Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron "Unofficial Manager" McGovney to perform with Metallica

• 30-03-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Ron McGovney, who left Metallica in 1982, is to return to the band after a 27 year absence and perform with them during their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction

4004-large.jpg

McGovney, above, also played in the band Phantasm and Leather Charm. Apparently he still owns the bass guitar that he used when he was in Metallica - the one Dave Mustaine poured beer in the pickup of - and if it wasn't for him the band would have not got started (they lived in a rental house owned by McGovney's parents in the early days in LA)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

/me wonders will this stop them being so crap lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Is Mustaine gonna play too?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

the_syco wrote: »
    /me wonders will this stop them being so crap lately?

Obviously you werent at the 02 in London on Saturday.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Het-Field wrote: »
    Obviously you werent at the 02 in London on Saturday.

Outlaw Torn and Fight Fire with Fire? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The YouTube vid is disabled horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

"Hi Ron, haven't seen you in years. How's that job in McDonalds going for you? Us? We're doing ok. Did you see that bit in the movie where we offered the new bass player one meeeeeelion dollars?" :pac:

feylya wrote: »
    Outlaw Torn and Fight Fire with Fire? :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

fobster wrote: »
    Is Mustaine gonna play too?! :P

hard as it may be to believe but mustaine hasn't been invited.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What's the matter?

Has Trujilo not made enough RSI payments to get into the hall?

On the other hand though, Outlaw Torn live? Yes please.

What's the matter?

Has Trujilo not made enough RSI payments to get into the hall?

On the other hand though, Outlaw Torn live? Yes please.

LISTEN TO IT...AND CREAM YOURSELF.

A metallica moment that I still cant believe I was present for !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

lord lucan wrote: »
    hard as it may be to believe but mustaine hasn't been invited.:pac:

Not that hard to believe Lordy, given how Mechanix knocked seven shades of sh*te out of Metallica's "power ballad", the chances are Metallica couldn't keep up with MegaDave these days. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Actually Mustaine WAS invited but has declined but only of the basis of other commitments.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115274

I thought that tour was over now though so maybe he'll make a suprise appearance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Let's hope he's drunk, just like the good old days :pac:

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Not that hard to believe Lordy, given how Mechanix knocked seven shades of sh*te out of Metallica's "power ballad", the chances are Metallica couldn't keep up with MegaDave these days. :pac:

i'd love to see them tear it up on stage together but sadly i can't ever see it happening,too much between hetfield and mustaine i reckon.

This party won't be the same without an appearance from Brad Parker though... He SHOULD be there too :D

i'd love to see them tear it up on stage together but sadly i can't ever see it happening,too much between hetfield and mustaine i reckon.

I could see it happening for a one night only show, i really could.
    Then we'll get the sequel to Some Kind Of Monster where they're all in therapy again!!!! :D

I could see it happening for a one night only show, i really could.
    Then we'll get the sequel to Some Kind Of Monster where they're all in therapy again!!!! :D

i have the strangest image in my head now of hetfield and mustaine in 1982 dress,bullet belts and all and in the middle is phil towle in his jumper:eek::pac:

i have the strangest image in my head now of hetfield and mustaine in 1982 dress,bullet belts and all and in the middle is phil towle in his jumper:eek::pac:

ROTFL
    Thanks Lordy, now i have that too.

Wow it's mad that Newsted is playing with them but Trujillo isn't!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/metallica-reuniting-black-album-band-for-1003957120.story

That's a very silly state of affairs! I mean yea include Newsted. The fella got a raw deal but is this not f**king Rob around a bit???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Doin a big f*uk off solo on guitar while hetfield and mustaine watch on in awe!!!! :eek::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

It all sounds grand from reading that interview with Newstead, but at any rate.... in fairness... it was 15 years of his life!!! And they're doing the Black Album so why not, esp if its all amicable?? I think its great. Anyone know if/what station it'll be on over here??

Chuchu wrote: »
    It all sounds grand from reading that interview with Newstead, but at any rate.... in fairness... it was 15 years of his life!!! And they're doing the Black Album so why not, esp if its all amicable?? I think its great. Anyone know if/what station it'll be on over here??

It's not on TV over here,it's on fuse tv in the states. They may be streaming it live on their website,i'm not sure. It's not on until 02.00 in the morning(sunday) anyway,think i'll just hit youtube on sunday afternoon.

ROTFL
    Thanks Lordy, now i have that too.

Thought you'd like that.:p

finbarr wrote: »
    Wow it's mad that Newsted is playing with them but Trujillo isn't!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/metallica-reuniting-black-album-band-for-1003957120.story

That's a very silly state of affairs! I mean yea include Newsted. The fella got a raw deal but is this not f**king Rob around a bit???

I have to see i'm more than a little dissapointed if this is true. Jason more than deserves his spot up there,i figured they'd play a song from each era with each bass player ie. mc govney would do a KEA tune,jason a TBA tune and rob a DM tune. Rob is an integral part of the band now and deserves to be up there as much as jason. jason walked out,rob imo helped haul this bands performance level up a couple of notches since he joined.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems there's negotiations to get them together... http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?&news_page=192&news_id=50352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

I have to see i'm more than a little dissapointed if this is true. Jason more than deserves his spot up there,i figured they'd play a song from each era with each bass player ie. mc govney would do a KEA tune,jason a TBA tune and rob a DM tune. Rob is an integral part of the band now and deserves to be up there as much as jason. jason walked out,rob imo helped haul this bands performance level up a couple of notches since he joined.:mad:

That is the way it should be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

I heard some of the early demo recordings with McGovney this week. Bit mad hearing The Mechanix at half speed with Hetfield singing ;)

dasdog wrote: »
    I heard some of the early demo recordings with McGovney this week. Bit mad hearing The Mechanix at half speed with Hetfield singing ;)

As opposed to listening to Mechanix at a third of the speed with Hetfield singing on Kill 'em All? ;)

MegaDave is writing his autobiography according to this article. Great stuff,i'll be buying it for sure,can only imagine the stories he's got to tell:D

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=117464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apparently, the latest is that BOTH Newsted, and Trujillo will be performing at this shindig!!

Will catch it on Youtube tomorrow!!!

Advertisement