Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which flashgun?

• 30-03-2009 8:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Nikon SB-600 or SB-800, which one? I'm leaning toward the 800 but is it worth the extra expense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

It depends on the intended use really. If the flash will live on your cameras hotshoe and be your only flash, the SB-600 would be the trick just nicely. The Sb-400 may even do the job for you here.

For me, the sb800's extra features start to come into play when considering off camera flash and Nikons cls system. If you think "strobbist" type activity is a direction you'll be heading in, maybe going the whole hog and getting the SB-900 would be best.

It would also depend on whether your camera's pop up can be used as a commander unit.

In any case, tot state the obvious, the sb-800 is worth the extra IF you need the power + features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

if you are thinking of the 800 why not get the 900 which has replaced it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Barname wrote: »

Because it's ridiculously expensive! I've seen the 800 2nd hand for €200, so I'm going to have a look at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Barname wrote: »

apart from higher guide number theres nothing really improved on it overly...

If you spend time with the sb-800 then go to an sb-900 you'll think differently.

The 900 is a much better piece of equipment IMO.

If you're only guide to how good a flashgun is is by how much light it can throw, then get an sb 600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

After all that, the SB 800 had been sold so it's back to the drawing board... :rolleyes::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

oh there is. quite a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why not just get an old SB-28... there's nowt wrong with them! I only picked one up a few weeks ago. Still in perfect condition, and has PC adapters built in...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

guide number.. coverage and tiltability and emm detecting fx/dx... for someone whos tossing up between a 600 and 800, i cant see how these would come into play

guide number.. coverage and tiltability and emm detecting fx/dx... for someone whos tossing up between a 600 and 800, i cant see how these would come into play

600-800 euro. :rolleyes:

It's less than 400 euro now from the UK including shipping. Still not cheap though.

here are some other things it can do on top of what you mentioned.
    1. zoom range of 17 to 200MM
    2. switch between regular/commander/slave modes without having to muck about in the menu
    3. faster recycling speed
    4. larger flash head
    5. adjustable light spreads
    6. better focus assist
    7. Gel holder with smart white balance

All these things ad up to a better piece of kit. If you're working and you need one or two of those features, then the price difference is not an issue.

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    1. zoom range of 17 to 200MM

2. larger flash head
    3. adjustable light spreads

i stated all that :D

I don't believe you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

eas wrote: »
    I don't believe you did.

I believe you need to chill brah.

Advertisement