Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out which network a number is on?

• 30-03-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I sat down with my mobile bills over the weekend to look at where the big spending area's were and how could I cut down on them. The one I wanted to investigate this weekend is would it be worthwhile to moving to a package like O2 Clear Unlimited calls to O2 & landlines or O2 Experience Plus. I am currently on 02 pay-as-you-go and thankfully they make call logs available from their website in an electronic format so I downloaded the excel spreadsheet but it does not tell me which netowrk the numbers I called are on which makes it useless for assessing how many of my calls are to landlines and 02. Does anyone know of a way to check which network a mobile number is with?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

you can obviously work out which calls are to landlines but I don't think there is a way to work out which network the mobiles are with short of asking the people you call. Obviously 086 prefix is 02 but that number can be ported to another network. The only other thought is if PAYG calls to 02 are charged at a different rate to O2 numbers you could work it out that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

PDD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I sat down with my mobile bills over the weekend to look at where the big spending area's were and how could I cut down on them. The one I wanted to investigate this weekend is would it be worthwhile to moving to a package like O2 Clear Unlimited calls to O2 & landlines or O2 Experience Plus. I am currently on 02 pay-as-you-go and thankfully they make call logs available from their website in an electronic format so I downloaded the excel spreadsheet but it does not tell me which netowrk the numbers I called are on which makes it useless for assessing how many of my calls are to landlines and 02. Does anyone know of a way to check which network a mobile number is with?

Regards,

Dave
    There is a way to check if a number is on Meteor if you’re a Meteor customer, but other than that, I am unaware of any way for the other providers.

I recommend you call O2 customer care and ask. As O2 are already providing you with your prepay call details, they should be able to also advise what networks you have called. It would be in their best interest to help you too, since you are debating about moving to postpay with them, which would mean they’d receive a minimum amount each month from you over a 12/18 month period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's an article in the faq on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

meteor used to have a service where you could text them a number and they'd reply with the network.
    Pretty sure the service is gone tho.

You could ask friends what network they're on and store it as a note in the contact or something.
    For others, it should tell you on the bill wat network the number is, so you could find the numbers in your phone book and again save a note..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

put 5 after prefix and ring and will bring you to voicemail, you can sometimes tell that way

eg 086-5-1234567

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is a gap here in consumer regulation as you cannot tell how much a call is going to cost you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

i don't know of a way to tell which network exactly, but if you ring the number and hear a single beep as it's connecting, it means that they're on a different network from yours.
    Otherwise, go to the O2 forums and ask Daryll to check out which tariff is best for you. He's done this numerous times for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mobius42 wrote: »
    i don't know of a way to tell which network exactly, but if you ring the number and hear a single beep as it's connecting, it means that they're on a different network from yours.
    Otherwise, go to the O2 forums and ask Daryll to check out which tariff is best for you. He's done this numerous times for people.

I don't think that's what the beep means. Afaik it means that the person is not on the network that their prefix would suggest. So if you call an 087 number that's on vodafone and you're on a different network you won't hear the beep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think that's what the beep means. Afaik it means that the person is not on the network that their prefix would suggest. So if you call an 087 number that's on vodafone and you're on a different network you won't hear the beep
    I think what Vimes is saying is correct actually .. can't find the link on any of the operator websites though at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes thats it. When the beep is heard, the person is on another network than the prefix suggests, called a 'off-network' call

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

For meteor customers, send the number you are calling in a text to 50004(free) and you will get a reply telling you if that number is a meteor number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Very Simple, where it has the persons mobile number it will say 870871234567 or 850861234567 87 Indicates its on the vodafone network and 85 means the phone number 0861234567 is on the meteor network. Look back at your call details and see have you got it. I have anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

You're right, my bad. I must have picked it up wrong when I read about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Another way to check on meteor is to check your call log on the mymeteor website. It the network name beside the number.

Advertisement