Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best part of this planet where homo sapiens migrated to or stayed?

• 30-03-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Forget imaginary political borders and the result of modern day economics. Think back 12,000 years ago when modern humans had pretty much colonised most of this planet, and had started to settle and cultivate the land.

Where do you think offered the most pleasant climate for life and agriculture? Where would have supplied the most diverse forms of fauna, flora and soil for food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Probably the European continent as it had most of humanity's achievements such as scientific, artistic, architectural & political, etc. Then all those people went to every other continent by handmade boats with their superior weapons (of steel) and conquered and colonized those areas. So by that rationale it's difficult not to agree that the European continent offered everything needed for humans to survive and evolve such as the domestication of crops and animals. Europe also had the best and most balanced climate which allowed all of these important things to take place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The sahara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Passenger wrote: »
    Probably the European continent as it had most of humanity's achievements such as scientific, artistic, architectural & political, etc. Then all those people went to every other continent by handmade boats with their superior weapons (of steel) and conquered and colonized those areas. So by that rationale it's difficult not to agree that the European continent offered everything needed for humans to survive and evolve such as the domestication of crops and animals. Europe also had the best and most balanced climate which allowed all of these important things to take place.

While I agree that Southern Europe had the right conditions and resources for that period and I value your point, but my question is more related to just that timeframe when humans began to settle and less with the future that lay for their descendants.

The now islands of Japan offered more than northern Siberia, and the crowd who stopped at Alaska would have been very sorry if they knew about the animals and land that existed further south.

By the way, can anyone recommend an interesting book on human migration?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that our distant ancestors didn't use boats. So they could only get to places that were joined by land or with very short gaps when sea levels where lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

nitrogen wrote: »

Guns, Germs & Steel - Jared Diamond, it's pretty much a brief history of the last 13,000 years and discusses how humans migrated from Africa to Europe, Asia, The Americas, Australia, Papa New Guinea, etc.

I created a thread about it in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would think Europe or Asia. Very varied land with loads of food and good climate. But really the human is so adaptable we can make any place work in our favor. As long as there's a food source we will find a way to the top of the ladder. We're perfectly suited for every environment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Passenger wrote: »

Much of those achievments in fact originated in the Middle and Far East, and were later imported (with even greater success) into Europe, where as you say the climate was even more suitable and more robust.
    nitrogen wrote: »
    While I agree that Southern Europe had the right conditions and resources for that period and I value your point, but my question is more related to just that timeframe when humans began to settle and less with the future that lay for their descendants.

The now islands of Japan offered more than northern Siberia, and the crowd who stopped at Alaska would have been very sorry if they knew about the animals and land that existed further south.

Early Human settlers tended to be very conservative about moving, for the most part I early migration would be initiated by a desperate need to survive when the conditions at your present location becomes untenable.

For hunter gatherers if you can survive where you are perfectly adequately the risks of moving in the hope of finding somewhere better is not an affordable luxury.

Out of Eden for a purely migratory history of modern humans. As mentioned by others Guns Germs and Steel is an excellent read (Which begins at roughly the same time period that Out of Eden finishes the bulk of its story - The last ice age). So they make good companion pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Until I pick up the book somewhere, Guns Germs and Steel, the documentary is on youtube. Thanks again for the recommendation. This is exactly the stuff that I've been pondering a lot over lately.

Advertisement