Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence attemted rip off

Options
  • 30-03-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Was at the Ireland game on Saturday evening and went to an off licence on the way back to the train. Picked up 6 Bavaria that were advertised at €7, had no cash left on me so had to use my laser card. When I got to the till was told the minimum transaction was €10 (which I've never come across before) so I said fine give me a few bars from behind the counter to add up to a tenner. He gave me a kinder bueno and a wispa and even though it wouldve added up to less than a tenner I didnt mind as I just wanted the beer and to get my train! So I went to enter my pin and seen the total ammount for the transaction was €12.55!!!!!! I said hang on a minute how does this add up to that ammount to which he replied something like "hurry up and just enter your pin" so I said im not paying that and he just whipped my card out of the reader put the cans behind the counter and told me to get out of the shop!!!!!

So I gave him a bit of abuse and left the shop and ended up going back to a friends with no drink for the night!!

Just a word of warning to people to check what's being put on their laser especially if they've had a few drinks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

fonda wrote: »
    Was at the Ireland game on Saturday evening and went to an off licence on the way back to the train. Picked up 6 Bavaria that were advertised at €7, had no cash left on me so had to use my laser card. When I got to the till was told the minimum transaction was €10 (which I've never come across before) so I said fine give me a few bars from behind the counter to add up to a tenner. He gave me a kinder bueno and a wispa and even though it wouldve added up to less than a tenner I didnt mind as I just wanted the beer and to get my train! So I went to enter my pin and seen the total ammount for the transaction was €12.55!!!!!! I said hang on a minute how does this add up to that ammount to which he replied something like "hurry up and just enter your pin" so I said im not paying that and he just whipped my card out of the reader put the cans behind the counter and told me to get out of the shop!!!!!

So I gave him a bit of abuse and left the shop and ended up going back to a friends with no drink for the night!!

Just a word of warning to people to check what's being put on their laser especially if they've had a few drinks!

I'll assume a similar complaint is being made in writing to the manager of the place...? Especially considering the cashier didn't even deny or justify the rip off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

For the sake of other consumers who might not be as aware as you id seriously make a complaint to the manager, or if the hop is a major off license franchise then get onto their head office...

Thats a disgrace!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was at the Ireland game on Saturday evening and went to an off licence on the way back to the train. Picked up 6 Bavaria that were advertised at €7, had no cash left on me so had to use my laser card. When I got to the till was told the minimum transaction was €10 (which I've never come across before)

This comes from the shop having to pay a fee (15c I think) for every Laser transaction. If the transaction amount is small, then the fee represents a larger proportion of the profits, hence a lot of shops have a minimum transaction amount, so that they can cover the costs and still make a reasonable profit.

So I went to enter my pin and seen the total ammount for the transaction was €12.55!!!!!! I said hang on a minute how does this add up to that ammount to which he replied something like "hurry up and just enter your pin" so I said im not paying that and he just whipped my card out of the reader put the cans behind the counter and told me to get out of the shop!!!!!

It's a good thing you didn't enter the PIN, if you had, then you'd have pretty much no way to claim it back later, unless you were given a till receipt that conflicted with the Laser receipt. You should complain, in writing, to the manager of the store. You should also consider informing your bank that this retailer was trying to over charge you on a Laser transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

When I got to the till was told the minimum transaction was €10 (which I've never come across before)

I've heard this a good few times, but still, the guy was definitely trying to rip you off, make a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not name the shop in question, but you should definitely follow this up with the store manager.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

dudara wrote: »
    Please do not name the shop in question, but you should definitely follow this up with the store manager.

dudara

Dont actually know the name of the place just the location! Didnt pay much attention to it at the time!

Will look in to following it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OK I don't see the rip off. Are you saying the bars didn't add up to €5.55 how much were the bars? Do you know how many bars he gave you. Did you say a couple of a few or some?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OK I don't see the rip off. Are you saying the bars didn't add up to €5.55 how much were the bars? Do you know how many bars he gave you. Did you say a couple of a few or some?

He only asked for enough bars to bring it up to a tenner, not a fivers worth. In responce he got two small bars for which he was charged €5.55 and when querying it, got attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OK fair enough, I didn't realize he asked for the bars and beer to only add up to €10. Sorry my bad

No worries :D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looks like the shop assistant was giving themselves a tip of approximately €2.50

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

foggy_lad wrote: »
    looks like the shop assistant was giving themselves a tip of approximately €2.50

It would be a very stupid way to get a tip, through Laser and all. Most likely trying to buy himself a bar or 2 :P
    Give them hell OP.

Advertisement