ontoit

Break ins happen everywhere. If you leave things on open view in your car or leave doors/windows open thieves will always make the most of the opportunity. I was thinking of buying there but not sure if they are good value now with the 2 beds starting at 180k....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Expatsindublin

I know it's an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Carrickmines Green area. Issues with parking garage or safety? We are considering buying in the new buildings there and just hoping things have improved since this was written!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

I know it's an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Carrickmines Green area. Issues with parking garage or safety? We are considering buying in the new buildings there and just hoping things have improved since this was written!

Hi. Did you end up buying in the area? I'm thinking of the same but doubting about security...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mohamed Hamdoun

otooleca wrote: »
    Thanks Ihatecuddles! I really hope my block is the same, expressed concerns to auctioneer, she couldn't answer but suggested contacting electric ireland for an average bill for carrickmines manor that compares summer & winter?! I haven't tried this yet..

Have you heard of many break-ins in the complex too? Can see quite a bit written about this also..

Hi,

Have you get a reply about electric heating consumption in the compound?

Advertisement