Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway single women and dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leaving this open for now for the lulz, PM me if you feel otherwise OP.
    Btw, first class rant! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm sorry Ladies but can't find the motivation in Irish girls anymore, lets say thanks to the Euro + Ryanair there's real competition..
    Indeed, it's enshrined in European law.

Article 144 of the Treaty of Rome states that "No barrier, economic or physical shall be brought to impede the free movement of fine-ass bitches between the member states, **** is so cash."

I believe it was Jean Monnet himself who insisted on that Article, being an enthusiast of foreign ladies.

There's more casual misogyny here than in a golf club but it makes a change from the threads written from the other side (and we shall name no names to protect the guilty) lamenting that the males of Galway don't abide by the dating conventions of American sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

All your conquests must be so lucky... the ability to "mate" with female specimens of diverse cultural backgrounds, and years of beer/vodka-fuelled anthropological research conducted in Busker Brownes that would obviously trump any serious attempt to subjectively study the human condition. Oh, and oodles of humility.

I feel sorry for your girlfriend. Do you think she would be comfortable reading your opinions here? If yes, I feel even more sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Like most others, I winced at the OP. Self-aggrandisement with a large dose of sweeping generalisations is seldom a winning mix.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with Cornbb that women are the same everywhere. Similarities- some, the same - no.

It's a long time since I played the mating game, so I have little interest in how the teenies & 20's assess each other. But I'm kinda sick of the "if ya don't like it, why don't ya f*ck off" standard response.
    I think I started seeing it here with the immigrant workers, who might dare to have an opinion damn them, but now it seems even the Irish can be told to f*ck off out of Ireland, if they dare say something that someone doesn't agree with. It's low class, insular & does no one any credit.

That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Nathan251 wrote: »
    hmmm...'fraid to say love but social convention (based on years of anthropological study of a variety of different cultures and pure common sense) would argue that more emphasis is placed on the female to look good, hence why generally you guys have tons of creams and moisturisers, take longer to get ready, apply lots of make-ups, get your hair/nails/tan done, go shopping for new clothes/shoes more frequently etc etc (need i go on?)

any academic with any kind of credibiity or reputation would argue that the pressure is predominantly on the female to look good and the male to be good company/confident/assured etc., unfortunately irish women fall down on this basic societal rule as although i accept they are a great laugh, intelligent, witty, good company etc., these are traits that are valued in a man by a woman who is looking to mate, a man who is looking to mate will prioritise looks, in this respect i feel sorry for the galway woman

the irish man, even if unattractive is more likely to mate with an attractive female than an irish female with an attractive male because the irish male has the qualities favoured by the female (good sense of humour, witty, twinkle in the eye, charm, confidence etc.-i do admit this is often fuelled by alcohol and of course i do not deny that physical attractiveness is not valued by females, it is but they can see beyond it, males cannot see beyond it so basically the irish female is doomed if she seeks a RELATIONSHIP with a high quality male, she may of course be permitted to have sex with a high quality male as males will often drop their standards for the purposes of penetration alone)

anyway i am waffling on, i hope you get the point, don't shoot the messenger, again this is just my well-researched view

thanks thats the second laugh i've got out of you today.

not only do you make negative broad sweeping statements about irish women but you go on to be oh too positive about the male specimen. witty, smart, confident? not on average op, lets be honest. twinkle in the eye? oh dear. if i need to see a guy looking towards a light bulb to be charmed there's certainly a problem. :)

in my opinion a "high quality man" couldn't be as shallow as to be primarily looking for a slight figure and a confident swagger in a relationship. tbh such a man isn't even on radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eastern European women have a major drawback in that after the first date they expect a ring on the finger. They're much more set in domestic roles, if you like your women subservient then that's the road to go down.

Not all of course, but sure, why not throw another generalisation into the pot and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

ScumLord wrote: »
    Eastern European women have a major drawback in that after the first date they expect a ring on the finger. They're much more set in domestic roles, if you like your women subservient then that's the road to go down.

Not all of course, but sure, why not throw another generalisation into the pot and see what happens.

generalisation or not the above is pretty true... I don't know why people are so unwilling to accept that stereotypes don't just come out of nowhere.

I have to somewhat agree with the OP, Since living in Galway The majority of girls I've been with were foreign and YES there are differences..

I don't want to slate ALL Irish girls but I only ever can approach the majority when they are drinking...I remember having a good old chat with some girl working in a shop...I said we should meet for coffee some day and she pretty much laughed saying "what are you american or something" maybe a one off but Irish girls don't seem approachable/Open unless in a Pub/club situation

I'll just wait for the backlash on that one

A bit OT but I could be called racist for saying some of the following generalisation's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

you criticise me for generalising then you make the biggest generalisation of all ;)

...in all seriousness i accept that you believe earnestly in the points you are making but I respectfully disagree

I feel our environment plays a huge role in our perosnality/character, hence why irish women drink so much in comparison to their eastern european sisters, hence also why the strict catholicism and poor diet/weather has given them a poor self-image, really i am trying to deal in facts here rather than cliche and triteness

may i say 99% of the time i can identify purely from their face an eastern european woman from an irish woman, but there are also many other hints, their clothes, their body shape, even their way of walking, their eye contact.......to say we are all the same is most foolhardy in my most humble of opinions but i will concede that though we may indeed be different we are all entitled to our opinions no matter how nonsensical they may be :)

Wow, imagine that, people from different parts of the world look different! I would never have guessed that!

One of the funniest rants ever, for the comedy value that the OP seems to believe what he's saying. Some generalisations there OP, you're some man for one man.

Oh, and from your PI thread:
    anyway i did bang her, the sex was rubbish, i was too drunk, she was too self-conscious about her body and we left it at that
    Your current girlfriend must be really lucky to have ya... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 midouri

ok,
    after reading that load of rubbish i have to say ur lucky to have a girlfriend. You comment and generalise about single women acting in a certain bolshy male way.
    I'm not even going to defend myself because i have better things to do than write nonsensical reams and reams (don't drink, dress well and am independent and don't need any man).

GET A LIFE...HAHA YOU ARE PATHETIC!!
    I've never know a guy to analyse so much....have you nothing better to do??

so now i am making generalisations amn't i????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

This is a great read! man i love it when we gets these rants
    However i've an open opinion to this, use to find just girls bitches anyways, but when you move to another more modernized culture and discover the differences and then move back, you begin to understand the differences and why.
    So it's a hard point to argue, i think for the approachable part Yes. In Ireland we have a problem; allot of the traditional means of meeting people we lack today, and we haven't developed new ways to interact.
    That been said; we also got to think of the comparison. As in you ask yourself, does all flavors of people actually do the big step and move away from home?? NO, It takes a particular type of person to make the move and be different, Find and Irish girl abroad and you'll know what i mean ;)
    What i'm trying to say is I too have meet girls in other countries that are not as approachable as irish girls and this is more to do with the type of person then anything else

However, the ratio to "differcult to approach" to "welcoming" is far greater here then where i've experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Look what you are missing out on ladies another fine, intelligent, Galway man lost to those gorgeous Eastern European females coming over here stealing all our jobs and taking all our men......:P

We are not worthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I call sinanigans! It is highly unlikly that anyone could have such an obtuse attitude along with being an arragont twat.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    I call sinanigans! It is highly unlikly that anyone could have such an obtuse attitude along with being an arragont twat, and have a girlfriend.

Fixed your post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Regarding the opinion held of women who went teary eyed during that film, I was one of those. And I won't apologise for that. I'm a notorious romantic! But that's me! Look at what B. O' D this this weekend for his now fiance, romance does exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

totally agree with OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

Regarding the opinion held of women who went teary eyed during that film, I was one of those. And I won't apologise for that. I'm a notorious romantic! But that's me! Look at what B. O' D this this weekend for his now fiance, romance does exist!

true romance doesn't need gestures or gimmicks to prove it so, it is not bought with some cheap tacky display, it simply is felt without need of rings or roses of chocolates of flowers or even words, that's where a lot of you are going wrong, you are looking so hard for something that has been brainwashed into your heads by cosmopolitan magazine and hollyood rom-coms and sexist advertising that you don't know what romance is any more, you have become so appropriated by the marketing/advertising industry that all you seek now is the illusion of romance, the display, the surface gloss of it but the essence of it is beyond your materialist gaze, you have lost sight of what is real, overcome by the sugar rush for the representation of the thing, you miss the thing itself....the man on his knees presenting the ring is the dream rather than the time and years they spend together, women see the image of it but cannot feel it, you know i'm right but i'll be scorned, i expect nothing less, the world has made you so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

true romance doesn't need gestures or gimmicks to prove it so, it is not bought with some cheap tacky display, it simply is felt without need of rings or roses of chocolates of flowers or even words, that's where a lot of you are going wrong, you are looking so hard for something that has been brainwashed into your heads by cosmopolitan magazine and hollyood rom-coms and sexist advertising that you don't know what romance is any more, you have become so appropriated by the marketing/advertising industry that all you seek now is the illusion of romance, the display, the surface gloss of it but the essence of it is beyond your materialist gaze, you have lost sight of what is real, overcome by the sugar rush for the representation of the thing, you miss the thing itself....the man on his knees presenting the ring is the dream rather than the time and years they spend together, women see the image of it but cannot feel it, you know i'm right but i'll be scorned, i expect nothing less, the world has made you so

Suddenly south park springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jaysus Nathan, you're one for the verbal diarrhoea aren't you? Are you a sociology student by chance?
    Mind, I actually agree to some extent, but only some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I find this thread offensive and resent the fact that the OP is tarring all of us Galway ladies with the one brush.

FFS, we are not all hopeless romantics who are reduced to tears by soppy muck on TV.

Neither are we all fat heifers completely clueless about style or our appearance with no ambition or pride in ourselves, drinking pints and living out of the chippie. The OP generalises far too much, and I ask him to at least acknowledge that there are plenty of women who are exceptional to his theory in this city alone, nevermind the rest of Ireland.

I spend a FORTUNE on myself every month; I have everything that I can conceivably do to myself done, manicure, pedicure, facials, body treatments, good hair, good colour, body hair waxed etc etc....... and most if not all of my girlfriends are exactly the same, and dare I say it we all look BLOODY good on it. We all keep fit and generally have a really good attitude to all aspects of our life, and we're all successful late twenties/early thirties types who are doing well for ourselves and look good on it.

None of us have ever had any trouble getting or keeping a man either!

So I don't know where the OP made his observations upon which he bases his post, but I suggest he opens his eyes and looks a bit harder, cos his arguement really doesn't wash in the main tbh.

(Interestingly, my friends boyfriend used to date a russian girl, and loves how my friend is equally maintained in terms of her appearance etc, but he no longer has to endure the drama that went hand in hand with it with his last (Russian) girlfriend.)

This thread makes me mad:mad:

We are not all slobs:(

Jeez, you're still generalising about Galway women, listen mate, you must not talk to very many of them, cos if you did you'd realise they are all different, and your generalisations only apply to a few of them.
    Maybe expand your social life past one or two pubs where you're meeting these disappointing specimens and your eyes might be opened. Or maybe its only drunk women who want to talk to you... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Sorry, what is the point to this thread? :confused: If you have a girlfriend then why do you care what Irish girls are like?

You seem to think that you know all about women from your posts saying "you" are like this, "you" expect this etc.? When was your sex change that you know so much about the female mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Steamer wrote: »
    Sorry, what is the point to this thread? :confused: If you have a girlfriend then why do you care what Irish girls are like?

You seem to think that you know all about women from your posts saying "you" are like this, "you" expect this etc.? When was your sex change that you know so much about the female mind?

Girls just wanna have fun

And I suspect Nathan wants to be a girl

I find this thread offensive and resent the fact that the OP is tarring all of us Galway ladies with the one brush.

FFS, we are not all hopeless romantics who are reduced to tears by soppy muck on TV.

Neither are we all fat heifers completely clueless about style or our appearance with no ambition or pride in ourselves, drinking pints and living out of the chippie. The OP generalises far too much, and I ask him to at least acknowledge that there are plenty of women who are exceptional to his theory in this city alone, nevermind the rest of Ireland.

I spend a FORTUNE on myself every month; I have everything that I can conceivably do to myself done, manicure, pedicure, facials, body treatments, good hair, good colour, body hair waxed etc etc....... and most if not all of my girlfriends are exactly the same, and dare I say it we all look BLOODY good on it. We all keep fit and generally have a really good attitude to all aspects of our life, and we're all successful late twenties/early thirties types who are doing well for ourselves and look good on it.

So I don't know where the OP made his observations upon which he bases his post, but I suggest he opens his eyes and looks a bit harder, cos his arguement really doesn't wash in the main tbh.

(Interestingly, my friends boyfriend used to date a russian girl, and loves how my friend is equally maintained in terms of her appearance etc, but he no longer has to endure the drama that went hand in hand with it with his last (Russian) girlfriend.)

you sound nice....what are you wearing?:pac:

you sound nice....what are you wearing?:pac:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And this is calibre of poster we're dealing with.

I take your original post even less seriously now:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And this is calibre of poster we're dealing with.

I take your original post even less seriously now:rolleyes:

i was being ironic, you shouldn't take life or yourself so seriously, I admit i generalise and analyse a lot but I do so in a light-hearted way, I also have no problem with people completely disagreeing with me or indeed ridiculing me.....i'd be worried if they didn't to be honest, on the other hand you seem rather pent-up....time of the month?

I admit i generalise and analyse a lot

I rest my case:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Dude, I feel sorry for you. There is obviously a shortage of intelligent and genuine women in your life or you wouldn't feel the way you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I like how you give out to Nathan over his generalising about Galway women and then you turn around in the same post and generalise about Russian women.

dafunk wrote: »
    Dude, I feel sorry for you. There is obviously a shortage of intelligent and genuine women in your life or you wouldn't feel the way you do.

i just feel sorry for anyone who begins a post with the word "Dude"

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    I like how you give out to Nathan over his generalising about Galway women and then you turn around in the same post and generalise about Russian women.

Wasn't generalising, merely relaying an (interesting) anecdote. It was not my personla comment so please do not put words in my mouth.

I wouldn't attempt to comment or generalise on women of another nationality.I can only completely comment on Irish women; being one myself. However, nowadays, with the advent of the internet and with far greater access to all sorts of shops and salons in the majority of countries, I think that there is little difference between us all tbh. If a woman chooses to she can look her best, regardless of where she is living or originally from, then it is easy to do so. Similarly, A woman, regardless of where she is living or originally from can choose to behave as she pleases, without reflection on other women in the same area.

The OP appears to think that all Galway/Irish women look awful and have no decorum.

That simply isn't the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement