Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best savings options

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, I am just looking for some advice.. I am going to start saving for the first time, i am with aib (I would be open to moving about), there are so many different kinds of accounts. Does anyone have specific recommendations on the best option at the moment? thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If it is the best interest rates you are looking for then Money Guide Ireland has up to date lists of those. If you haven't got a lump sum - you are probably best going for a regular saver account .

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well there's a couple of things you need to look at when deciding a savings account - do you want to do regular savings, or do you have a lump sum to put away? Do you need access to it or would you be comfortable putting it away over a period of a few months or a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenni-fur

I'm in a similar situation. I have been looking at some of the AIB options as I already have an account with them. Unfortunately I want everything, i want to be able to withdraw money at short notice, deposit as little or as much as I want per month, up to €1000 and get a decent interest rate.

I was looking at the anglo irish bank regular savings account which has an interest rate of 7.3, which is great but you know they are a little doddgy so I'm not sure what to do. Do i really want to save my pennies with a company who's policies leave a lot to be desired?

Any thoughs on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Go with Anglo if it's the interest rate you want. TBH it's not sustainable in the long term as for every deposit a loss is being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenni-fur

Yeah, Anglo are only offering a one year term but I figure it could be a good place to start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement