Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway single women and dating

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I love the way all the ladies are saying "ah sure, 'twould be a bit of craic", which basically is code for "I really am desperate to find companionship but I'll hide that fact beneath the craic/having a laugh excuse", the lack of honesty and openness is amazing, no wonder the women in Galway drink so much, the repressed catholic maidens are alive and well here let me tell you....if only the people here could express themselves a little better, because when they do, they have a warmth and charm and modesty and mischievious yet not malicious humour that is admirable.

i was at a movie "he's just not that into you" recently with my girlfriend and there was lots of groups of female friends about and they all got over-exciteable and teary at the moment where the ben affleck character proposes to the jennifer aniston character, this was just typical hollywood rom-com garbage designed for delusional woman and to see and hear their reactions to this scene astounded me.....some of them were literally shrieking and shaking and whooping and fainting and hollering and collapsing and almost climaxing, i've never seen such a pathetic scene (on or off screen) and i really despaired for these women and their delusional fantasies and I theorised that all the women who reacted like this were the ones who had come with their female friends, on the other hand many of the sound, reasonable, mature, decent, kind-hearted, non self-centred emotional drama queen women were there with blokes

conclusion: the majority of single women in galway (who have left university) are desperate shrieking delusional exciteable types and just a bit mad to be honest, they need to get real and show some dignity and class coz many many of them lack it and they wonder why they are single

i do realise that threads like this often provoke extreme reactions, i take no pleasure in writing what I have written here, but please can we discuss the issues and not let this descent onto some petty slagging match.....I have lived in many different cities and countries and I have to say the continental women carry themselves much better in my eyes and are, for want of a better word, more "feminine", they are not ashamed of their sexuality and are able to express themselves without being drink

if the galway single women need role models then they should look no further than the eastern european women who have graced our shores, these girls dress so much better than our own, look after their bodies, are not afraid to be feminine, don't drink excessively or act all bolshy and exciteably and try to imitate the behaviours of men

I myself am going out with a Latvian girl and the difference between her and a galway teacher i went out with last year are like comparing light and day

of course this is all just my opinion, one well-travelled man's opinion, i'd be interested to see if any share my bview

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Nathan251 wrote: »
    I love the way all the ladies are saying "ah sure, 'twould be a bit of craic",

...... ramble ramble ramble ......
    ....ramble ramble .....................

of course this is all just my opinion, one well-travelled man's opinion, i'd be interested to see if any share my bview

Fixed your post

:pac:

Well I like going out on the beer/getting drunk myself so I prefer having a girlfriend that also likes going to the pub etc so I vote for Galway women.

Wouldn't be much good on a Saturday when I want to go on the lock having a woman who wants to do something else as it wouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

conclusion: the majority of single women in galway the universe (who have left university) are desperate shrieking delusional exciteable types and just a bit mad to be honest, they need to get real and show some dignity and class coz many many of them lack it and they wonder why they are single

FYP
    Women are crazy everywhere, Galway just seems to have an extra few truckloads of crazy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So you're basing your theory on women who went to see a chick flick in a big group eh?

Is it not more likely that they wouldn't be as inconsiderate as to bring their boyfriends / husbands to see a gammy chick flick in the first place?

Generalising about any group of people is always a dumb idea, but then again you think "Light and Day" are really different, so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I myself am going out with a Latvian girl and the difference between her and a galway teacher i went out with last year are like comparing light and day

So similar then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

sorry i meant night and day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I think Irish people (both men and women) are emotionally insecure. They do not express their emotional sides truthfully unless they have a few beers. I notice this when I go abroad or meet people in other countries (other than the UK). I love having good conversations about real sh1t with people. I find this hard to do in Ireland even with my mates. So I kinda see where the OP is coming from......kinda, but hey men are as bad fella!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    So you're basing your theory on women who went to see a chick flick in a big group eh?

Is it not more likely that they wouldn't be as inconsiderate as to bring their boyfriends / husbands to see a gammy chick flick in the first place?

Generalising about any group of people is always a dumb idea, but then again you think "Light and Day" are really different, so meh.

...not just basing my theory on the women who went to see the chick flick-that was just the eureka moment for me, the final dawning of the truth....the reason they didn't bring their male partners was because in my view, they didn't have any (hence the huge yearning and overreaction to the sugary sentimental scenes)...oh and there were lots of couples at this movie aswell and none of them seemed to be getting all hysterical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

conclusion: the majority of single women in galway (who have left university) are desperate shrieking delusional exciteable types and just a bit mad to be honest, they need to get real and show some dignity and class coz many many of them lack it and they wonder why they are single

Broad generalising statement there. I doubt you have met the majority of women in Galway. Dont tar us all with your ill informed opinions. By the sounds of it your spending too much time in CPs or Karma if this is all you recognise on a night out.

if the galway single women need role models then they should look no further than the eastern european women who have graced our shores, these girls dress so much better than our own, look after their bodies, are not afraid to be feminine, don't drink excessively or act all bolshy and exciteably and try to imitate the behaviours of men

Are you totally blind? The eastern european women i know as well as the ones i have seen out dress like complete tramps! No class whatsoever! Irish women are quite stylish and there are plenty who are very feminine. Eastern European women come from a totally different culture, you cant compare them with Irish women you really can't. They have very different ideas, morals and values with regard to alot of things. and may i suggest a trip to TLL here on boards if you want to read Irish womens and mens views on eating and food, theres an active thread in there at the moment. Oh and i will choose my own role models thankyou very much.

oh well bully for you, you left Ireland. Congratulations. How about you consider staying gone if what you claim to see here upsets you so much.

and no i dont share your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

By the sounds of it your spending too much time in CPs or Karma if this is all you recognise on a night out.

You've hit the nail on the head there tbh.

There are doubtlessly a proportion of single women out there who are actively trying to find a man to settle down with (and this is just nature at work after all) but your comments about how Irish women are "bolshy and excitable" and implying that they are all generally unattractive are unfair. Your "eureka" moment doesn't show many signs that you've thought this through very objectively tbh. I know Irish girls who know how to make themselves exotic and stunning and I know foreign girls who fit your caricature of Irish girls.

You make the fact that you have a Latvian girlfriend seem like you have won some sort of trophy. Good for you if you have a nice girl in your life, but get over yourself. I've dated numerous foreign girls and they are in general no better or worse than Irish girls. People are the same the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

cornbb wrote: »
    People are the same the world over.

+1

Precisely, i meant to say that in my post!

+1

Precisely, i meant to say that in my post!

you criticise me for generalising then you make the biggest generalisation of all ;)

...in all seriousness i accept that you believe earnestly in the points you are making but I respectfully disagree

I feel our environment plays a huge role in our perosnality/character, hence why irish women drink so much in comparison to their eastern european sisters, hence also why the strict catholicism and poor diet/weather has given them a poor self-image, really i am trying to deal in facts here rather than cliche and triteness

may i say 99% of the time i can identify purely from their face an eastern european woman from an irish woman, but there are also many other hints, their clothes, their body shape, even their way of walking, their eye contact.......to say we are all the same is most foolhardy in my most humble of opinions but i will concede that though we may indeed be different we are all entitled to our opinions no matter how nonsensical they may be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

oooh how unthought out your post is, it actually made me laugh outloud.

Sure i share your view. everyone knows irish men are such hard bodied, classy creatures who dress amazingly well and have been putting up with us women for years.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. the irish people aren't exactly the most attractive lot, but be careful now, i'm somewhat travelled myself and i've seen foreign men take a shine to our jolly humour and pale exotic skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I myself am going out with a Latvian girl and the difference between her and a galway teacher i went out with last year are like comparing night and day

Way to make your ex feel like sh*t if she reads this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I love the way all the ladies are saying "ah sure, 'twould be a bit of craic", which basically is code for "I really am desperate to find companionship but I'll hide that fact beneath the craic/having a laugh excuse", the lack of honesty and openness is amazing, no wonder the women in Galway drink so much, the repressed catholic maidens are alive and well here let me tell you....if only the people here could express themselves a little better, because when they do, they have a warmth and charm and modesty and mischievious yet not malicious humour that is admirable.

i was at a movie "he's just not that into you" recently with my girlfriend and there was lots of groups of female friends about and they all got over-exciteable and teary at the moment where the ben affleck character proposes to the jennifer aniston character, this was just typical hollywood rom-com garbage designed for delusional woman and to see and hear their reactions to this scene astounded me.....some of them were literally shrieking and shaking and whooping and fainting and hollering and collapsing and almost climaxing, i've never seen such a pathetic scene (on or off screen) and i really despaired for these women and their delusional fantasies and I theorised that all the women who reacted like this were the ones who had come with their female friends, on the other hand many of the sound, reasonable, mature, decent, kind-hearted, non self-centred emotional drama queen women were there with blokes

i do realise that threads like this often provoke extreme reactions, i take no pleasure in writing what I have written here, but please can we discuss the issues and not let this descent onto some petty slagging match.....I have lived in many different cities and countries and I have to say the continental women carry themselves much better in my eyes and are, for want of a better word, more "feminine", they are not ashamed of their sexuality and are able to express themselves without being drink

Well good on ya, aren't you a great lad altogether, a fine catch. :rolleyes:
    Be careful though, you may just think you are going out with her.
    The other party may think something totally different.
    Remember your PI http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336007 :p

People from different cultures / backgrounds will be different - it's what makes people unique - Deal with it. If you don't like the attitudes of Irish women, no one is making you talk to them / woo them / give them attention. Personally, I love Irish women for their (generally) more relaxed attitude. Oh, and the red fetlocks, can't forget the fetlocks rarrrrr

If you don't like the way things go here - no one is making you stay. That goes for everyone and anyone, not a stab at you OP

It's like the way people giving out stink about the recession and saying what a sh1thole Ireland is - No one is making you stay ffs, begone!

really i am trying to deal in broad sweeping generalisations here rather than cliche and triteness

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mikom wrote: »
    Well good on ya, aren't you a great lad altogether, a fine catch. :rolleyes:
    Be careful though, you may just think you are going out with her.
    The other party may think something totally different.
    Remember your PI http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336007 :p

LOL nice find :D

Seriously though OP for someone who claims to have a well-travelled worldly view you seem to be basing your opinions on well-worn clichés... has it occurred to you that you could just as easily have had a horrible time with a Latvian teacher and be happy with an Irish lady right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Why are you worrying about single girls if you're going out with someone? Is she going back to Latvia cos of the recession and you realise what you're going to be left to choose from?

BTW IMHO female Galway teachers > lativan girls and thanks for ruining the movie

oooh how unthought out your post is, it actually made me laugh outloud.

Sure i share your view. everyone knows irish men are such hard bodied, classy creatures who dress amazingly well and have been putting up with us women for years.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. the irish people aren't exactly the most attractive lot, but be careful now, i'm somewhat travelled myself and i've seen foreign men take a shine to our jolly humour and pale exotic skin.

hmmm...'fraid to say love but social convention (based on years of anthropological study of a variety of different cultures and pure common sense) would argue that more emphasis is placed on the female to look good, hence why generally you guys have tons of creams and moisturisers, take longer to get ready, apply lots of make-ups, get your hair/nails/tan done, go shopping for new clothes/shoes more frequently etc etc (need i go on?)

any academic with any kind of credibiity or reputation would argue that the pressure is predominantly on the female to look good and the male to be good company/confident/assured etc., unfortunately irish women fall down on this basic societal rule as although i accept they are a great laugh, intelligent, witty, good company etc., these are traits that are valued in a man by a woman who is looking to mate, a man who is looking to mate will prioritise looks, in this respect i feel sorry for the galway woman

the irish man, even if unattractive is more likely to mate with an attractive female than an irish female with an attractive male because the irish male has the qualities favoured by the female (good sense of humour, witty, twinkle in the eye, charm, confidence etc.-i do admit this is often fuelled by alcohol and of course i do not deny that physical attractiveness is not valued by females, it is but they can see beyond it, males cannot see beyond it so basically the irish female is doomed if she seeks a RELATIONSHIP with a high quality male, she may of course be permitted to have sex with a high quality male as males will often drop their standards for the purposes of penetration alone)

anyway i am waffling on, i hope you get the point, don't shoot the messenger, again this is just my well-researched view

• Advertisement

hmmm...'fraid to say love but social convention (based on years of anthropological study of a variety of different cultures and pure common sense) would argue that more emphasis is placed on the female to look good, hence why generally you guys have tons of creams and moisturisers, take longer to get ready, apply lots of make-ups, get your hair/nails/tan done, go shopping for new clothes/shoes more frequently etc etc (need i go on?)

Sounds like the majority of men in this country over the past few years, tbh :pac:

I'll stick with my blade 3 all over and dirty-overalls for working on the engines though :D

any academic with any kind of credibiity or reputation would argue that the pressure is predominantly on the female to look good and the male to be good company/confident/assured etc., unfortunately irish women fall down on this basic societal rule as although i accept they are a great laugh, intelligent, witty, good company etc., these are traits that are valued in a man by a woman who is looking to mate, a man who is looking to mate will prioritise looks, in this respect i feel sorry for the galway woman

Problem is that it's these 'academics' who do all the 'research' that actually know the least about women in reality. Why? Because while the normal Joe Soap is out there actually interacting with women, the 'academics' are at their desk writing theories :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a foreign guy last year who came to our course on Erasmus for a year - He could remember (in his head, down to the last letter) the majority of advanced commands for setting up QoS/Routing Protocols etc. on a Router - yet he'd never actually used a router in real life

High Quality Male!

How old are you?

You're spouting a lot of guff, I sincerely hope you're not studying anthropology as you're in for an epic fail in your exams.

Nathan251, your real name is Dmitri, isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I love the way all the ladies are saying "ah sure, 'twould be a bit of craic", which basically is code for "I really am desperate to find companionship but I'll hide that fact beneath the craic/having a laugh excuse", the lack of honesty and openness is amazing, no wonder the women in Galway drink so much, ...
    .....the majority of single women in galway (who have left university) are desperate shrieking delusional excitable types and just a bit mad to be honest,

Well put, from one well-travelled person (almost ;) ) to another, excellent analysis and description! couldn't put it better this myself!

And I can tell you the closest I've been to an Galway girl is Half Irish ;)
    I'm sorry Ladies but can't find the motivation in Irish girls anymore, lets say thanks to the Euro + Ryanair there's real competition..

mikom wrote: »
    Nathan251, your real name is Dmitri, isn't it.

Nathan is a premium dancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

...based on years of anthropological study...

...this is just my well-researched view

LOL years of well-researched anthropological study??

sigh :rolleyes:.....a somewhat predictable response from the majority of you

Can we discuss the issues at hand no matter how they pain you? You may disagree with me but do not question

A) my integrity

B) my intellectual prowess

c) my successful conquests of a wide variety od different women, i didn't mate with all of them but I learnt from every one and all I am doing is sharing wisdom with you

...you may of course have different views, the earth is a wonderful place for the richness of opinion of its inhabitants, if we all thought like me I would indeed be a boring conventional individual, i am glad to have provoked a response but let us not be sidetracked by silliness, let us not turn this into a debate about my motives/background/sanity, let us instead seek to save galway women by debating how they may be redeemed in a world that values style over substance

c) my successful conquests of a wide variety od different women, i didn't mate with all of them but I learnt from every one and all I am doing is sharing wisdom with you

I may be wrong here, but I don't think it is socially acceptable to have sex with a lady once she has od-ed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Haha -you went to a chick flick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement