Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing overgrown are for lawn

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an area at the back of my new house which i want to make into a garden with a small vegtable patch at the rear and some fruit trees/shrubs on either side. The center of the lawn area would then cover around 50-60 sq feet.

At the moment the entire area is covered in weeds and couch grass. The ground is quite uneven and some tractor tracks are still slightly visible under the weeds. Along with this the area has a lot of stones which will need to be removed. In my haste i also jumped the gun last week and planted a small amount of carrots in a row i dug at the back of the area. Im worried that if i now spray the area with RoundUp it will affect the veg. So what are my options to clear the site? I know its not a massive area but the amount of weeds and stone make digging quite difficult but i think it will produce the best results.

Also if i dig the area should i turn the old sod back into the soil or should i remove it completely?
    Should i consider covering the entire area with plastic to kill off the growing plants first and then dig them out to remove the roots?

Ill try and get a picture to explain how it currently looks and then what i want to do.

Advertisement