Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Tuam to Galway

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

We shall be moving to Tuam in the next few weeks. We both work in Galway (one in Oranmore and one in Dangan) and will be travelling together. Just wondering would anyone have any idea what this commute is like in the mornings and evenings? Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fine until you hit Claregalway which is a terrible bottleneck. Not sure about commute time though.

Will you be driving from Tuam to Oranmore and then Dangan?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I would guess at least one hour to get from Tuam to Galway and maybe more at peak commute times. I think it has eased off with economic slow down.
    However, what will the actual run be - travelling together to Oranmore and Dangan adds a good bit to the journey. That could be one and half to two hours. Tuam to Dangan to Oranmore would be marginally better than Tuam to Oranmore to Dangan but its still a slow journey.
    Burkes do a bus from Tuam to Galway and that may be a better option for Dangan. Then Tuam to Oranmore via Claregalway or Cregmore etc would be better. Have a look at http://www.burkesbus.com/times.php.
    Sorry, I can't be more helpful. I don't do the run myself but family members do so I have only second hand knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AnnieSheri

We shall be going to Dangan first and then onto Oranmore. I know it is going to be very messy, so just was looking for a rough idea of what to expect!!!!!!

Thanks for this info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

AnnieSheri wrote: »
    We shall be going to Dangan first and then onto Oranmore. I know it is going to be very messy, so just was looking for a rough idea of what to expect!!!!!!

Thats a long journey that I would not be able for. Would it be a case of Oranmore ->Dangan ->Tuam in the evening?

I'd get the bus if I could or Car Pool.

I thought about buying a house between Claregalway and Tuam so I went out a few mornings and tried what would be my daily commute. I'm glad I did because I would not have hacked it everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I commute Tuam-Dangan every day and its so bad I bought a motorbike. If you have to go to Dangan first and then Oranmore it will take well over an hour every day unless you get very creative, the return journey will exceed two hours at some stage in Winter due to the bottlenecks across town, the Quincentennial bridge, Headford Road and Claregalway.

Is there a bus that runs from Oranmore to Dangan that could eliminate that leg of the journey?

When I used a car, I left Tuam and crossed through Corrandulla to the Headford road and then crossed through Menlo to get up the Dyke road and over the Quincentennial. It varied from 35-65 mins but averaged 40 mins most days since traffic wasn't stop/start.

I don't envy you...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Inward journey depends on how early you leave Tuam. If after 720, then above is correct. I used to leave at 700-710 and took half hour to get to first roundabout on outskirts of city on Tuam Rd. The longer you leave it the worse the traffic gets. Would definitely advise driving to Oranmore first and then on to Dangan if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My Dad leaves Tuam at around 7.10 too. Seems a good time for him as he starts work at 8 and doesn't like to be late.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I shall be facing what seems like hell, certainly until I get used to this commute. I would have thought that Tuam would be more accessible via public transport. It badly is in need of the reintroduction of the railway line, wouldn't that make life much more easy for us Tuam commuters. Wishful thinking me thinks!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

hi there
    we have lived in tuam for the past yr and my husband commutes daily to galway, a really easy way is to go right down the athenry rd turn right:) at end of it towards lackagh and then straight on until u get past flynns and reach crossrds , take left towards cregmore and follow this somewhat small rd full of bends until u reach another crossrds with a school on the left, turn right here and then go straight on until u meet main rd at end and take left turn which is into carnmore and straight ahead until oranmore
    sounds complicated but its not at all, its the backrds so u totally avoid traffic jams, takes about half hour and is much more pleasurable drive than n17
    hope this helps
    liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

liz2000 wrote: »
    hi there
    we have lived in tuam for the past yr and my husband commutes daily to galway, a really easy way is to go right down the athenry rd turn right:) at end of it towards lackagh and then straight on until u get past flynns and reach crossrds , take left towards cregmore and follow this somewhat small rd full of bends until u reach another crossrds with a school on the left, turn right here and then go straight on until u meet main rd at end and take left turn which is into carnmore and straight ahead until oranmore
    sounds complicated but its not at all, its the backrds so u totally avoid traffic jams, takes about half hour and is much more pleasurable drive than n17
    hope this helps
    liz

My dad did it that way for a while too only that every second person has become wide to it. He prefers to go out by Belclare and through Clonboo or sometimes through Currandrum so you come out at the Clonboo Crossroads.
    But I believe the OP wants to head through Headford so I don't think either of these is of any use! (Correct me if I'm wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Depends a lot on hte time you will be leaving Tuam at. I leave Milltown at about 7:00 and generally hitting Ballybrit for 7:40/7:45. Left at 7:10 one day this week and it was 8:10 before I landed at work. Unfortunately the Dangan back to Oranmore part will cause you a lot of bother because the whole of the city lives on the salthill side of the bridge and works on the otherside.

Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CiaraODonnell

Anyone here pass by Corrandulla Cross during weekdays? I need to get a lift in and out from here for a new job as buses are a nightmare, they don't stop there at all really!!
    Bus Eireann's Ballina bus goes passed but doesn't stop that way returning to Galway.

This is riduculous but there is nothing we can do about it.

Burkes Buses go that way at 8am but do not return either!

Is there anyone working out that side of Galway that could help I would appreciate it

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ciara have you put in an Ad. on Galway Bay Fm for this, and in the Galway Advertiser and Tuam Herald Newspapers? Surely some-one is passing that way lol, but it may be worth paying to advertise your request as more people/motorists may hear it on the Radio, or read it in the Newspapers.

How are you managing getting there and back home again at the moment?!?! God only knows jobs of any description are hard enough to hold onto! I hope you have a lenient Boss!

Anyone here pass by Corrandulla Cross during weekdays? I need to get a lift in and out from here for a new job as buses are a nightmare, they don't stop there at all really!!
    Bus Eireann's Ballina bus goes passed but doesn't stop that way returning to Galway.

This is riduculous but there is nothing we can do about it.

Burkes Buses go that way at 8am but do not return either!

Is there anyone working out that side of Galway that could help I would appreciate it

Thanks

Advertisement